Impossible sound installation? DIY project needs expert assistance

Tomer ellen

Apr 3, 2023
california
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create the following installation, but I'm stuck.
I already have the speakers and some small amps, but no idea how to connect everything to achieve the desired requirements.

Attaching a diagram I've made: Speakers installation diagram.png

Thank you
Tomer

Attachments

• Speakers installation diagram.png
    Speakers installation diagram.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 29
What is the context. Clearly you can’t play the same frequency on each speaker? Small ones do hf better and large ones don’t do hf at all, so I don’t quite get it. Carls comment on where the filters go also make me think you’ve got an idea in your head but explained it a bit oddly? All this could be done really simply on some mixers with multiple outputs, but do you have a mixer? Why not tell us the whole plan so we can advise better? What are you trying to do?

Hey Paul, Thank you for your reply.

I have decided to start with a simpler setup. Attaching photo.

Could you recommend an affordable mixer that can work for this setup?

My main goal is to be able to control each channel through the DAW.

As for the whole plan, I want to create a sound system that I can control the sound per speaker, and also play anything simultaneously in headphones and speakers.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Sound system setup.png
    Sound system setup.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 10
Its going to be used for experimentation.
My budget is around 200-250.
I've been told that a Behringer UMC1820 or a PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL can do the job.

What do you think?

Thank you

Pretty much most digital mixers can do this kind of thing - multiple outputs and EQ on each one. Most can do EQ and add delay too? I suspect your budget, however is going to prevent access to what you want.

You want lots of separate outs, the simple Behringer is the other way around, 6 ins to 2 outs. You need 5 outputs each with the ability to have different EQ and volume. Behringer do the 2800 two in 8 out unit but that is volume only on the outputs, no EQ.

What you want is typically called a zone controller - used to pipe music to different areas in things like clubs or offices - stereo in, but can then go to amps for areas, or speaker types. The cheaper ones do not have EQ, so you'd have to also budget for a few stereo graphics if you want to isolate bands - or go for a PA style digital crossover which usually have 4 or 6 outputs and each can have delay, gain and EQ available?

Ashly 4..24D units can often be found used on Ebay in the $200 range. Four inputs by eight outputs and ample DSP for EQ, delay and level control.
And it has a simple yet effective software control interface.

Another DSP that sells for cheap on Ebay are the BiAmp Nexia units, not as easy to program but they are fully customizable.
A couple hundred or less will get you a DSP that new was around $2000 more or less depending on the version.