Improve loudness on Samson SR950

Aditya Kumar

Jun 25, 2019
Delhi, India
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.

I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.

I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.

Since you have no issue with the sound quality from your PC motherboard, simply using a headphone amp should be fine. They are optimized for the higher impedance of headphones, while a "full size amp" is usually optimized for lower impedance. I remember the peak reading VU meters on a Yamaha P2200 pegging out "350 watt" peaks into some 150 ohm headphones, while still not overly loud...

I have been using a Rane HC 6 for about the last 20 years. It s capable of delivering up to 450 milliwatts into headphones with rated impedances between 32-600 ohms, more than enough volume (over 120dB SPL) for any musician I have ever worked with.

You can find units with one or two channels with that much output for as little as $20.

Since you have no issue with the sound quality from your PC motherboard, simply using a headphone amp should be fine. They are optimized for the higher impedance of headphones, while a "full size amp" is usually optimized for lower impedance. I remember the peak reading VU meters on a Yamaha P2200 pegging out "350 watt" peaks into some 150 ohm headphones, while still not overly loud...

I have been using a Rane HC 6 for about the last 20 years. It s capable of delivering up to 450 milliwatts into headphones with rated impedances between 32-600 ohms, more than enough volume (over 120dB SPL) for any musician I have ever worked with.

You can find units with one or two channels with that much output for as little as $20.

There are not many options/brands on in India on amazon, some are not available and some are over priced.

Which one is good amongst these :
1) Behringer MA400
2) FiiO A1
3) Cymrix HA400 MKII
4) Aokeo AMP-400
5) Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3
6) M-Audio Bass Traveler / Amazon Link
7) Pyle-Pro PHA40

Last edited:
The Behringer MA400 lists output at approx. +10 dBu (60 mW) @ 100 Ω load, output may not be might be as loud as you'd like, but probably better than the computer.
The FiiO A1 looks like a power amp optimized for 4 ohms, not what you want.
Post the specs on the rest, and I'll give you an opinion on them.

The Behringer MA400 lists output at approx. +10 dBu (60 mW) @ 100 Ω load, output may not be might be as loud as you'd like, but probably better than the computer.
The FiiO A1 looks like a power amp optimized for 4 ohms, not what you want.
Post the specs on the rest, and I'll give you an opinion on them.

Web-link already there as I linked all the models to their website where u can see specs
Thanks

I didn't notice that you had provided links, but most of them had little information to go on. You might search further for manuals or comparative reviews.

HA400MKII Max output level: +22dB (dB what?)
Aokeo AMP-400- no output specifications

Sound Blaster PLAY! 3- no output specifications
Bass Traveler-- no output specifications
Pyle-Pro PHA40 -
no output specifications

Of the models you listed, the Behringer MA400 is the only one with actual output specifications, I'd be inclined towards it just on that basis.
Art

Reactions: Aditya Kumar
I didn't notice that you had provided links, but most of them had little information to go on. You might search further for manuals or comparative reviews.

HA400MKII Max output level: +22dB (dB what?)
Aokeo AMP-400- no output specifications

Sound Blaster PLAY! 3- no output specifications
Bass Traveler-- no output specifications
Pyle-Pro PHA40 - no output specifications

Of the models you listed, the Behringer MA400 is the only one with actual output specifications, I'd be inclined towards it just on that basis.
Art

M-Audio Bass Traveler
1.PNG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found another Behringer HA400 is this better then Behringer MA400

2.PNG 3.PNG

I found another one Mackie HM-4 not sure about its performance though. (User Manual)

1597587799275.png

Also I got Behringer MA400 delivered today, It increased the volume by 20% but it's not ultraloud. You were right when you said that it will go loud but not super loud. If I can find some other better option then I can return Behringer MA400 as it has 10 days return policy on amazon.

Last edited:
The Behringer MA400 has 60mw in to a 100 ohm load, 20mw more than the HA400.
The M Audio claims approximately 250mw at 16 ohms, which probably puts it around the HA400 level, if the output halves for each doubling of impedance.

Based on only the current draw, the Mackie HM4 would probably have less output than the others.

The Behringer MA400 has 60mw in to a 100 ohm load, 20mw more than the HA400.
The M Audio claims approximately 250mw at 16 ohms, which probably puts it around the HA400 level, if the output halves for each doubling of impedance.

Based on only the current draw, the Mackie HM4 would probably have less output than the others.

So should I keep Behringer MA400 as it's the best option amongst all the ones I listed above?

Last edited:
Why limit yourself to Amazon? A headphone amp is small, any good pro audio dealer can sell and ship to you from any country.

Coz amazon has no question asked return policy for 10 days incase you don't like the performance of the product or something is wrong they do free pickup and full refund/replacement.

Like in my case I got Behringer MA400 I can return it for full money after trying it out. Amazon is best for me specially when you buying something you never have tested in real life.

So should I keep Behringer MA400 as it's the best option amongst all the ones I listed above?
Aditya,
To avoid potentially making people deaf, it appears the level the Behringer MA400 provides is probably going to be about as much as you can expect from most headphone amps with your phones.
That said, your 32 ohm Sampson SR950 phones are only 96dB at 1mw, so with 40mw max out at around 112dB. That's loud enough to potentially cause hearing damage over sustained listening, but not very loud when compared to the 60 ohm Sony MDR-7506, at 106dB at 1mw, they should be between 7 and 10dB louder, reaching 119-122 dB with the same amp. A 10 dB increase at 1kHz sounds about twice as loud, while down at 30 Hz, a 5dB increase can sound twice as loud.
There are other phones with similar sensitivity to the MDR-7506, though I can't personally attest to their quality, while the V-6/7506 have been "industry standards" since 1985. I have a pair of V6 from back then, and 8 pair of MDR-7506 from a decade later, they all still sound like they always did- very close to flat response.

Art

Aditya,
To avoid potentially making people deaf, it appears the level the Behringer MA400 provides is probably going to be about as much as you can expect from most headphone amps with your phones.
That said, your 32 ohm Sampson SR950 phones are only 96dB at 1mw, so with 40mw max out at around 112dB. That's loud enough to potentially cause hearing damage over sustained listening, but not very loud when compared to the 60 ohm Sony MDR-7506, at 106dB at 1mw, they should be between 7 and 10dB louder, reaching 119-122 dB with the same amp. A 10 dB increase at 1kHz sounds about twice as loud, while down at 30 Hz, a 5dB increase can sound twice as loud.
There are other phones with similar sensitivity to the MDR-7506, though I can't personally attest to their quality, while the V-6/7506 have been "industry standards" since 1985. I have a pair of V6 from back then, and 8 pair of MDR-7506 from a decade later, they all still sound like they always did- very close to flat response.

Art

Thanks Art, you are the most technically sound person on any audio forum. I tried other forums but no one has technical knowledge like you and could compare amps based on their specs. They all were just recommending based on popular brand names or hearsay from other people or past experience.

I think I might have to spend more then $200 on headphones minimum coz Samson is just entry level headphones just for studio monitoring & flat type of music listening.

Is there even a headphone which can serve all purpose well like playing bass heavy electronic music + surround sound in FPS gaming + good cinematic experience in movies !! Or do I need to buy 3 headphones 1 for gaming, 1 for music and 1 for movies ?

Is there even a headphone which can serve all purpose well like playing bass heavy electronic music + surround sound in FPS gaming + good cinematic experience in movies !! Or do I need to buy 3 headphones 1 for gaming, 1 for music and 1 for movies ?
I think the Sony MDR 7506 hold up well for music of all types, but have no idea if there are new technologies/multiple transducers used for surround sound.
I would prefer to use a neutral set of phones and add bass with EQ if desired, rather than have a "bass heavy" set of phones.

This website has some great data on almost 500 different types of phones, probably a better place to look than to an old deaf guy who has used the same phones forever ;^).

They do some extensive testing, you should be able to get some comparative "bang for the buck" information there.

Art

Reactions: Aditya Kumar
The MA400 has 10dBU (2.5 volt) output, 60mw in to a 100 ohm load.
The FIFINE N6 has 16dBU (4.9 volt) output, but does not specify the load impedance. It may, or may not have 6dB more output potential in to your headphone impedance, depending on it's current limiting, but the power supply being 1 amp does make it look like it may have more output potential than the MA400 .

Looking at some You Tube video reviews, it will clip if the drive device output is set too high, and the low end may be rolled off below 100Hz.

The MA400 has 10dBU (2.5 volt) output, 60mw in to a 100 ohm load.
The FIFINE N6 has 16dBU (4.9 volt) output, but does not specify the load impedance. It may, or may not have 6dB more output potential in to your headphone impedance, depending on it's current limiting, but the power supply being 1 amp does make it look like it may have more output potential than the MA400 .

Looking at some You Tube video reviews, it will clip if the drive device output is set too high, and the low end may be rolled off below 100Hz.

Alright so it might be louder but the sound quality on it is not good at all.

i thought same that it need 1amp current input so it might be more louder but I guess FIFINE is not good in terms of internal components coz on Behringer MA400 there is 0 distortion or any issue even at max volume on both source and amp