kw153 next step to grow?

Brian Frost

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
www.narniaproductions.com
I own 20 or so k series boxes already. when I need more than a pair of k12 over kw subs and maybe some delay boxes then I rent a big srx rig. I dont see a need to own really big racks and stacks but Im looking for another pair of speakers so that I can cover gigs just a bit bigger than the k12 can handle such as smaller outdoor gigs and the bigger ballrooms that are still small enough that they dont need a big array system (Ill just rent that when needed).

Would the kw153 work for this or what other boxes should I consider?

Does the kw153 even make sense since I will be putting them over subs?

Is the kw or anything similar still not enough and its time to make a bigger step up and own the srx rig Ive been renting?

thanks

Re: kw153 next step to grow?

Without knowing what you would consider enough it hard to say, however I use a 15" 3 way active over subs for many shows indoor and out on a regular basis.

I've rented the 153's a couple of times and they will get "loud". But I thought a part of the "loudness" was an edgy quality (high mids) that the HPR series didn't have. I liked the HPR's better.....

The other thing is that they are 75 degree "conical" boxes and won't double up as well as the 60 degree JBL'S similar boxes.

But for a pair of them over subs one/side, they're pretty usable.

K12 specs say: 131 dB peak
KW153 specs say: 134 dB peak

For what that is worth...

I can tell you I preferred my KW152 over the K12's I had. I liked the wooden cab sound when pushed.

looking at the specs it almost appears I should look into a pair or two kw152 which at 60 degrees will array well as a pair per side and putting them over subs seems like I can get more out of 2 pair of those than 1 kw153 per side. Or do I just look to own a pair of rcf TT speakers which dont match my existing inventory, but the 2 times I used them, they sounded a step up from the qsc's.

Depends on what I was doing with them...

I have used the pole mount over the subs (both 1 and 2 per side)...

I have done pole mount over single sub and one 152 on stand...

And I have done 4 subs coupled in center, with 2 152 per side on 12' staging... The 152 were on a platform putting the horn about 10-11' or so, angled one down and in (with cribbing) and one just down... Though that is probably not the best alignment... worked pretty good.

Depends on what I was doing with them...
And I have done 4 subs coupled in center, with 2 152 per side on 12' staging... The 152 were on a platform putting the horn about 10-11' or so, angled one down and in (with cribbing) and one just down... Though that is probably not the best alignment... worked pretty good.

Chris, do you have pictures of any of these setups? Are you usually working in situations where the PA is placed on staging?

Did you mean a 12" platform or a 12'-high stage? That seems pretty high...

12 FT staging... this specific event was a 4' stage.

Was actually 11'6" scaffolding, the height was only 12' 1"... PM me your email and Ill get you some pics.