Improving perceived loudness when system is constrained

Re: Improving perceived loudness when system is constrained

Most manufacturers are on this bandwagon already. Look at the JBL CBT series or Sennheiser K series and there are a few others such as Bose Pro. These work great but you will need to augment the bass on all of these in one way or another. The principle is the same on all of these and phase cancellation is a key to making them perform. Some of these are already are being used in movie theaters and churches which usually have difficult to work with acoustic challenges. The end result is usually more than acceptable if the installation is designed well.
But the thing that people like to "forget" (and manufacturers supress) is that there are lobes that come off the back-that can be just about as loud as the front-depending on the freq -the size of the unit and so forth.

It is NOT this pretty pattern that is in the marketing data

Attachments

• line_array_coverage.png
    line_array_coverage.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 0

I'm working on reducing audible penetrations from a first floor business into a fifth floor neighbor's apartment in the range of 630-800 Hz. The type of material in the first floor space is fitness class instruction and club-type workout music.

While lots of work has been done to isolate the space, I've been asked to explore innovative loudspeaker isolation techniques that are non-invasive, or system processor tweaks that will increase perceived loudness without putting additional energy into the room. We use Rane processors, Lab Gruppen amps, and yoke-mounted QSC ADs-series installation loudspeakers (8-inch and dual 8-inch models).

Thanks in advance.

Here is the cheapest solution:

Overdrive the inputs and make sure everything is super distorted... then you can turn down the volume without most of them realizing that the levels are now lower. From my experience, people perceive distorted sound as louder, specially when their hearing is already damaged...

It is surprising how few people can relate crystal clear program material @ 110dB to being louder than 90dB with a good dose of distortion.

\m/

...My serious suggestion is low power FM transmitter and ear buds...
JR
Interesting urban problem. Given the complexity of the likely flanking routes of sound transmission and the legalities of the lease, this sounds like the most practical and cost effective solution. Here is one possible way to implement it. The participants bring their own IEMs or you can sell them at cost to members, and you provide individual wireless or wired headphone amps with volume controls, limiters, and an IEM monitor mix that includes the backing music, the instructor's mic and maybe an additional ambient mic. You would obviously need to play around with the configuration and mix. Make them sign a waiver if they want to bypass the limiter or use more sensitive IEMs, waiving their right to sue you if they have hearing loss later in life, as many will.