Insert vs Send and Return

jamespgarrett12

Freshman
Apr 3, 2015
If I wanted to put reverb on live drums, is there any advantage to inserting a reverb into the drum group and returning it vs using an aux to sent to the effects rack and returning it? Any reason people demo the first one? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone

For starters you have to do all your EFX work in device parameters... it's easier to return FX to input channels and EQ and set levels there. Also if you want to use the same reverb for more than drums, you'd have to assign those inputs to the drum group. Maybe that's okay, maybe not.

I suspect inserting an effect into a group goes back to days of having few open channels on consoles. I'm sure the recording guys have their own workflow reasons for doing this, too.

If I wanted to put reverb on live drums, is there any advantage to inserting a reverb into the drum group and returning it vs using an aux to sent to the effects rack and returning it? Any reason people demo the first one? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone

You probably don't want the same channels (OH's? depends on the genre) and balance in the drum group (more snare/toms verb than kick verb.... probably) going through the reverb. Aux sends allows you to choose on a channel by channel basis which channels go, and how much reverb.... as well as opening up that FX unit to be used for other inputs as well that may NOT be going through that group.