JBL SRX815P vs RCF NX 45-A?

Thomas B.

Nov 9, 2021
Nashville, TN
I'm having a difficult time making the decision between these two speakers. I will mainly use them for DJ gigs that caters to 300-600 guests events. I currently use QSC's and they been peaking too early and I'm just not getting a nice crisp push from them.

I'd throw in the Yamaha DZR into the mix. I compared the DZR12 against the SRX812P; I like the DZR a little better than the SRX... but I've not worked with the NX32/45 speakers, and my complaint on the RCF is there is no HPF selector.

I personally like the 12" over 15" main speakers; tends to have cleaner vocals.

I'd throw in the Yamaha DZR into the mix. I compared the DZR12 against the SRX812P; I like the DZR a little better than the SRX... but I've not worked with the NX32/45 speakers, and my complaint on the RCF is there is no HPF selector.

The new Art line looks very impressive. Sadly still no HPF for use with a sub.

The Art 945-A and 932-A look very nice. The 945-A has a 4 inch voice coil horn and the 932-A a 3 inch one.

The 932-A's price is not too bad. 132 db's. Shipping weight is 46.3 lbs so it would be around 40 lbs or so unpacked.

Douglas R. Allen

The DZR and the SRX aren't even in same ballpark as the nx32a and nx45a. The 4 inch compression driver loaded on the hf950 horn in the nx45a makes some serious output, while the low crossover point negates the usual drawbacks of a 15 inch two way. Oddly enough, I think the 4 inch driver in the nx45 is even prettier on the top end than the 3 inch driver of the nx32a. You'd be hard pressed at any dollar figure to find a powered two way that sounds better and has more output than the nx45a. I just wish they had feet.

The DZR and the SRX aren't even in same ballpark as the nx32a and nx45a. The 4 inch compression driver loaded on the hf950 horn in the nx45a makes some serious output, while the low crossover point negates the usual drawbacks of a 15 inch two way. Oddly enough, I think the 4 inch driver in the nx45 is even prettier on the top end than the 3 inch driver of the nx32a. You'd be hard pressed at any dollar figure to find a powered two way that sounds better and has more output than the nx45a. I just wish they had feet.
It looks like in this picture the new NX945a have feet. The Nx945a look to be a beast! I wish these were out a few years ago I may have headed in a different direction. 135 db output and under 50 lbs.

Feet.JPG

Douglas R. Allen

Last edited:
It looks like in this picture the new NX945a have feet. The Nx945a look to be a beast! I wish these were out a few years ago I may have headed in a different direction. 135 db output and under 50 lbs.

View attachment 209531

Douglas R. Allen
Those are the new art9 series, but yes they share a very similar compliment of drivers with the nx45 that I'm sure provide many of the same benefits. Although, one of key components of the nx45 is the hf950 horn flare. While I'm sure the new horns in the art 9 series are great, I don't know if I would like their asymmetrical coverage in a monitor application. The new nx9 series does not yet offer the big drivers, but am told the nx932 and nx945 will be coming in 2022. While I'm sure I will get my wish for feet, we'll see if they retain the hf950 horn.

Reactions: Douglas R. Allen
The new Art line looks very impressive. Sadly still no HPF for use with a sub.

The Art 945-A and 932-A look very nice. The 945-A has a 4 inch voice coil horn and the 932-A a 3 inch one.

The 932-A's price is not too bad. 132 db's. Shipping weight is 46.3 lbs so it would be around 40 lbs or so unpacked.

Douglas R. Allen
I've used the Art923 a couple time and wasn't thrilled with them. Yes they got loud and stay clean but they have still the traditional plastic box sound. I'd rather buy the NX line.

The NX line is a wooden box, the Art is a plastic and used to have an open horn, HD is a plastic box with full grill. The 1, 3 & 4 references the HF VC size.
NX91# = Art91# = HD1#
NX3# = Art93# = HD3#
NX4# = Art94# = HDM4# (different Amp plate)

Those are the new art9 series, but yes they share a very similar compliment of drivers with the nx45 that I'm sure provide many of the same benefits. Although, one of key components of the nx45 is the hf950 horn flare. While I'm sure the new horns in the art 9 series are great, I don't know if I would like their asymmetrical coverage in a monitor application. The new nx9 series does not yet offer the big drivers, but am told the nx932 and nx945 will be coming in 2022. While I'm sure I will get my wish for feet, we'll see if they retain the hf950 horn.
Hopefully they update the amp plate to the one they use on the HDM45 speakers.

While I haven't managed to test the nx-45a or the new RCF art 9 series, I have tested the older Art 7, specifically the art 745 mk 2s and hd 45s as well as the srx815p's. I ended up buying pair of the srx815p that I've had for about 2 years now. From my experience when I demo'd the art 7 and the hd45s, they both got really loud. They produced clean, clear sound, better than the JBLs. However, the srx815ps I demo'd got a bit louder and had a more pronounced mid-range and more thump in the low-end. The art boxes are known for clear highs which is true, but they were lacking in the mids. The lows were there, but just not as thumpy as the JBL. I went with the SRX for this reason. The hd 45s sounded almost the same as the 745s, but when pushed, they were starting to produce a little bit of a rattling noise and starting to distort a little bit. I mainly DJ for wedding receptions, birthday parties and once in a while I do baby showers. Most of the time I DJ indoor and the srx can handle 150-200 people without a sub. If I need the extra bass because of a larger venue, I bring out my prx618s which do the job. I rarely push them past +9db on the volume knob and you could set eq profiles via networking to the speaker. The srx are heavier than the rcf, but I have no problem getting them up on the stands by myself and I'm 42 about 5'9 and 155lbs. However, I strongly advise you to demo them yourself as these boxes are not cheap and you might have a different preference in what sounds good. Everyone will have their own opinion about the sound quality of each box. Overall, I would recommend the srxs if you want clear, loud sound with deep bass that you can run without subs.

Last edited:
Od tygodnia testuję Yamahę DZR 12 i RCF ART 932 A. Yamaha dzr 12 ma sporo mocy, a kompresja się nie kończy, jest potężna, RCF 932 brzmi znacznie ładniej niż DZR 12. RCF wciska ładny głos, DZR wycofuje i zamyka głos /wszystko na standardowych ustawieniach/. Yamaha DZR12 idealnie z subbasem.
Podsumowując, RCF 932a jest świetny, ale jest to cichy głośnik. Brak odcięcia pasma 80, 100, 120 Hz, w połączeniu z subbasem RCF932 nadal gra bas. Czy jest jakiś RCF z tej serii o tej jakości, ale mocniejszy?

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2