IRP (defunt company) mixer replacement?

Scott Helmke

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.scotthelmke.com
Anybody remember a company called IRP? I ran across a rackmount 8-channel mixer in a church (wireless install), has a couple bad channels. The interesting thing is that this is apparently an automixer, though it just looks like a cheesy 80's rackmount mixer.

We might recommend a more modern automixer / all-in-one product, like the Lectro Aspen, though something with actual knobs might be nice since that's what they're used to.

Re: IRP (defunt company) mixer replacement?

Anybody remember a company called IRP? I ran across a rackmount 8-channel mixer in a church (wireless install), has a couple bad channels. The interesting thing is that this is apparently an automixer, though it just looks like a cheesy 80's rackmount mixer.

We might recommend a more modern automixer / all-in-one product, like the Lectro Aspen, though something with actual knobs might be nice since that's what they're used to.

if all you need is knobs then the Shure SCM810 should fit the bill

Jason

though something with actual knobs might be nice since that's what they're used to.

There are a ton of things that you can do in that environment... The Shure SCM-810 is a good choice, but you may want to also consider:
If you want to go with an all in one digital box solution: Peavey Digitool MX16 or Digitool LIVE depending on your connector preference.
If you want to maintain the knobs and stick with a more analog situation: the Automix Control 8 would retain your knobs and give you some other cool functions.

Anybody remember a company called IRP?
Industrial Research Products, Inc. Voice-Matic mixing, transversal equalizers, early digital delay and a lot of nice technology for the time. Back in the late 80's and 90's when they were based out of Elk Grove Village, IL I worked with a ton of their stuff, both the standalone products and the modular System 41 products. They were very reliable and effective, they were the default mixers and equalizers for all LDS churches and I used IRP products in projects such as courtrooms and a nuclear power plant. IRP was then bought by I believe a German company and slowly faded away.

Foir a simple, rack mount 8 input automixer with front panel controls, the Shure SCM810 uses Intellimix (their combination of noise adaptive threshold, NOM count and last mic on functionality), the Biamp autoTWO uses adaptive threshold automixing with speech frequency filtering, the Rane AM2 is a gain sharing automixer and the Protech Model 2008 uses the Dugan Speech System.