last weekends gig

Re: last weekends gig

Promotion probably wasn't your responsibility, but yeah, invite some friends or family next time?

Other than that, since there isn't much weight on the DS truss, I'd probably rig to the bottom chords with shorter spansets to get a few more inches of trim. Is the stage yours?

R~

@ Royce, the stage is not mine, and yeah I guess I had a few more pulls left on the chain blocks, I could have raised it up a bit more.... This was the first band starting at 4PM on friday afternoon, people were still at work for the most part, but as a whole, the festival does need to do a better job of advertisement. Here is someone's video of the event, it's that audio off their camera of the band pictured, the first song... I'm mixing, again - comments welcome....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBbmHlHUh9Y

Hello,

The video shows the Event Go-ers standing to the back....were you too loud? Or, was it too hot to be in the Sun?

Hammer

If that's the case (not too loud, but rather lack of shade), that's one of the challenges I occasionally run into.

Many times stages are placed such that the areas closest to the stage have no shade, causing punters to congregate under shaded areas which are sometimes considerable distances from the stage. It creates an uncomfortable situation for the performers who often perceive the distance as dis-interest, and also requires consideration of the additional output requirements to cover longer throw scenarios, which in turn affects other details, such as SPL limits, extra spillage into other zones where music is not desired, etc.

This is especially common at regional festivals where the bands are not necessarily "A list" talent. Some consideration by promoters and event organizers regarding natural ways of herding the punters toward the stage would make life a lot easier in these sorts of situations.

If that's the case (not too loud, but rather lack of shade), that's one of the challenges I occasionally run into.

Many times stages are placed such that the areas closest to the stage have no shade, causing punters to congregate under shaded areas which are sometimes considerable distances from the stage. It creates an uncomfortable situation for the performers who often perceive the distance as dis-interest, and also requires consideration of the additional output requirements to cover longer throw scenarios, which in turn affects other details, such as SPL limits, extra spillage into other zones where music is not desired, etc.

Ed Zachary!!!!! (quoted from "Big Trouble" by Dave Barry)

I must point this (seating in the sun) out every year at a church festival in my neighborhood. Committee members stop by my mix tent to point out that it "must be too loud" as the bulk of the audience is sitting far away (under the shade trees in comfortable patio furniture) rather than up close (in the direct sunlight on backless benches).

+1 to the shade etc... I was told by the orginizer that the local enforcement guy said I was sitting between 60-70 db (not sure which weight). It was very comfortable, and I always look around the audience for toe tapping, and to make sure there's not hear plugging or head twisting... As for taking the pa out further, I thought it best to keep it inside. I had this stage in years past, and I just don't like the aluminum outriggers, I would have preferred steel... I brought 6 per side, I only hung 4... @ Jeff, yeah I hope the sunday event is better attended for sure... (BTW Jeff those are your 650 at 19 seconds into the video ;) Believe me the organizers have taken a long look at attendence. They SAY they were just under 10K over the two days... it might be possible, but not by the pics... Again it was early , like 4pm, nobody off work, but as a whole I'd say the crowd was light...

+1 to the shade etc... I was told by the orginizer that the local enforcement guy said I was sitting between 60-70 db (not sure which weight). It was very comfortable, and I always look around the audience for toe tapping, and to make sure there's not hear plugging or head twisting... As for taking the pa out further, I thought it best to keep it inside. I had this stage in years past, and I just don't like the aluminum outriggers, I would have preferred steel... I brought 6 per side, I only hung 4... @ Jeff, yeah I hope the sunday event is better attended for sure... (BTW Jeff those are your 650 at 19 seconds into the video ;) Believe me the organizers have taken a long look at attendence. They SAY they were just under 10K over the two days... it might be possible, but not by the pics... Again it was early , like 4pm, nobody off work, but as a whole I'd say the crowd was light...

Hello,

I'm sure you were at "60-70 db" somewhere.... ;o) I suppose as long as no-one complains...you're golden...(as long as it's not the Head-Banger's Ball)

Anyway... why don't more Promoters schedule shows later?....say....starting at 7pm.... then, the Sun's Rays are not beating down on the audience.

Cheers,
Hammer

ps. You Canadians (and us Northern States) still have thick blood this time of the year....gotta wait until mid August for the thinning to complete.

ps. You Canadians (and us Northern States) still have thick blood this time of the year....gotta wait until mid August for the thinning to complete.

It's been 95 degrees here the last couple days in the recently thawed Northland. I drove home without the A/C on to make it feel like summer for at least one day.

@Ian - I use my 5 ton to keep FOH amps, MON amps, Dimmers, distro, microphones, and stands case all dry, and secure at night when I pull the door down, and lock it ... It also shaves alot of time off during set-up and tear down... Leave them stacked, lid racks and roll to front of truck.... an older pic, but your get the picture....

Attachments

• TRUCKPACK.jpg
    TRUCKPACK.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0