In my email today from A&H

Re: In my email today from A&H

Now we can hang the console on the bike rack security fences and the lighting people can take up even MORE room at FOH.

Hopefully the layout isn't like their current boards with the inputs & output channels split. (I'd rather see the layers of input 1-16, input 17-32, output 1-16).

So what you are saying is that you have never been on a GLD, right. You have more flexibility on fader assignment with the GLD than any other console that I know of. Any fader in any bank on any layer can be any input, output, group, dca, aux, FX send, FX return, matrix, etc. You can duplicate your faders anywhere you want also so that you always have what you need no matter what layer you are on. It is the most brilliant way to assign faders also, drag and drop into place where you want them.

When you look at the GLD, you see 12 faders on the left and 8 faders on the right. Those are separate banks. Each bank has four layers. This way you can switch between a lot more channels and outputs so much easier rather than just having four layers of 20 faders each. Again, any fader can be anything you want them to be.

I keep mine pretty simple though....
Bank 1
Layer 1. Vocals 1-8 plus four spare faders
Layer 2. Drums
Layer 3. Instruments
Layer 4. Vocals 1-8 set with auxes post delay for running monitors at FOH on separate channels, stereo inputs.

Bank 2
Layer 1. Monitor sends, aux subs send, L/R send
Layer 2. DCAs, L/R send
Layer 3. FX returns, L/R send
Layer 4. FX sends, L/R send

In my typical set up, I have everything assigned the way you don't like it but I offer change thing on the fly depending on the requirements of the performers. I can change assignments in real time without interrupting the signal.

I absolutely LOVE the iLive and GLD layouts with separate sides with their own layers. Makes mixing quite simple once you get the hang of it. Making anything anywhere, or everywhere is just plain awesome.

The only problem is the GLD now is in the hi-mid priced category. When it first came out, it brought high end features out of the stratosphere into the serious environment. Of course, in the last year, the competition on the low end has heated to a point where the GLD looks expensive.

If they can get these into the $125-150/channel price range for a console, I'm definitely going to be interested.