Light falls on HS wrestler

Re: Light falls on HS wrestler

That's winning the wrong lottery. Glad the guy will be OK.

How on earth was the light still on? How much cable did this thing have?

When I started watching the video I was wondering about the lousy-to-shoot-video lighting, and then read the article. The tournament has been held in that gym, under that light, for 27 years. It's some kind of tradition. Heck, they were going to move the light to the new gym...

While the parents seem pretty nonchalant right now, I think I'd file a lawsuit and offer the school district an option: pay for a failure analysis from a suitable engineering company, and have an appropriate refurbishing of the lighting fixture with redesigned suspension before it's put back up. Once that's done I'd consider having the suit dismissed.

Every year at this time I get set to begin work on a local private school "spring musical". The auditorium where it takes place is your typical gym-with-a-stage. Suspended over the playing/seating area is an old speaker cabinet of unknown make, never designed to be flown, but nevertheless it's up there hung from eye-bolts inserted into the sides of the box. Mounted on that are several old metal horns of dubious sound quality but substantial mass.

I've informed them time and again the danger inherent in such a situation and the likely un-insurability of the install, but they have done ZIP about it. Yet they require me to submit proof of my liability insurance when I go in the building to work.

The gap between their lack of responsibility (moral and fiduciary) and their requirement of responsibility on my part hurts my brain.

If they touch it, they own it even more. The contractor that installed it is probably long gone, but it's possible the school trustees think the installer is still liable for the work... and for sure if they go and really look at, they'll have to fix it when they find out there is nobody to call back.

Don't worry, Dick. Chances are you won't be under it when gravity wins that fight... and you report it every time, so you get the clear conscience award.

I wonder if parents have to sign a waiver of liability to enroll their kids?

Every year at this time I get set to begin work on a local private school "spring musical". The auditorium where it takes place is your typical gym-with-a-stage. Suspended over the playing/seating area is an old speaker cabinet of unknown make, never designed to be flown, but nevertheless it's up there hung from eye-bolts inserted into the sides of the box. Mounted on that are several old metal horns of dubious sound quality but substantial mass.

I've informed them time and again the danger inherent in such a situation and the likely un-insurability of the install, but they have done ZIP about it. Yet they require me to submit proof of my liability insurance when I go in the building to work.

The gap between their lack of responsibility (moral and fiduciary) and their requirement of responsibility on my part hurts my brain.

If they touch it, they own it even more. The contractor that installed it is probably long gone, but it's possible the school trustees think the installer is still liable for the work... and for sure if they go and really look at, they'll have to fix it when they find out there is nobody to call back.

Don't worry, Dick. Chances are you won't be under it when gravity wins that fight... and you report it every time, so you get the clear conscience award.

I wonder if parents have to sign a waiver of liability to enroll their kids?

They know who the contractor is/was and called them in to "fix" it even though I explained to them that the box itself should not be there under any circumstances. The contractor addressed their concerns by putting "safety chains" on the cabinet handles.......

I'll get some pictures this year.

They know who the contractor is/was and called them in to "fix" it even though I explained to them that the box itself should not be there under any circumstances. The contractor addressed their concerns by putting "safety chains" on the cabinet handles.......

I'll get some pictures this year.

Might be time to employ a visual aid and attach this video to your next correspondence with the brainless folk who continue to ignore your advise. The safety chains are a nice touch though... just enough of a fix to fit a CYA invoice into the file.

I thought the same thing..
My guess is that they plugged it in on the ground and then pulled the "light" up with a rope and pulley and said rope was probably cheap nylon. ticking time bomb.

Jason

R U sure it was done by a contractor and not high scholl maintenance? About 15 years ago,I was called to rehang a floresent fixture in a strip mall that fell down.It was held up by 4 plastic anchors like was once used to anchor something lite to a concrete wall.The fixture had so much wire on it that it hit the floor.Luckily,it happened after working hours.But a high school gym ceiling has to be what? 25/30ft?