JoeCo players for live multitracks

Richard Mitton

Freshman
Jul 14, 2011
Birmingham, UK
Just interested in peoples experience of these. I'm looking to build a multitrack player for a band I work with and they seem to fit the bill. They'll be running two stereo and 4 mono tracks to FOH, plus three different click tracks to monitors.

I reckon a 4U rack, with two JoeCo's (main and backup) plus 2 radial 8 way rackmount DI's for the outputs would be a nice compact solution.

The reviews I've found online seem pretty positive, but I'd be interested to hear any "real world" stories of them people may have, good or bad :)

Re: JoeCo players for live multitracks

Make sure you have back up drives that are kept up to date with all the latest alterations to songs etc, if you don't want interuptions then use a switching box to automatically change over, though you need to make sure the second machine doesn't stop when it loses the sync signal from the other machine, I've used an external sync generator to do this with ADATs in the distant past and it was fine, don't know what the JoeCo units have as far as syncing them together or how they cope with loss of sync.

Here is a suitable switcher it is a DI box with16 ins and 8 outs G
Switching DI Box

Edit: I've just had a look on their website and it seems that the player version can do the relay switching internally plus one version comes with a loom that will connect it to a console directly, so all you need to check how it deals with loss of sync, probably will still need an external unit though the brochure mentions a chase mode which might be enough

Last edited:

That'd be a complete waste of money.
2 Mac minis (main and backup) and an x32 rack will cost you much less and give you a hell of a lot more. Use a keyed gate to auto-switch between main and backup and you're good to go. Plus you'd also have 2 computers for editing and anything else you could use a computer for, as well as a complete mixer for monitors, mains or whatever.
I can't believe companies are still making standalone recorders anymore.

I encounter a lot of the JoeCo players on the road, and they are good units.
A lot of the time, they are preferable to a computer for a few reasons:

1) They are more reliable. No question about it. Its not that computers aren't reliable necessarily, but its that there is a lot less to go wrong in a completely solid state single-function device like a JoeCo.
2) They are simple. Power on, select track, press play. Done.
3) Much smaller than a Mac Mini setup. main and backup players with auto-switching in 1u. Lovely.
4) Cheaper than an equivalent computer based setup. A pair of mac minis, rackmount, monitor, mouse & keyboard, KVM, 16-24ch worth of audio interface per machine, Radial SW8(s) or X32 Rack, etc... all adds up. I can buy a pair of BBR1B for ~£4000 and I'm done. I don't even need DIs since the outputs are balanced and I'm running everything from a common earth point.

So yes, I like the black box as players.

As recorders, sure, I'd rather buy a Mac Mini or something. But this application is different.

I've found them to be reliable, but you do want to make sure you use good quality drives. USB keys can work well too.

I encounter a lot of the JoeCo players on the road, and they are good units.
A lot of the time, they are preferable to a computer for a few reasons:

1) They are more reliable. No question about it. Its not that computers aren't reliable necessarily, but its that there is a lot less to go wrong in a completely solid state single-function device like a JoeCo.
While that sounds reasonable, do you have any evidence that the JoeCo's are more reliable than a purpose-configured Mac Mini that doesn't go on the internet? I'd hazard a guess to say that both are just as reliable as the other.
2) They are simple. Power on, select track, press play. Done.
Simple, but also limited. It's pretty simple to press play on DAW software, and most likely it would be run via MIDI or some external control anyway.
3) Much smaller than a Mac Mini setup. main and backup players with auto-switching in 1u. Lovely.
2 Mac minis fit in 1u.
4) Cheaper than an equivalent computer based setup. A pair of mac minis, rackmount, monitor, mouse & keyboard, KVM, 16-24ch worth of audio interface per machine, Radial SW8(s) or X32 Rack, etc... all adds up. I can buy a pair of BBR1B for ~£4000 and I'm done. I don't even need DIs since the outputs are balanced and I'm running everything from a common earth point.
Not at all.
2 JoeCos: $4,000.00
1 Radial SW8 $1,200.00
Cabling: $200 or more
Total = $5,400.00 and you still don't have a mixer to plug it into or a DAW to edit your tracks.

2 Mac Mini: $1,200.00
1 Mac Mini Mounting rack: $160.00
1 x32 Rack: $1,200.00
2 TB to FW adapters & FW cables: $100
Total = $2,660.00 and you now also have a mixer and 2 computers as well. You use the Firewire interface on the X32 to get 32 tracks (or 16x2) into the x32. Furthermore, you can upgrade the software, get repairs and replacements anywhere, change DAW software, tons of stuff you can't do with a fixed-function box like the JoeCo.
You can literally buy 2 of these setups for the price of 1 JoeCo redundant setup.

I see no purpose for the JoeCo product except maybe at an amusement park or somewhere that the system would be completely automated and unattended.

Last edited:

While that sounds reasonable, do you have any evidence that the JoeCo's are more reliable than a purpose-configured Mac Mini that doesn't go on the internet? I'd hazard a guess to say that both are just as reliable as the other.
Nobody has MTBF statistics for JoeCos or Mac Minis. So putting that aside for a second, there are just less devices to fail in a JoeCo, and thats the real issue. Once you factor in the software component of the Mac Mini scenario, I think its easy to suggest that the JoeCo might be more reliable
Simple, but also limited. It's pretty simple to press play on DAW software, and most likely it would be run via MIDI or some external control anyway.
Sure, but its limited to precisely the functions needed in this scenario, so not limited in a practical sense. Again, we're playing back, not recording.
2 Mac minis fit in 1u.
Sure, but the X32 makes it 4u. Plus you need to carry around mouse, monitor(s), keyboard, maybe a KVM, etc...
Not at all.
*snip*
Furthermore, you can upgrade the software, get repairs and replacements anywhere, change DAW software, tons of stuff you can't do with a fixed-function box like the JoeCo.
You can literally buy 2 of these setups for the price of 1 JoeCo redundant setup.
Nobody is suggesting that a computer is not more functional than a JoeCo. But the OP asked about tracks playback, so my views specifically relate to that.
Think of a JoeCo as a new-school HD24. There are still a hell of a lot of those on the road!

Your pricing is way off there.
First of all, you don't need the SW8 for the JoeCos. the BBR1-B model does the switchover internally. So that saves you a bunch of money.

In my money, the pair of JoeCos, with a panel for outputs is £4200. Throw in some USB keys for tracks playback and you're at £4220 :p

If you are going to compare like-for-like with the Mac Mini setup, then you need to consider Macs with SSDs. Other than whatever software you have going on, a mechanical HDD has by far the lowest MTBF of any hardware component here. In that case, the Mac Minis are £840 from apple. Even if you change to SSD yourself (which voids the warranty), it would still be ~£600 per machine.
Then you need the X32 rack, as you suggest. £1200 The manual suggests that the X-UF card won't let you connect 2 machines (unless this is a new feature not covered in the manual), so you'd need an X-Dante card which is another £400, and a little switch. An X32 rack only has 14 balanced outputs though.
Now you still need software (Ableton Live, a favorite among musicians for tracks playback, is £339 per license. Protools is ~£300, Qlab is £270) and that will be anywhere from £270-£680 depending on what you want.
You now need a mouse, monitor and keyboard. Maybe a KVM? Thats another £150-£500 depending on what you want (2 monitors, etc...).
If you wan't to trigger these 2 machines in sync, you need some way to sync them. Anything more sophisticated than a simple split MIDI go is going to be expensive, so lets say you do that. A couple of USB Midi interfaces and controller. Thats at least another £100.
So you're somewhere between £3500 - £4500. And now you still have more than twice as much equipment to case and carry...

Bottom line: You can get an PC alternative to the JoeCo for as much as a JoeCo, but if you wan't to mirror the JoeCo's functionality (channel count, control, sync, switchover, etc...) then it will be more. And larger.

I see no purpose for the JoeCo product except maybe at an amusement park or somewhere that the system would be completely automated and unattended.

Sure. I see your point of view. No worries.

Fact is, lots of bands use JoeCos for tracks playback and love them. More still use things like HD24s and 2424LVs which are essentially 1990s JoeCo equivalents. These artists all have money and means and a brain in there head and choose hardware solutions over a computer based alternative for several compelling reasons.

Its not the only way, but the JoeCo is certainly a good way.

2 Mac minis fit in 1u.
Not at all.
2 JoeCos: $4,000.00
1 Radial SW8 $1,200.00
Cabling: $200 or more
Total = $5,400.00 and you still don't have a mixer to plug it into or a DAW to edit your tracks.

2 Mac Mini: $1,200.00
1 Mac Mini Mounting rack: $160.00
1 x32 Rack: $1,200.00
2 TB to FW adapters & FW cables: $100
Total = $2,660.00 and you now also have a mixer and 2 computers as well. You use the Firewire interface on the X32 to get 32 tracks (or 16x2) into the x32. Furthermore, you can upgrade the software, get repairs and replacements anywhere, change DAW software, tons of stuff you can't do with a fixed-function box like the JoeCo.

I know Depeche mode's reason for switching to muse receptors was due to the unreliability of the mac mini's (and they are a high level act so should have the right people setting the systems up) they were using so the use of the black box over a mac mini based system is probably quite a reasonable idea. Although saying that kraftwerk used windows xp laptops for years without any problems. And they are a really high profile act.

I know Depeche mode's reason for switching to muse receptors was due to the unreliability of the mac mini's (and they are a high level act so should have the right people setting the systems up) they were using so the use of the black box over a mac mini based system is probably quite a reasonable idea. Although saying that kraftwerk used windows xp laptops for years without any problems. And they are a really high profile act.
We are switching away from Receptors to Mac Minis as the Receptor is too unreliable, unwieldy, limited and far too expensive for what you get.

Funny, I was just going to open a new topic about the JoeCo Player.

We started to use two of them running together for backup (you don't need a switcher for this) and on paper they looked as the perfect solution for us. We wanted a reliable, stable and tough machine that, in theory, would be more reliable than the mac we had running tracks on the last tour. I can only say that it's been a nightmare so far.
First, the file management is not very user friendly at all. Having to go outside the machine to change track numbers, set list, levels... is a setback. On a computer with a DAW you can edit as you go. It doesn't like bounces from logic, even if they are simple WAVs. And a major problem, it doesn't give the same output voltage as our other machine (protools with MOTU) with the outs set to the same voltage. It gives like 7db more.

Then, is hasn't been very stable so far. We had trouble with it recognizing hard disks, and when you don't have exactly the same info on the main and backup it acts funny.
Even if you have two machines hooked up (wich will use up the last track for sync, so no more 24 tracks anymore) you can't press play on the main one and have the two go at the same time. You have to have a PC keyboard splitted to both machines and control it with a shitty keyboard, or with a footswitch. Even with the Ipad app you can only control one machine at a time. Whats the point of having two, then?
With humidity they don't get along very well. They don't recognize the keyboard sometimes, in the middle of a show...

So, our opinion is that, on paper, is a very good solution for just "play and go" with backup, but in real life it's been nothing but a PITA. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the machine can tell us if we are doing something wrong...

Ah, the tech support is not super responsive either.

Great expensive invesment...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Carlos - that doesn't sound good. The reason I'm looking at the JoeCo is the same as you, the band don't want a PC/Mac on stage. In the drummers words "I want a box I don't have to look at, just press a footswitch to go"

Thanks for the replies guys.

Carlos - that doesn't sound good. The reason I'm looking at the JoeCo is the same as you, the band don't want a PC/Mac on stage. In the drummers words "I want a box I don't have to look at, just press a footswitch to go"

Well, in theory, you can do just that. Press play with a footswitch. But just that. No song select, no scroll... for that, you need to have a keyboard attached to both machines.

There's another thing, it makes a little "pop" in all outs when you press play. It's almost nothing, but in a 2000euro machine it really bothers me...

Well, in theory, you can do just that. Press play with a footswitch. But just that. No song select, no scroll... for that, you need to have a keyboard attached to both machines.
Will the footswitch trigger both machines though? I can live without the song select stuff as the setlist bit will take care of that. I'd run a keyboard over a long cable to the drum tech who could deal with any "emergency" song restarts/cues etc

It's a pitty that the recording card for the x32 doesn't exist yet.

If you need pre-built solutions there are only expensive deals out there. However, there are ways to do it yourself.

First, you don't need a daw for multitrack playback. The bwav and mp3 format can handle this together with e.g. the winamp player.

Second, thing is that you don't need firewire for playback. Usb is more than enough so this fits the x32-rack/core nicely.

Third, you don't need a fancy computer for this. You can use an embedded arm-based computer that you can buy for less than $100. It runs on linux and even have sata inteface for your disk. Some even have two sata interfaces so you can run the disks in a raid configuration.

Fourth, everything is scriptable and can even be controlled by a browser. Think iphone and android type of stuff.

Fifth, if you need faders there exist midi faders or you wait for the new behringer controller for the x32.

As i have previously suggested, cheaper option cymantic LP16. Small 16 channel playback device based on the archwave recording chip.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625