In my 3rd year of High School... Now what?

Re: In my 3rd year of High School... Now what?

I, for one, have no problem with this. I know how to write in cursive but I can't think of a single instance where I am required to. Even quick notes are usually taken on my iPhone or computer. This way they are instantly synchronized between all devices and archived for later use.

I am not advocating that we should stop teaching kids how to write but I don't think cursive is particularly useful these days.

Hello,

I don't think much of cursive either,(it's a lost art, and most people can't even read their own writing) or it's usefulness in today's society either. But, FF sake...they need to sign their name to their 1-9's, W-2s, Employment papers, Paychecks, ...and if a person were to get a credit card....?

And....this is what I was posting about...signing THEIR own NAME....

Hammer

Hello,

In my previous post, I wrote that I felt my first semester was a waste of time. The classes that I was forced to take, I found irrelevant to my Major, and while any or all knowledge can be a useful in life, I was PAYING for a specific outcome, not to just take some classes..... especially classes like the Slide rule 101, I already knew how to use a sliderule, and though extremely expensive, electronic "slide rule calculators" were becoming available.
Understanding how slide rules work (adding logarithms) is actually pretty cool, but I fear lost on kids today who just ask their computer. I guess with better voice recognition, kids won't need to know how to type either (apple just bought another voice recognition company so more of that is coming)... I still have the slide rule I used on an old electronics job to figure out filter values and stuff.. before we even had pocket calculators (boy am I old).

I recall an old science fiction short story about some time in the distant future when somebody discovers an old algebra text, and people are finally able to rebel against the computers, and figure out stuff by themselves, again. :)

-clip---

Yes, the population is becoming more obese, but, sometimes it's more than just the laziness or gluttony factor, in many cases it's economic. There have been numerous studies that show that cheaper food is more unhealthy than quality foods. With the rising prices, combined with a high unemployment rate, and a lessening of the dollar's value.....people are buying cheaper foods....what they can afford. 1 out of 6 American children are considered malnurished and the same amount are not fed three meals a day.

There have also been numerous studies that show that cheaper foods are more addictive, higher fat/caloric content means cravings of more of the same.
The food industry loads processed foods up with fat and sugar to get us to eat more... It makes them more money that way... But we humans should have the judgement to understand how and why we get overweight. Just say no.

I see far far more fat kids than skinny, with their food stamp toting mamas at the wally world where I shop, and it doesn't cost anything to work up a sweat...

This whole victim culture of "it's not their fault... blame _____edited out

There are people really starving in Africa, who would love to experience poverty here.
And, while some see the Wall Street Protesters as radicals and nuts, whether you agree with them or not, they have the right to assemble, the right to protest, and they have the right to NOT be beaten, pepper sprayed, thrown to the ground, stomped, kicked or have their arms broken while doing so. And I disagree with you JR, when you say that Wall Street is a sucessful element of the Economy.
edit- I know you are not speaking to me directly-

I have been trying to ignore the protests in NYC. it seems they weren't getting enough press attention so they staged a mass arrest by blocking a lane of the brooklyn bridge. Duh... NYC police are well trained and pretty professional, so if they get into physical altercations they probably started it.

"I don't think we're asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again," (columbia U grad student).

Damn.. I recall back in the '70s worrying about how I would pay the rent, with some very tight times after i started my first business... I didn't even think to protest other people who had more money than I did. I recall macaroni and cheese being pretty filling and cheap.

Wall Street has been the PROBLEM with the Economy. .... but that's for another time.

Hammer

Hammer

Yup, lets save that for another time...

I expect we will get enough blame and finger pointing over the next year to explain/excuse the poor state of the economy.

Good luck to us all...

and i apologize for feeding this veer...

Stay in school and learn while it's relatively easy and accessible, it won't be as easy or as much fun later on. Who knows after you graduate maybe you can go to a protest on wall street. I recall back in the '60s there were lots of hot girls at the anti-war rallies in Boston.

JR

Last edited:

I really appreciate all the reply's guys, sorry I couldn't contribute more ( I don't really know what to say, haha). Thanks for everybody's advice, and info overall. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere that's at least a "little" near me that I can start to volunteer/intern at for experience. If anybody wants some free labor from time to time for concerts or the like, feel free to contact me if you're in Mass :)