Identify these speakers please

Re: Identify these speakers please

Thanks guys. Any opinions on them? Its hard for me to make an opinion on them since they're currently running with no DSP, just a x-over, & being fed from a behringer xenyx mixer.

If they are what Milt has said they are, then the tops at least if they are powered and processed properly are a great box. Cant really see what the sub wouldnt be a good little box as well. I would think that powered and processed they would be a great little Pub rig!!

Thanks guys. Any opinions on them? Its hard for me to make an opinion on them since they're currently running with no DSP, just a x-over, & being fed from a behringer xenyx mixer.

You really want a DSP for them, as much of the quality (in their time they were great) came from magic that the DSP could add. The horn especially needs help as it slopes off pretty quick and early as to go up in frequency. Here are some starting parameters for you if you decide to go with a DSP: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ST... Preset/Dx38 Presets - DML-1122, DML-2181.PDF

Here's the spec sheet for the tops: http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=971009

IMHO these days they are just too heavy for what you can get out of them. However, they did sound really good. The wedge version of the top kicked some serious ass, but once again was just too heavy.

Thanks Milt! That will be a big help when a DSP is purchased. They are powered by an incredibly heavy rack of Ashly amps, but I forgot to grab the model numbers today.

Short backstory, I've recently started attending a church plant that owns this rig & will start pushing for a DSP purchase with the church leadership.

And yes, those boxes are quite heavy!

The Delta Max series were designed to be used with a dedicated EV controller/processor/Eq/crossover. It was a closed loop system that had sense lines to monitor power amp output voltage and make needed adjustments as the system was cranked up.
What are they using now for processing. Do some digging around maybe the original processor is on a shelf in a storage room cast aside when someone "upgraded" the system with a new corssover. If it still works do a little reasearch and install it back into the system.
www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=970990

Last edited:

Thanks Milt! That will be a big help when a DSP is purchased. They are powered by an incredibly heavy rack of Ashly amps, but I forgot to grab the model numbers today.

Short backstory, I've recently started attending a church plant that owns this rig & will start pushing for a DSP purchase with the church leadership.

And yes, those boxes are quite heavy!
It really doesn't matter what "opinions" people may have of them-the real question is-are they doing the job the church needs them to do-ie-level-coverage response etc?

Depending on those answers-a DSP may or may not help any.

Do NOT think a DSP will "magically fix" all the issues. And let's say that a DSP could fix the "issues". Is there somebody qualified enought to measure and setup the DSP?

If not-just adding it could cause more damage than good.

It really doesn't matter what "opinions" people may have of them-the real question is-are they doing the job the church needs them to do-ie-level-coverage response etc?

Depending on those answers-a DSP may or may not help any.

Do NOT think a DSP will "magically fix" all the issues. And let's say that a DSP could fix the "issues". Is there somebody qualified enought to measure and setup the DSP?

If not-just adding it could cause more damage than good.

Hi Ivan, I completely agree with you; my request for opinions was simply to get a general feel for the boxes & to start plotting a upgrade course for the church. I didn't want to be barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

As for the needs, well right now they are making passable sound so I guess they are filling the need for pa. Is there room for improvement in the sound? Absolutely! Especially since we're meeting in a school cafeteria with much less than desirable acoustics (cinderblock parallel walls, hard floor).

As for a person to handle the DSP setup; I'm nowhere near being considered a tuning guru, but I feel comfortable enough using Smaart & my ears to make the rig sound good & not launch any voice coils ;)

IMHO these days they are just too heavy for what you can get out of them. However, they did sound really good. The wedge version of the top kicked some serious ass, but once again was just too heavy.

I just sold a whole set of those wedges... hated to let them go, because they still sounded great with the processors. But I mostly do portable events, and they were just too heavy to drag up and down stairs all the time.

definitely see if you can find the processors (EV 1152A). They do a nice job with a minimum of fuss. I'm sure they could be emulated in something modern, but not without some work.