Life on the Road with All Time Low

Hello Evan,

I'd like to know, how many In-ear mixes does your ME provide for the group? Does he have different mixes programmed for different pieces / types of music....such as ballads v/s upbeat, rock tunes?

How many channels in total for guitars, including DI and mic'd ?

How would you describe the Kick drum sound you're trying to achieve? Boomy, thuddy, musical, cracky, with a snap ? Does the kick drum sound change for different pieces of music?

What make and model of DIs do you use?

How is the design of your infra sub coming along? ;o)

Thanks,
Hammer

Hammer
I can chime in on the monitor questions you have seeing as I am the bands "ME". We currently have 9 stereo IEM mixes and 3 "fill" mixes which are subwoofer only mixes.
1. Jack - SR GT
2. Alex - Lead Vocal/ GT
3. Zack - Bass / Vocals
4. Rian - Drums (Drum Tech also shares this mix)
5. Matt C - Stage Musician
6. Matt F - TM / Backing Vox
7. Guitar Techs
8. Guest Mix
9. MY mix
10. Sidefill SR (Clair BT218)
11. Sidefill SL (Clair BT218)
12. Drum Fill (2 Clair I5b's)

I am using an Avid SC48 and have snapshots for the whole show. I have kept it pretty simple with 1 snapshot per song and a between song snapshot. I think my latest snapshot count was in the lower 40's.

The between song snapshots simple bring up the overall level of the Audience Mics in the first three mixes (the guys who do all the talking on stage). It also kills the verb on the the vocals and guitars.

The actually songs are setup to change overall track levels (7 tracks plus click) and also levels on inputs like Acoustic Guitar, Violin, and Spare vocal which are used by different people thru out the set.

We also have two songs at the end of the set that have a lot of crowd participation in them. Both of those are scoped to have more audience mics in the lead vocal mix.

Other than those few changes I do all the mixing on the fly. I do this because we are in such a wide variety of rooms. Weeknights are 1,200-2,500 cap rooms with small stages and weekends are 2,500-4,500 cap rooms with big stages. It is way easier for me to ride mixes with this ever changing factor.

Jay - I would have to say the bigger the room the better the mixes with this band. They all love to have a huge live sound in there mixes. So when I am in a larger room I have a let less work to do.

In the smaller rooms I am mixing NON stop. I use a hand full of verbs and lots of stereo panning to make the mixes sound bigger than they actually are. I also have to ride my vocal mic levels (via VCA) due to the cymbal bleed on small stages.

Thanks for your reply Dan.

Tell Evan I said Hello. I wish I were in Michigan so that I could come down and see the Show tonight. How many people on your crew currently...including Band Members?

Hammer

Hey evan, i'd love to see some pic's of Alex's pedal board, as well as what kind of cables are used on the pedal board, as well as what kind of settings are used on the amp, especially eq, thanks evan! :)