Hurricane Sandy

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Yeah Irene got us pretty good so people were pretty worried including schools being closed. Aside from a little wind so far though this is much nicer weather than usual around this time of year. Gotta get ready for the cold snap after this passes though. Hope all the coastal folks made it through ok.

This storm looks like it tracked due west, where it may stall and eventually dissipate, but it was carrying a lot of moisture, so expect much wind/rain/snow over a several hundred mile wide swath.

I assume the lack of discussion means many in the direct path are either incommunicado or busy.

Good luck... we saw this coming but it is still hard to completely prepare for a storm this large and widespread.

JR

According to the predicted track,we were supposed to be in the center of the path of the storm.But the rain that was predicted never got near to what they were predicting,although it is still raining,just not in large amounts.We did have alot of wind Monday night into this morning. That caused trees to go down and power outages.We had one death from a downed tree. Over a third of the structures in our county are without power. After last years hurricane and early snow storm,I installed 8 generator hookups.I already have 4 on the books from this storm.

Got hit pretty good on Long Island. The majority of my neighborhood is dark and buzzing with generators. Some how, some way my house was one of four on the entire block that escaped serious damage and all utilities stayed on. Lost a couple trees, roofing, and some fence.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 0

Storm rolled right through Delaware but it wasn't all that bad where I am. LOTS of rain (still coming down) but on my drive into the shop today it looked like your typical rainy fall day. Worst damage I saw were my neighbors across the street pumping a few hundred gallons out of their basement, and someone's screen door ripped off the hinges.

The beach areas look like they really got it though.

Find Jason Dermer's Facebook page.. He gave a full report..He and his venue were pretty much spared.IIRC

Here is his FB post:

I'm OK. Sue and our house and belongings are OK. Asbury Audio and all of our gear is OK. Asbury Park, while much better than surrounding towns, not so good. Parts of the boardwalk destroyed, nearly every storefront facing the ocean smashed in despite plywood and sandbags. The Sunset Ave Pavillion is not much more than a shell. (Kind of already was anyhow :) )The ocean was well over the boardwalk a...nd it was debris driven by waves over 20' and a huge storm surge that seems to have wrecked everything. The doors came off of much of the arcade and it is full of sand, but Convention Hall, the Paramount, and all of the interior stores won't need much more than a mop and basement pumping. The Wonder Bar took in a bit of water but is pretty much OK. The Stone Pony lost some outside fence but was UNTOUCHED INSIDE!!!! Even the canopy entry is fine.
PLEASE- do not come to the AP waterfront, or any other waterfront town unless you need to, it is NOT SAFE. There is no power, which means no street and traffic lights, and the police have better things to do than direct traffic. In Asbury, police are stationed at every intersection along Kinglsey, there is no public access east of this point. The entire city is under 7PM curfew. Strike Force has security in all of the pavillion stores as well as in the venues.
Give us some time, we ARE Asbury Park, and we WILL be back as quickly as possible.See More

Down in Southern MD it was pretty calm. Wind stayed steady at 30-35 but it did gust up around 50 mph. It did rain a good bit and a couple large branches fell.

This storm was nothing Hurricane Irene last year (lost power for 3 days) and was “trapped” in the community for a day with several large trees down.

This storm looks like it tracked due west, where it may stall and eventually dissipate, but it was carrying a lot of moisture, so expect much wind/rain/snow over a several hundred mile wide swath.

I assume the lack of discussion means many in the direct path are either incommunicado or busy.

Good luck... we saw this coming but it is still hard to completely prepare for a storm this large and widespread.

JR

I believe Haiti and Cuba were hit really hard before the storm arrived at the US of A.

I hope people will be able to be as charitable now as after the giant earthquake: Many people on Haiti now lost the shelters they were given after the quake :(

Americans have given more than $1.5B to Haiti relief efforts after the earthquake in 2010. Haiti has long term issues with insufficient legal system. They are making slow progress but will have a difficult road out of poverty without rule of law. IMO they need more than a tent, a few hots, and a cot. While no tent, not hots and no cot, kinda sux.

Cuba will get stronger more quickly after Fidel dies of old age, while brother Raul didn't fall far from the same tree.

JR

Parts of NYC got slammed pretty bad. The building where I work is 20 feet above sea level and had to shut down after 17 million gallons of water were pumped out of the basement with another 10-15 million left. The pumps failed, the generators got flooded and failed, the building had to be evacuated. The water obviously came WAY above the previous 200+ year record surge of 11 feet above sea level and above the 14.5 foot surge that was officially reported. The evidence from the NYC data point supporting the reality and rapid progress of global warming was strong enough to get the NYC mayor, a Republican with a degree in electrical engineering, to endorse Obama, largely based on the astoundingly huge flood way beyond predictions. Time to rethink global warming and start paying more attention to the weight of the scientific evidence rather than the weight of the political lobbies.