Jbl as4725 = sr4725x?

Lee Douglas

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2011
Northwest
I've been looking for a second pair of SR4725X tops to match something I already have and came across a couple of AS4725 speakers on Craigslist. On paper they look pretty close. The seller has physically modified them and added handles and corners, but the rest is intact. I was thinking that these were a flyable, install version of what I already have, but I'm not sure. I'll call Harmon tomorrow, but in the mean time, anyone have any advice? And while I'm asking, how similar is the sound of the JBL SRX715 and the SR4725X? Not intending to use them combined, but rather replace what I have with two pair of 715 tops (smaller footprint and tighter dispersion), instead trying to find another pair of older speakers. Thanks.

Re: JBL AS4725 = SR4725X ?

I can't (or don't know how to) correct my thread title which should read "JBL AS4725 = SR4725X?" as questioned in the original posts body.

Re: Jbl as4725 = sr4715x?

Even if the driver compliment is the same, the horn flare, crossover, and box heavily affect the sound. I wouldn't consider them equivalent at all, and I haven't even bothered looking up the specs.

The SRX715 will walk all over the SR4725X - mainly because the HF driver in the SRX715 is a large format, high power unit. The 2426 in the SR-X cab is really, really good, but it is still a 1" driver and is no match for the larger one in the SRX box.

Re: Jbl as4725 = sr4715x?

Another major difference is the 4725 is a 90X40 horn, whereas the 715 is a 75X50.

The 4725 had a little bit better low end response, but not as much as the specs may lead you to believe. The added power handling of the 715 helps balance that out.

The big difference, for mobile applications are that the 715's weigh in at 48 pounds, versus a hefty 77lbs of the older model, much of which comes from the neo magnet in the new speakers. When I was in the market for speakers, 50 pounds was the limit, and the 715's fit nicely. I've had a dozen of them for 6ish years now, and they have served me quite well.

Re: Jbl as4725 = sr4725x?

Even if the driver compliment is the same, the horn flare, crossover, and box heavily affect the sound. I wouldn't consider them equivalent at all, and I haven't even bothered looking up the specs.

Looking at the service manuals, the AS and SR 4725X appear to be nearly identical. The cabinets are all within an inch or so of the same size, the horns and drivers are the same. The Tuning appears to be similar. I don't know about the passive crossover. I believe the only major difference is the cabinet's handles, grill, and flying hardware.

Looking at the service manuals, the AS and SR 4725X appear to be nearly identical. The cabinets are all within an inch or so of the same size, the horns and drivers are the same. The Tuning appears to be similar. I don't know about the passive crossover. I believe the only major difference is the cabinet's handles, grill, and flying hardware.

From what I've been told the AS is the install version of the Sr. Virtually the same without handles. Flyware was available on the AS but you had to order it.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that were very close in most respects. Handles (and plastic corners?!!) have been added by the seller. The allure of newer, smaller footprint, tighter dispersion and better sound (and now less weight!) may prove to be too alluring. But then again so is a good deal on a matching pair of cabs.