It all started with a light...

Re: It all started with a light...

Not sure what this has to do with sound, unless you smacked your thumb with a hammer. (anything goes here) Very nice work, what are you doing next weekend? I always say you start on a simple job that should only take a hammer and a screwdriver and before you know it you have every tool you own out on the job. Don't know about you but I have allot of tools.

I am surprised the outlet is permitted to be mounted that close to the sink! Over here there are regulations that would never allow that.
Darren
Blame electric razors, hair dryers, and curling irons. The thinking is that it's better to have the receptacle close to the appliance rather than the cord hanging across the room. As JR said, protection comes from the GFCI. Our GFCIs trip at between 3mA-5mA. I think I read that yours trip at a higher threshold?

Evan,I noticed one wire was white and one yellow.You're not feeding the light with a 14 gauge wire off the 12 gauge for the recepticle are you?

I know nothing of Evan's situation, but 12-ga romex used to be white as recently as about 15 years ago. It's also possible the white wire is for something else, and it is also perfectly acceptable to use 12-ga wire on a 15A circuit.

Blame electric razors, hair dryers, and curling irons. The thinking is that it's better to have the receptacle close to the appliance rather than the cord hanging across the room. As JR said, protection comes from the GFCI. Our GFCIs trip at between 3mA-5mA. I think I read that yours trip at a higher threshold?
EDIT: My brain was in neutral...

Last edited:

The only outlet that is allowed in a British bathroom is a 2 pin shaver socket (accepts europlugs, shaver plugs and generally NEMA 2 pin). This is protected (and has to be by law) by an isolating transformer and by a maximum of a 5 amp fuse.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625

The only outlet that is allowed in a British bathroom is a 2 pin shaver socket (accepts europlugs, shaver plugs and generally NEMA 2 pin). This is protected (and has to be by law) by an isolating transformer and by a maximum of a 5 amp fuse.

So what do you do when you need to run a circular saw in the bathroom?

Yes, but British power wiring is generally weird...

US codes typically require a dedicated 20A circuit for bathrooms, protected by a GFCI. Blame hair dryers for that.