Kudos

Ryan Lantzy

Junior
Jan 10, 2011
Allegheny Mountains
Every now and then I like to give credit where credit is due.

About 7 years ago I bought a Chauvet 24 channel DMX light controller. It's silver, works with DMX512, weighs about 10 lbs, and has faders and buttons. That's about all I really know about the specs of it.

I don't like lights. Neither does anyone who works with me. I do them out of sheer necessity and try to avoid them whenever possible. That is not to say that I don't have some nice lighting equipment, but honestly I can not find anyone who is really motivated enough to deal with the wretched shit we call stage lighting.

Anyway, this Chauvet light controller has rarely been in a case and it just sort of floats around the back of the truck from bin-to-bin getting stored where ever I feel like storing it. It's missing about half of its fader cover pieces and has more scratches than a referee at a cat fight. But that said, the little bastard just keeps on chugging. Once I find out where the hell in the truck it went, I plug it in, and it always always always powers up. It has the same scenes stored in it from the day I got it.

I have had other much tougher looking and more expensive gear break if I looked at it wrong, but not this thing. I only pulled it out to work on it because the case screws started to get a little loose and the LCD cover fell inside and was rattling around.

Like I said I'm not a light guy, but I will give a shout out to Chauvet to designing such a tough little S.O.B. light board. Job well done.