Live Simulcasting

Marc Hayes

Freshman
Jan 12, 2011
Quad Cities, IL/IA
www.tnprod.com
Hoping to draw on some experience here, as I have a church client that needs to live simulcast HD video and audio between two church campuses, both directions between campuses, at the same time. We already have a dedicated TLS fiber line between the two locations, but need something at either end to make it all happen.

Currently have a Kulabyte system in place, but the cost is getting prohibitive. And it requires a buffer, and they would like to not have a buffer so it can be almost instant.

The rest of the video system is already in place, and outputs a HD-SDI signal to be used for this simulcast purpose.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Marc

Re: Live Simulcasting

Although its a bit of a way outside my areas of expertise, using an internet encoder to try to do two way live telly is going to be frustrating, you need something with very low latency. perhaps something like this.

I should clarify...these campuses are about 15 miles apart. There is a dedicated TLS fiber connection between the two campuses provided by the local cable company. This has no other traffic on it and is dedicated to their streaming services.

I verified....yes it is 10/10Mb on their routed fiber connection between campuses.

If it is really 10Mb it is unlikely you can send real time audio or video over that link. That is an awfully low bandwidth for fiber. Dante is pretty low bandwidth, and it has a minimum of 100Mb for low channel counts, and 1Gb for 64ch. Video could be as high as 3Gb per HD-SDI channel. Are you sure it's not 10Gb fiber?

Mac

Yes, I had a suspicion, its a routed LAN extension, it may be over fiber, but for market segmentation reasons it has low bandwidth. Dante will not be a happy bunny on 10MBit/Sec, and the routed aspect complicates it further. The Dante clock protocol (PTP) can, in theory, run through PTP aware intermediary routing kit, but it requires specific setup the routers to do it, which a third party vendor are unlikely to supply. A Additionally, the latency will be relatively pants. And I've never actually heard of anyone doing it.

I don't suppose you can get up on the roof of each venue and see the other end? If so, then a Ubiquity airfibre link will deliver oodles of bandwidth, and you'll be able to run Dante audio and encoded video across that with no noticeable latency.

The link is for sure 10Mb Up and Down. The client currently uses this for their current set-up:

https://www.haivision.com/products/encoders-transcoders-internet-streaming/kulabyte

However, it requires a very expensive subscription every year and requires a buffer, ie. its delayed a good couple minutes. They'd like to get away from the expensive subscription atleast.

And no, we can't physically view the two campuses from one to the other. They are about 15 miles apart and we are along a river, to one is at a very different elevation than the other.