Late 60s backline excess

Lee Brenkman

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Oakland California USA
I've been telling people about this speaker cabinet for decades but have never had a picture to back up my "tall tale"…until NOW! This photo was just posted by the guitarist in the photo on Facebook.

This box was constructed as a promotional item by Don Wehr's Music City which was THE store to shop at if you were a rock band in San Francisco at that time.

Don made a brief stab at manufacturing including speaker cabinets and stomp boxes.

The group is "Womb" performing at the "San Francisco International Pop Festival" in 1968. This festival, despite the name, actually was at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton CA.

The cabinet contains two 15s, four 12s, four 10s and a couple of horns, brands unspecified and was powered by two Fender Dual Showman and one Twin Reverb with the speakers in the Twin disconnected.

The guitarist, Gregg Young reports that in pretty short order he replaced this with three separate cabinets from Wehr; a 4x12 a 4x10 and a 2x15 with the horns.

Remember kids, we didn't often mic the backline amps in those days so lots of guitar cabinets were the norm for coverage reasons, not just for "tone" or "the look".

This is NOT Photoshopped but the "head" on the top is just a prop. The real amps were behind the monster cab.

cheers,
Gramps

Attachments

• big wehr.jpg
    big wehr.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 0
Re: Late 60s backline excess

Take some flute out of my mix, please.

What mix? Do you see any monitors in that photograph? There MIGHT have been a couple of side fills, maybe not. "1968" remember.

And be careful about not respecting the flute player. This one, Boots Hughston, went on to be concert promoter, producing rock concerts at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco from October, 1995 through sometime in 2001.

Last edited: