Issues with Multiple Generators Powering Band/FOH?

Mitch Miller

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2012
I've a fairly remote event coming up and there was some discussion regarding power availability. One of the band members mentioned they have a couple of Honda EU2000i generators we can use if the facility power is insufficient. I've seen this done before, but only when using a parallel kit.

I'm kind of leary of running two generators w/o the parallel kit, but not sure if my concerns are warranted. Are there issues with (say) running the band from one generator, and FOH from another?

Incidentally, I did a search, and didn't find anything offering any explanations.

Thanks,
Mitch

This has been discussed over at ProSoundWeb a few years back. IIRC the consensus was that a single WhisperWatt or similar "real generator" be used, followed by a large inverter generator like the Honda EU7000, then a pair of smaller inverter generators with the parallel kit. Nobody was particularly comfortable with the idea of separate generators for back line and PA, even if there we no direct inputs taken from bass rigs or keyboards.

We can get into the "why" that separate gensets are a bad idea if someone needs schooling... but it only takes 1 mis-wired quad box, extension cord or vintage guitar amp to put 120V between the microphone and guitar strings, the only thing separating them being the air space between the microphone and the guitarist's lips.

If your only option is to use 2 small generators, you need to tie the generator grounds together at an absolute minimum. The use of a parallel kit that also ties the neutral and line conductors together is also a very good idea if the generators support it (the EU2000i does). I'd also strongly recommend GFCI protection for all circuits.

Running 2 independent power sources without tieing the grounds together is asking for stray currents on signal wires (or through people), up to the limit of what the generator can provide (so ~20A at 120V in your case), a rather unsafe condition.