LED lamps/PAR38

Re: LED lamps/PAR38

They will make light, but don't expect dimming to work. LED bulbs require either full sine wave dimming, or "reverse phase" dimming; neither of these are available on any portable dimmer pack that I know of, short of a full ETC sensor rack, which seems an unlikely match for your PAR38 fixtures. :)

The good news is that if you're used to PAR38 output levels, these are easily attainable from fairly low-cost LED fixtures. I'm not super up on the latest crop of low-cost LED fixtures, but I have been using a set of Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA fixtures for 4 years now, and they will EASILY exceed the output of a typical PAR38 bulb, especially if you use any gels in your conventional fixtures. Cost on these is ~$300ish, I believe. Warm white can be a challenge for LED fixtures, which is where conventional lighting still has the edge, but this is slowly changing as well; currently it just requires more $$$.

They will make light, but don't expect dimming to work. LED bulbs require either full sine wave dimming, or "reverse phase" dimming; neither of these are available on any portable dimmer pack that I know of, short of a full ETC sensor rack, which seems an unlikely match for your PAR38 fixtures. :)

This information is a few years out of date.

First off, the BakPak dimmers from Strand (originally made by Entertainment Technologies) support "reverse phase" dimming, and have for roughly 10 years. But they aren't priced as entry-level products, and probably don't make sense to purchase just to use LED lamps.

But that's irrelevant, as many (most?) of the current crop of LED PAR lamps support normal TRIAC-based dimmers just fine. In fact, some of the Lutron dimmers designed specifically to control LED loads are leading-edge dimmers, not "reverse-phase" dimmers.

To the OP, you are unlikely to damage anything by trying a modern dimmable LED PAR lamp on your current dimmers, although the dimming performance does vary depending on the lamp and dimmer combination. Most combinations won't dim below about 10% (~30% perceived), so that may be a concern for you.

The band I provide for used to use my PAR64's. But occassionally,there have been places with power issues so they bought some of the cheap LED's.Finally after 2 years they realize those things are pretty much useless since they play bigger rooms and outdoor shows.So they want the low power consumption of LED's,but want something better without paying $500 per fixture.So I suggested the PAR 38's with LED lamps. You can buy the cans new for under $30 and the LED 150watt equivalent lamps for about $30 each.If there is anything else that might fit the bill let me know.They don't use dimmers so dimming isn't an issue even though I do have the older type dimming board with the old style dimmer packs which if I understand you,they may work with the LED lamps.

The band I provide for used to use my PAR64's. But occassionally,there have been places with power issues so they bought some of the cheap LED's.Finally after 2 years they realize those things are pretty much useless since they play bigger rooms and outdoor shows.So they want the low power consumption of LED's,but want something better without paying $500 per fixture.So I suggested the PAR 38's with LED lamps. You can buy the cans new for under $30 and the LED 150watt equivalent lamps for about $30 each.If there is anything else that might fit the bill let me know.They don't use dimmers so dimming isn't an issue even though I do have the older type dimming board with the old style dimmer packs which if I understand you,they may work with the LED lamps.

You're asking for the near impossible. Their best bet in the less than 500 dollar range are used COLrado-1 Tri Tours. (usually between 300 and 350 USD). If I were the rental company in your shoes, I'd buy up used Tri Tours to fit their bill, and let them pay for the first 150 of the cost - foot the rest and you let them use them forever, and you can rent them out as part of your inventory when they're not using them.

OK,I bought 4 of the PAR 38's with the largest LED spot lamps I could find.I wasn't happy with their performance with the GELS in although they are a little better than an incadesent lamp and use far less power.However,where they do shine is without the GELS as white lights.The LED's give a much brighter,whiter light than incadescents.So the band still wants to purchase some better LEDS.I know Max has suggested the Colrado -1's which I will look at.Another sound lighting provider suggested Elation Six-par 100.Do you have any experience with them?

OK,I bought 4 of the PAR 38's with the largest LED spot lamps I could find.I wasn't happy with their performance with the GELS in although they are a little better than an incadesent lamp and use far less power.However,where they do shine is without the GELS as white lights.The LED's give a much brighter,whiter light than incadescents.So the band still wants to purchase some better LEDS.I know Max has suggested the Colrado -1's which I will look at.Another sound lighting provider suggested Elation Six-par 100.Do you have any experience with them?

I only suggested the COLORado's because I forgot about the Six-Pars. These things are kick ass lights. That said, they are new, so you're not likely to find them used, but otherwise they are definitely worth looking at. Great user interface, reliability, no-fans IIRC... to quote a friend who's primarily a lighting supplier, "We got them and they immediately became the most popular part of our rental stock.