Lighting for video.

Charles Harrigan

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Upstate SC
This is a bit of a rant, but also a question. I had a show last night where the company paying for the show hired a low bid group of video guys to do a web broadcast live. I'm running lighting for this show.
We have everything set up by 11, which is when the video crew shows up. At this point I'm setting up some looks and some effects for the rear LEDs and movers. We go and get lunch, come back ans finish the looks I thought I was going to use to busk the show. At 2 we send the video guys a 1k signal at 0dB at the console. We tell them that this will be our average signal and to be prepared for peaks of up to 15dB over that.

This is when they start demanding things. That was unaccaptable and they needed the average to be -12 for broadcast. I ask weather they mean is full scale digital or in analog dbu. Deer in the headlights look. At 3 they want to check the spots for white balance. Vinnie (facility manager, great guy) tells them we have spot ops coming at 4 could you do it then. Vinnie is told no we must do this NOW. Vinnie climbs the stairs and turns the spots on for them. Video gut then goes up and puts the spots "where they need to be".

At 4 he walks up to me and asks if ive ever lit for video before. Yes i have, we broadcast the step show all over campus. He tells me that I obveously haven't as what I have won't work. I HAVE to pull all of the red, amber and magenta off the front. Also, I cant use purple, pink, red, magenta, mauve, orange, amber, or any warm colors b/c "they just don't translate well to video". (But green is no problem, b/c looking like they're a zombie or a cancer patient is no where near as bad as looking a little orange, whatever). Also beams from the movers cant go in front of the artist.

When the spot ops show up, union spot ops, great guys, always do an excellent job, they are told not to touch the spots as the video guy has them exactly where he wants them.

30 minutes after doors, he comes up to me and wants the front batten raised 8 feet, with people sitting within 8 feet of the plane the batten is on. I tell him flat out: NO, it is a saftey issue. He throws a tempur tantrum and starts bitching to the manager for the show who complains to the campus event coordinator who has to call Vinnie. We had to clear the front section to move it.

Am I off base or am I correct in thinking that warm colors look fine on video? Fun fact about the venue. There are over 800 lekos and fresnels in the grid all of which are 1k or 2k. We could have used some of those instead of hiring 4 spot ops to do nothing.

Re: Lighting for video.

This is why video guys get a reputation for not working and playing well with others.

I'll have to go back to the gig tonight (I'm a local crew spot op, union at that) and tell the LD that he can't use warm colors or it will make the video look bad. That will knock down 60% of his show. I'm sure he'll appreciate the repetition of his other looks.

/sarcasm

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

If I'm designing lighting for video (which over half the time is also mine) I avoid any saturated colors downstage. This is really a very common technique, even for the most widely-broadcast events. Spots are color temp matched if necessary. Cameras are much more sensitive to color saturation than the human eye is, so you are better off staying away from those downstage. Magenta is a particular problem, even for the best cameras. Color upstage is ok, but even there you might consider slighting paler color choices.

The other incidents are just stupid vidiot crap, but I've gotten accustomed to that and are prepared to hold their hands as necessary.

The thing that got me is the fact that we wern't told there was going to be video beforehand. There was nothing in the rider and nothing was mentioned in the 3 advance phone calls. He also said nothing while we were gelling the front, or while I was building the efx and looks. It would have been simpler had we known about this earlier.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Hello,

Poor planning on someone's part. Last minute video takes a back seat to the show when I've got a set-up already in the works. I tell them that I'll help them to the point it becomes an inconvenience to the other techs, then, they git what they git.

I would have asked the Video guy IC, when he'd learned of this video project..? Then, I would've told him that I had not known about this video "stuff" until he arrived, and that the NEXT time he's involved with any last minute project....he should be Professional and contact every department head/system contractor asap...or at least ARRIVED EARLY that day.

I would never allow any non cooperative enitity from keeping me, or any other tech from doing their job in a comfortable pace for which they'd been already been prepared.

Screw him and his camera.

Hammer

Tell them to take their cameras out of auto.

Good strong followshots on the band, irised tight. Truss spot backlight if you can get it, otherwise a backlight system above the upstage concert truss works pretty well.

It's a concert. It is supposed to have big bold colors. Video people who don't know how to translate that to the small screen deserve their nickname.