Is QSC PL 4.0 good on subs?

Gary Weller

Sophomore
Mar 11, 2011
Il.
Don't have any experience with them on subs, just the 6.0 & 9.0's which sounded fine.

Anybody here use them or have used them on subs?

Also how are they bridged into 4 ohms?

Are they better than a Crown xti or about the same?

Thanks,

Re: Is QSC PL 4.0 good on subs?

They are WAY better than an XTi, but they're a completely different amp. They're old-school, heavy (still have a switching PSU though), power-hungry amps.

If the power rating is what you need to get your subs where you want them to be, then you're going to be fine.

An XTi should only be purchased if the DSP is going to be used, and even the XTi6000 was pretty unimpressive to me on subs.

Heavy? I think it weighs 32lbs. Nowhere near a crest 8001 or similar. Power hungry is definitely not good though. I know they have a 30 amp plug. I think I'll hold out for a used iTech next year when they'll be even cheaper (I hope) money is a huge concern. I'd rather cry once!

Hate working on such a low budget.

Last edited:

I have used a PL 4.0 with subs for almost 10 years now. 1600 watts per side at 4 ohms in a 20 amp circuit - no problem. The 4.0 has a 30 amp plug, I use an adaptor cable for 20 amp circuits. Bridged or at 2 ohms they do need some power, but what doesn't?

I have used a PL 4.0 with subs for almost 10 years now. 1600 watts per side at 4 ohms in a 20 amp circuit - no problem. The 4.0 has a 30 amp plug, I use an adaptor cable for 20 amp circuits. Bridged or at 2 ohms they do need some power, but what doesn't?

They're actually 1400\side @ 4 ohms, the 1600W rating is @ 1khz.