Interfacing Telex 4-pin XLRF headsets with RTS PB-325 intercom beltpacks

Hal Harrison

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2011
Greenville, SC
www.harrisonpro.net
Good day all,

I have been doing several fly-date corporate gigs lately where RTS intercom systems are being supplied. I keep a Telex PH-88 (with 4pin XLRF connector) in my Pelican for these gigs but I end upi having to use the often supplied bulky Beyer DT-109 headsets instead of being able to use my PH88 as the RTS beltpacks (BP325) have a 4pin XLRF connector as well as a 5pin XLRF connector (labeled mono headset for the 4pin and stereo headset for the 5pin). As the PH88 headset is mono one would assume that I could just get a 4pin XLRM barrel and use the 4pin XLRF connector on the BP325 although it makes no sense to me why RTS would put a female connector on their beltpacks. My question is quite simple - is that all I need? i.e. a 4pin XLRM barrel to make my PH88 work with RTS 2-ch intercom beltpacks or do I need to make a custome 5-pin to 4-pin adapter cable and use the 5-pin XLRF connector on the beltpack which is what the Beyer DT-109 uses to connect the headset to the beltpack?

Thanks
Hal

The pinouts on the RTS packs are: 

Monaural Dynamic-mic Headset Connector
XLR-4-31 receptacle (J13)
Pin 1 - Microphone low
Pin 2 - Microphone high
Pin 3 - Common
Pin 4 - Headphone high

Stereo Dynamic-mic Headset Connector
XLR-5-31 receptacle (J14)
Pin 1 - Microphone low
Pin 2 - Microphone high
Pin 3 - Common
Pin 4 - Headphone left high
Pin 5 - Headphone right high

Clearcom and RTS/Telex pinouts for the headset are the same. A simple gender bender should do the trick for you.  The only difference between the 4 pin and 5 pin connectors is stereo audio.  Not too critical for coms, unless you are also using them for monitoring.

Let me know if you guys can find an off the shelf barrel adapter for a 4 pin m-m. I tried to find some and wound up just building short cables to accomplish the same thing. I would have much preferred an proper barrel. I believe that it used to be a Neutrik item but they no longer carry that SKU.

thomas d.

Let me know if you guys can find an off the shelf barrel adapter for a 4 pin m-m. I tried to find some and wound up just building short cables to accomplish the same thing. I would have much preferred an proper barrel. I believe that it used to be a Neutrik item but they no longer carry that SKU.

thomas d.

Yes, Digikey and Mouser are showing the Neutrik 4-pin barrel as obsolete.
There is this option, which is obviously not a Neutrik or Switchcraft:
http://www.audiopile.net/DMX-4M4M

Mike

Reactions: Thomas Dameron