Lexicon MX200 weird behaviour

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
I recently bought a Lexicon MX200 to use outboard, over S/PDIF, with my 01v96.

The unit worked fine at home but at its first gig, the main user program digital display kept flashing random numbers. I couldn't change the program nor set any other parameters. (Other LED's were flashing too.) I forced a reset a couple of times, but no luck. Ended up sticking with the effects in the 01v96.

Does anyone have one of these and has anyone seen anything like this?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Re: Lexicon MX200 weird behaviour

Have you tried updating the firmware over USB?
I have the same unit but I have not experienced the issues you describe, I use it on S/PDIF with an M-Audio Profire 2626.

Sounds like the main knob's rotary encoder is a little iffy, though. Possibly just falsely triggering a program change (The other LEDs change and the number display flashes as you change programs).
Unstable Power? (I've had an audio interface go completely mental on me once simply due to noisy power)

I am only taking a few guesses here.
Best of luck, this thing has some fantastic effects.

Terence, Jay, thanks very much.

Wouldn't you know it. I turned it on at home again and it started working, although it did misbehave as a picked it up and tilted it around... The symptoms seem to fit your suggestions of bad knobs or the rotary encoder. I jiggled the power plug/socket but that seemed fine.

Thanks again,
Michael

BTW... I will try the firmware update anyway. Right now the lexicopro site is down.

Greetings, Michael.

Yes, I've had this problem with the MX200. In fact, I've had it with two of these units. In my case it turned out that the pots needed a good squirt of tuner cleaner/lube.

When I would have certain of the pots above the 12 o'clock position the weirdness would happen. If I turned all knobs to the lower range everything would appear to be normal.

You don't need to disassemble the unit to treat this (as I did the first time), simply pull the knobs and direct a spray of tuner lube into each pot where the shaft passes into the bushing. Turn the knobs through their full cycle several times. Repeat.

I hope this helps! I know that I was ready to toss the things and buy something else.