JTS UF-20 True Diversity UHF Wireless system

Jeffrey Knorr

Honorary PhD
Jan 11, 2011
Berwick, PA 18603
jrklabs.com
Hello SFN!

We have recently taken delivery of a new JTS UF-20 True Diversity UHF Wireless system. I've been able to play with it at the shop and use it out on a gig so I wanted to share my findings on it thus far. I will try to add to this post as we get more experience with it. For our events we don't need to worry about rider acceptability--I was looking for rock solid RF with the lowest per channel price and widest RF tuning range. The version under review here operates from 530-605 MHz providing a 75 MHz tuning range.

The base of the UF-20 is a dual channel rackmount receiver with all metal construction and INTERNAL AC power supply. It only needs two antennas to cover both UHF channels as it has built in antenna distribution. It also has antenna OUTPUTS to continue daisy chaining additional UF-20 receivers without more antennas or an external antenna distro. This is one of the main features that had enticed me into trying these units out. So far, this appears to work flawlessly! There's even a an AC IEC power outlet for daisy chaining.

The handheld mic transmitter also features all metal construction and is very similar to Sennheiser G3 units in terms of construction. By default there's a dynamic mic capsule that screws on--adapters are available for Sennheiser capsules (Shure capsules will screw right on) if you'd prefer to use them. To adjust settings on the transmitter, you slide open a small cover near the antenna area to reveal 3 tiny buttons. With these buttons you can navigate the menu on the LCD screen. Battery power is provided by two AA batteries. The handheld unscrews and pulls apart to reveal the battery tray.

The beltpack transmitters are also all metal construction. All buttons for controls are recessed on the front exterior of the pack and fairly easy to access. You can enable a soft lock feature to prevent accidentally changing the power state or pack settings. There is a flip down battery door (also metal!) which reveals the AA battery compartment. On top of the pack is an easily accessible slide to mute switch which also changes color based on its state (Green = Unmuted, Red = Muted). This is a very intuitive feature for end users. Mic connection is through a 4-pin male mini-XLR jack (similar to Shure wireless products).

Another feature of this system is called Remoset. After configuring the Device ID on each transmitter and receiver, you're able to coordinate RF frequencies and make other transmitter changes (Low cut, Mic attenuation, RF Transmit Power, etc.) all from the RECEIVER. As long as the transmitters are within range and powered on, you can REMOTELY update their settings. If you need to change frequencies or decrease the gain on a mic, you can now do it remotely with only a brief (~3 seconds) interruption in audio transmission.

The gig was a panel discussion that needed light sound reinforcement for a small audience and multi-track recorded for later podcast release. The speakers used at the event were FBT Verve 8MA--a self-powered bi-amplified 8" Co-axial cabinet. After performing my frequency scanning and coordination at the shop, everything checked out clean at the venue. I performed a quick audio test of each channel and we were off to the races with the panel. The mics sounded very good with just HPF and minor low-mid room EQ applied. I had the transmitters all set to low RF transmit power and didn't notice a single RF hiccup throughout the evening. Battery use also seems to be very low as all transmitters showed full battery strength after being on for at least 90 minutes. There's a 5 segment battery meter on both the transmitters and receivers. The recorded audio was also very good. Very little handling noise and again some minor low-mid EQ cleaned everything right up for the podcast.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this system so far. It should serve us and our clients very well.

List Prices:
UF-20R Dual Receivers $1339
UF-20S Single Receiver $679
JSS-20 Handheld Transmitter $399
UF-20TB Bodypack Transmitter $389

Pros:
-Very affordable for the capability (Ideal for Regional providers, Churches, and Educational facilities)
-75 MHz RF Tuning range with True Diversity receivers
-Durable construction--all metal everywhere.
-Built-in RF and AC Power distribution
-Frequency Scanning
-Remoset to remotely modify transmitter settings
-Distributed by ISI in NY State
-Swappable Mic capsules

Cons:
-Limited JTS brand recognition right now
-No Ethernet remote control/monitoring

Please let me know if you have any questions on the system. I'll upload pictures soon if they don't come through with this post.

Jeff

Attachments

• JTS_UF-20.jpg
    JTS_UF-20.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: Harold Johnson
Hi Jim, the prices quoted are list prices. I've found them to be more affordable than QLX-D. I also appreciate the built-in antenna distro and other features that the QLX-D doesn't offer. However, if you need to meet riders, the Shure might be the better choice.

Jeff