Line6 XD-V70

Lee Dickinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Richmond, VA
www.avp-ric.com
Our needs are for local concerts - everything from gospel to rock to whatever. We regularily do rider work, but not regularily enough to need to own a rack of top-shelf Sennheisers or Shures. But we weekly need to do between 6 and 10 channels of wireless - sometimes as much as 12 for christmas shows and what not. Doing the math and looking at feature sets, we were somewhere near the 100 series Sennheisers or the ULX from Shure. SLX probably would have done us well, too, and we still have 10 kits of PGX for single use or rentals.

We had a nice rack of Shure UC that we were very happy with for a long time. But the end of their life coincided with a slow few years, so we've had to truck along with the PGX and subrenting when needed.

With the reviews I have read, the Line6 seem to fit in to the market in a similar way to us: Quality-oriented, good features, but not doing national tours.

I had slated this order for a few months ago, but, as happens with small businesses, other expenses came up. We ultimately placed our order with Washington Music Center, where we got both the best pricing and good telephone and email service.

There was a little mixup with our order - it got shipped to WMC instead of drop shipped to us, so it came in about a week after I was expecting. WMC did turn it around overnight to us when they realised what happened, though.

Unpacking / First Impressions

The Line6 packing does not leave you wanting anything. These ship with rack ears, coupling kits, antennae, and even half-rack blanks with holes and screw-in BNC pass-throughs. We ended up not using the half-width blanks, and made our own full-width. Popped the BNC pass-throughs in, then wired up the rack.

Had the rack put together in just a few minutes - the coupling kits are a little hard to slide on to the right side of the receivers, and I had to tap them gently with a rubber mallet to get them to go all the way on. Interestingly, the left side of both sets slid right on.

Build quality on the receivers is excellent. The beltpacks are similarly stout, though the buttons feel a touch squishy. We will see how they hold up.

I wish the handheld transmitters were metal, but I'm not willing to pay an extra $400 to step up a level. Persuant to other reviews, the batteries went straight to the trash.

This weekend will see use in a wrestling event. I hope to have time to play with the different mic models and to get the beltpacks out and see what I think of the elements. I imagine the beltpacks will spend most of their time paired with our existing Microphone Madness earsets*.

Does anyone know if Line6 has a four-receiver power supply?

I'll be back with more info next week.

*Mini Review on the MM Headsets: Good build quality. Require more EQ to sound good than a Countryman. I think the ear hoop is too soft - we seem to have trouble with some people getting them to stay on. Not sure why - I can wear one snugly all day long. People with small ears, though, seem to have an especially hard time getting them to stay tight.

--------

After use this weekend, I am very pleased with these microphones. I neglected to take a manual with me and had a brief moment of panic when I couldn't immediately set the transmit and receive channels, but it only took me another 40 seconds to figure it out.

We had three handhelds in use for the opening business of the wrestling match, channels 1, 2, and 3. No problem whatsoever, and no feedback issues even though it was a less-than idea room set up. (Yorkville sound system pointing right at the ring from the corner of the room.)

The thing that impressed me most is the open sound of these mics. And I mean open in contrast to the PGX, which sound muffly and heavily compressed. Line6 calls their transmitter technology "wire replacement," and that's how it sounds to me.

We used the L6 default microphone model, and I sounded like myself coming through the PA. I have not yet played with the other models, but I do have some 58 heads and I am curous to screw them on and see what they sound like compared to the 58 model in the microphone.

Why I would want to make it sound like a 58, I am not yet sure. But it's nice to know I can.

We had absolutely no issues with RF or interference; we had two wireless access points running nearby, one for file transfers between production computers and one for remote control of the show control system. No evidence of problems on the mics, and no immediate evidence of problems with the WAPs. I will battle test these here at the shop to see what kind of effect the mics can have over, say, Stagemix or a big file transfer.

In the last minutes before the show, the promoter asked us to add a microphone for the ringside bell. This one did get the batteries supplied by Line6, and the battery indicator on the receiver was down to the last LED by the end of the two hour show. Yes, those batteries are garbage, and Line6 should immediately replace them with Procells. Everything else that comes in the package is top notch, why tarnish the first impression with crappy batteries?

So. Between good sound, good RF performance, great packaging, I am pleased with these microphones and will probably buy four more soon, heading towards a total of 12. My favorite feautre so far is the bult-in antenna distro which goes a surprisingly long way towards swinging the cost calculation in favor of the Line6.

They get my vote for best bang for the buck upper-middle range microphone system.

Re: Line6 XD-V70

Those stupid little couplers to attach them.....AARRGG. I was rack mounting a pair using the couplers and couldn't get the plastic bits in all the way, then couldn't get them unattached without marking up the receivers. Is there a trick to them?

The "dovetail key" is designed with zero-clearance so it requires a tap to seat it. That also sets the pair flush.

The goal here was to devise a mounting method that did not require small screws, which I always end up dropping and then digging up out of the carpet.:)~:)~:smile:

Don Boomer
Line6, Inc.

Thanks for the reply Don. The "idea" is great....but the implementation is shakey. Try this: Take 2 receivers, tap the couplers into the top 2 grooves of one of the receivers. Now attach the 2nd receiver. Were you able to slide it in all the way? If you were able to get it in even half way, I'd like you to tell me how you plan on getting the 2 units apart. Maybe I got some out of spec couplers but there is no way they were going in all the way and getting them apart resulted in marking the units up from the tapping and prying I had to do.

But don't get me wrong- I really like the system otherwise. I would just like to be able to put a rack of 4 together like Lee's but be able to sell them off individually some day.
Cheers,
BJ

I guess it's just one of those things you get a feel for. The last "brick" of 12 units that I put together took me 13 minutes from out of box to bolt into rack. As far as taking them apart, you have to push one unit forward. I will admit that I've used the edge of a bench to do it, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I've found using a little silicon grease helps as well.

A quick note:

This weekend, we had the rack of four set up side stage with our LS9. It was not a great location - racks and mixer and receivers all UNDER the biljax stage.

But I will say, with the mics and receivers powered up, my iPad could see our linksys WAP at full strength, could connect to the LS9, but would lose sync continuously.

I will experiment more with this - including remote mounting the antennae. But in the meantime, I urge caution in using the Line6 in proximity to any important WAP.

More to come! Still love the mics. Got a good solid 8 hours out of them with Energizer Coppertops, and we're expecting another few minutes on Procells with their extra few mAh of charge.

Unfortunately you can only get so many cars on the freeway at one time. It's rare that 2.4G Wi-Fi ever interferes with the performance of XD-V wireless but I can't say the same for wi-fi, as everything touches it (including other wi-fi) and slows it down. There are some channel combinations on our FAQ page that may help ... but the sure fix is to switch your Wi-Fi to 802.11N at 5Ghz (which will likely double your throughput at the same time)

+1 to this. Since switching to a 5g router I have had noticebly fewer wifi dropouts and disconnects with my LS9.

Another data point on these:

Did a corporate event this weekend, and the customer was not very happy that their Verizon Mifi went down the tubes whenever the microphones were in use. The room wifi also degraded significantly.

So a big caution to using these mics for corpy stuff where there might be a lot of other wifi in use.

Not a blip on the mics, though, which is a positive tick. I have not yet tried them in low power mode, to see how the interference may be mitigated.

Hey, Lee -

I've got 6 of these units (love 'em), and I strongly suggest you have a 5 gig router if you want to use any wireless around your mics... I use a d-link dir-815, works just fine for me. I anticipated the corpy issue, but I don't do enough to worry. You're the first actual confirmation of the danger of using the digital wireless mics in the situation you described.

-Tim Tyler