JBL SRX800P questions - control and networking related

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I'm continuing to investigate these guys after the positive experience I had listening to them earlier this week. For all of you JBL-connected folks, I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers to:

- The marketing material mentions the "JBL SRX Connect" mobile app. This isn't on the Apple store yet. Any idea of a release date?
- The web page mentions "third party wireless router capability is included" with regard to the network port. Any idea what this means? I.e. will JBL be selling a Wifi bridge that they recommend? Dare I hope that it would be PoE capable so just plug it into the networking port and go?

I've asked these questions of my dealer, hopefully he can get some answers, but thought I'd cast a broader net.

Thanks!

Re: JBL SRX800P questions - control and networking related

TJ - If you don't mind me asking, what was your thoughts on how they sounded, as compared to other speakers. Were you able to A-B them to anything else?

Check out the "favorite midrange powered speaker" thread in the Varsity section for some thoughts. I haven't heard all of the boxes that Dan has, but I was pretty impressed with the SRX815 that I heard compared to the QSC boxes I brought for comparison.
I'm trying to get a chance to hear the Ev box that Dan chose against the SRX, but will likely end up with the JBL since I'm a JBL shop. It's amazing how far tech has moved in 5 years. Compared to the HPR122i boxes I own, the SRX812P weighs several pounds less, goes 5dB louder, and 20Hz lower, not to mention how much better it sounds doing all of those things.

Check out the "favorite midrange powered speaker" thread in the Varsity section for some thoughts. I haven't heard all of the boxes that Dan has, but I was pretty impressed with the SRX815 that I heard compared to the QSC boxes I brought for comparison.
I'm trying to get a chance to hear the Ev box that Dan chose against the SRX, but will likely end up with the JBL since I'm a JBL shop. It's amazing how far tech has moved in 5 years. Compared to the HPR122i boxes I own, the SRX812P weighs several pounds less, goes 5dB louder, and 20Hz lower, not to mention how much better it sounds doing all of those things.

Hey TJ, here is the link to your post in that thread: https://soundforums.net/threads/117...-powered-speaker?p=91661&viewfull=1#post91661

Thanks - didn't have time to do the copy and paste from my phone last night.

There's a thread in the Lounge on PSW about a trap system that had some interesting points. The discussion came up about the Danley SM80 being compared with KF850s. I'm not sure that is entirely a real comparison, but the fact that we're talking about a 60lb speaker on a stick in the same conversation as a 500lbs worth of large format trap boxes illustrates just how far we've come in 20 years of tech.

The SRX815P claims 136dB. Assuming that's real, that means 100dB(something) at 200' from just one box per side. There are an awful lot of shows that can be easily done with that kind of output (yes I know this is a simplification and probably not realistic). This generation of FIR-equipped boxes means they are going to sound good with less effort in more situations, and having built-in mains and monitor presets helps the average user not have to worry about how the box changes on the floor. The modern boxes that have multi-angle pole cups solve another problem of getting the sound over people's heads. You can put the boxes 12' in the air at the -7.5° setting and still cover standing people 10' from the box.

All of these things mean it's easier than ever to get good sound.

I just heard back from JBL via my dealer and the SRX Connect app is supposed to be available in the Apple App Store in the next 1-2 weeks. There is no particular wireless provision - any wireless connectivity is via a 3rd party bridge just like any other wired device would be.

If I were working on a team designing a new powered speaker I would think we'd get the recent competition in house for comparison. So I'd assume the SRX800 people had recent FIR-based boxes at similar price points for comparison and wouldn't release something until they liked what they heard. Hopefully a rising tide lifts all ships.

If I were working on a team designing a new powered speaker I would think we'd get the recent competition in house for comparison. So I'd assume the SRX800 people had recent FIR-based boxes at similar price points for comparison and wouldn't release something until they liked what they heard.
Agreed. The Yamaha DSR series is now a couple years old. The EV ETX series was announced at winter NAMM 2014 and has been shipping for almost a year. It's a safe bet that JBL has taken a very good look at both of these boxes before releasing the SRX800 series.

There are some interesting differences that are apparent from published information. The horn on the EV ETX is significantly larger than the JBL, and the box volume is smaller than the JBL. EV does a cool thing where the port comes out directly under the horn. The JBL has conventional ports. The EV has no networking and (other than presets and factory tuning) has a 3-band fixed-Q PEQ, but it is adjustable right from the panel of the speaker. JBL gives you 20 full PEQ bands, but you have to set them via external means - the IPad app, Audio Architect, etc.

I can see advantages and disadvantages for both. If I were doing an install, the SRX would be very useful, as an Ethernet cable to each box gives me all the control I could ever want, and no external DSP would be required. For portable use, the EV's onboard EQ could be pretty handy for small events where you just want to stick an SM58 right in the back of the speaker. Normal events where you have a digital board these differences are largely mitigated, as it's easier to adjust the EQ from the board rather than either the back panel of the EV or the JBL software.

After hearing the SRX800 and hearing Dan's preference for the EV, I know both products are very solid, and my choice will likely be based on sticking with my house brand, even if the EV sounds a little better in some situations. I am going to have a chance to listen to the SRX vs the ETX next week.

Hopefully a rising tide lifts all ships.
Absolutely. I asked my dealer if he had heard JBL's VP series against the new SRX with FIR. He hadn't, but guessed that the SRX would hold its own, as the VP series is based on the previous non-FIR capable Drive Pack platform. It's a good day when an $1100 speaker starts to match the performance that used to cost $2500.

The SRX Connect app has been posted to the Apple App Store. In offline mode you can play around, but some functions are not available - speaker delay settings are limited, and not all 20EQ bands are present. It's pretty easy to use in its initial form. I'm going to listen again tomorrow and will try to bring a wireless router so I can play with them online to see how the app behaves then. It's possible the missing functions will become available.

I had my listening time on Friday, this time comparing the SRX815P to the EV ETX series. I brought a wireless router along and played with both the SRX Connect app as well as Audio Architect.

SRX Connect is an interesting app. The intent is to present a simplified setup for an all SRX800 series system, so some things are left out. The setup screen has a number of boxes that indicate speaker function - L&R mains, subs, L&R fills, rear fills, and monitors. Dragging the discovered speakers in one of these boxes affects the options you get. For example, putting a speaker in the L&R main box sets the box preset to "Main", and your only other choice is the "Speech" preset. Putting the box into the monitor section automatically recalls the "Monitor" preset. All locations have lots of EQ bands available, only some have delay and compression.

If you do have an all-SRX system, this app will help you get started faster, as the crossover settings are automatically set depending on which mains and subs you choose and because of the preset selection I mentioned earlier. There are a couple oddities, though. I was not able to discover the speaker until I turned cellular data off on my IPad. The other confusing thing is that where you tap affects what options you get, and it's not always intuitive how that works. You can tap a single speaker and you will get the input mixer. If you tap the Left Mains box, you will get some EQ bands and I think the oscillator. If you tap between the left and right mains boxes, you will get a different set of EQ bands, and if you tap farther out on the whole mains system box (which includes the subs), you get yet a different set of EQ bands. I get the idea - you would potentially want box tunings in one place then overall room EQ at a higher level, but this takes some getting used to.

I didn't have a chance to play with saving or loading setups, so I don't know if they're stored only on the IPad, if they get pushed to the boxes as a recallable preset, etc.

Audio Architect works as expected. You get a zillion EQ bands, the compression, delay, and preset management just like any other device managed by Audio Architect. You need AA 1.6 for SRX800 support, and AA 1.61 includes a firmware update for the SRX800 series. I'm glad for this, as perhaps they have addressed the limiter issues that Dan noticed on the SRX sub in the other thread.

Comparing the SRX series and the ETX series was interesting. There seems to be a philosophy difference between the boxes that was apparent in a few places. Both sounded good.

The SRX series seems to be more rugged, especially the paint. The SRX series has the same finish that Vertec uses and is pretty tough. The EV finish was spongier, and the demo boxes already had some wear on them. The SRX boxes have a third handle on top - the EV boxes don't. The ETX subwoofer socket is really robust - you drop the pole down 4" or so, and then it screws in, rather than only using the threads as the attachment point.

The ETX box has no networking features, so everything the box can do is accessible from the rear panel. For a quick show where you don't want to break out a computer, the ETX may have an advantage, as you can access the 3-band EQ right on the back of the box (1 band EQ on the sub). The downside is that you have to adjust this blind - you're behind the speakers while you're making the adjustments. The ETX series also has analog pots for the two inputs, which seems a bit incongruous - the rest of the system is DSP-driven, but they've broken out the initial gain stage in the analog domain. Contrasting that, the SRX box has no on-box adjustments other than level and preset recall, however the networking gives you a lot more control if you bother to get it out. As the input mixing is digital, you could potentially mix a simple event - one mic and a music source, via the IPad app and not need to bring a mixer.

Both boxes sounded good. The EV sounds more scooped - less mids and more HF sparkle. The JBL has more upper-midrange left in the default sound. My dealer called the ETX box a "safer" sound, while the JBL box left more of the mids there. I suspect that the ETX box would sound better for playback with its default tuning, but the JBL may have the edge for live work. Obviously both of these can be tuned to taste, and both boxes sound much better than the favorite boxes of a few years ago.

The ETX series makes a big deal of their very large horn. The SRX horn is much smaller. We were unable to really tell any advantage of the ETX horn in our listening environment.

It was clear that both boxes are good, and different folks will be attracted to the boxes for different reasons. My choice is the SRX series, largely because I'm already a JBL house, and because I liked the SRX form factor and construction slightly better.

I had my listening time on Friday, this time comparing the SRX815P to the EV ETX series. I brought a wireless router along and played with both the SRX Connect app as well as Audio Architect.

SRX Connect is an interesting app. The intent is to present a simplified setup for an all SRX800 series system, so some things are left out. The setup screen has a number of boxes that indicate speaker function - L&R mains, subs, L&R fills, rear fills, and monitors. Dragging the discovered speakers in one of these boxes affects the options you get. For example, putting a speaker in the L&R main box sets the box preset to "Main", and your only other choice is the "Speech" preset. Putting the box into the monitor section automatically recalls the "Monitor" preset. All locations have lots of EQ bands available, only some have delay and compression.

If you do have an all-SRX system, this app will help you get started faster, as the crossover settings are automatically set depending on which mains and subs you choose and because of the preset selection I mentioned earlier. There are a couple oddities, though. I was not able to discover the speaker until I turned cellular data off on my IPad. The other confusing thing is that where you tap affects what options you get, and it's not always intuitive how that works. You can tap a single speaker and you will get the input mixer. If you tap the Left Mains box, you will get some EQ bands and I think the oscillator. If you tap between the left and right mains boxes, you will get a different set of EQ bands, and if you tap farther out on the whole mains system box (which includes the subs), you get yet a different set of EQ bands. I get the idea - you would potentially want box tunings in one place then overall room EQ at a higher level, but this takes some getting used to.

I didn't have a chance to play with saving or loading setups, so I don't know if they're stored only on the IPad, if they get pushed to the boxes as a recallable preset, etc.

Audio Architect works as expected. You get a zillion EQ bands, the compression, delay, and preset management just like any other device managed by Audio Architect. You need AA 1.6 for SRX800 support, and AA 1.61 includes a firmware update for the SRX800 series. I'm glad for this, as perhaps they have addressed the limiter issues that Dan noticed on the SRX sub in the other thread.

Comparing the SRX series and the ETX series was interesting. There seems to be a philosophy difference between the boxes that was apparent in a few places. Both sounded good.

The SRX series seems to be more rugged, especially the paint. The SRX series has the same finish that Vertec uses and is pretty tough. The EV finish was spongier, and the demo boxes already had some wear on them. The SRX boxes have a third handle on top - the EV boxes don't. The ETX subwoofer socket is really robust - you drop the pole down 4" or so, and then it screws in, rather than only using the threads as the attachment point.

The ETX box has no networking features, so everything the box can do is accessible from the rear panel. For a quick show where you don't want to break out a computer, the ETX may have an advantage, as you can access the 3-band EQ right on the back of the box (1 band EQ on the sub). The downside is that you have to adjust this blind - you're behind the speakers while you're making the adjustments. The ETX series also has analog pots for the two inputs, which seems a bit incongruous - the rest of the system is DSP-driven, but they've broken out the initial gain stage in the analog domain. Contrasting that, the SRX box has no on-box adjustments other than level and preset recall, however the networking gives you a lot more control if you bother to get it out. As the input mixing is digital, you could potentially mix a simple event - one mic and a music source, via the IPad app and not need to bring a mixer.

Both boxes sounded good. The EV sounds more scooped - less mids and more HF sparkle. The JBL has more upper-midrange left in the default sound. My dealer called the ETX box a "safer" sound, while the JBL box left more of the mids there. I suspect that the ETX box would sound better for playback with its default tuning, but the JBL may have the edge for live work. Obviously both of these can be tuned to taste, and both boxes sound much better than the favorite boxes of a few years ago.

The ETX series makes a big deal of their very large horn. The SRX horn is much smaller. We were unable to really tell any advantage of the ETX horn in our listening environment.

It was clear that both boxes are good, and different folks will be attracted to the boxes for different reasons. My choice is the SRX series, largely because I'm already a JBL house, and because I liked the SRX form factor and construction slightly better.

SRX Connect appears to be a subset of Audio Architect, much like Performance Manager is for Venue Precision and VerTec. The template-based design tool, automatic up-loading of EQ and delays, etc all mirror the capabilities of Performance Manager, only less of them.

If I were working on a team designing a new powered speaker I would think we'd get the recent competition in house for comparison. So I'd assume the SRX800 people had recent FIR-based boxes at similar price points for comparison and wouldn't release something until they liked what they heard. Hopefully a rising tide lifts all ships.

a few things I would have designed into the speakers...
1) Power Linking (What's different between this and Quad behind speaker plugging in multiple speakers?)
2) PowerCons (my personal preference)

a few things I would have designed into the speakers...
1) Power Linking (What's different between this and Quad behind speaker plugging in multiple speakers?)
2) PowerCons (my personal preference)
I'm indifferent on the Powercon vs. IEC issue. Chaining would be nice when used as wedges.

I'm bummed that the 12" is out of stock - I have a show coming up that they would be really handy for.

Please explain a little more? The HF driver on the ETX is 1.25" and on the SRX 3"?

Edit- adding more info it seems the SRX HF transducer has a 3" voice coil and 1.5" exit. The ETX has a 1.25" voice coil and 1" exit. The SRX815p crosses over at 2k, the ETX-15p at 1.5k. The horn part is much larger on the ETX and is described as a 'Signal Synchronized Transducer Waveguide'. I would naively think if the HF transducer were larger the crossover would be lower, but that isn't the case.

Last edited:

Please explain a little more? The HF driver on the ETX is 1.25" and on the SRX 3"?

Edit- adding more info it seems the SRX HF transducer has a 3" voice coil and 1.5" exit. The ETX has a 1.25" voice coil and 1" exit. The SRX815p crosses over at 2k, the ETX-15p at 1.5k. The horn part is much larger on the ETX and is described as a 'Signal Synchronized Transducer Waveguide'. I would naively think if the HF transducer were larger the crossover would be lower, but that isn't the case.

To cross over lower, the HORN needs to have more cubic volume. Longer or bigger mouth area or some combination of both depending on desired pattern and the amount of acoustic loading the air in the horn needs to present to the HF diaphragm. It's about the balance of air pressure on each side of the diaphragm and that's about how the driver and horn match up. The larger diaphragm driver will typically have greater output due to its larger surface area but doesn't inherently allow a lower crossover point.

Hopefully Art Welter will see this and contribute. He's tested and listened to a lot of HF drivers.

I was referring to the size of the horn itself, not the compression driver. If you look at the pictures of the products with the grills removed, the ETX horn is about 35% of the size of the whole front of the box, where as the JBL horn is MUCH smaller - maybe only 10% of the size of the front of the box.

I haven't tried running the boxes into limiting to test capacity, but I suspect that the JBL has a little more gas than the ETX, though I would think that if you're in a situation where the extra 1-2dB mattered, you need more rig for the gig.