Live-streaming with an Insta360 and external line level

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Has anyone successfully done this?

I tried yesterday running the main outs backwards through a stereo DI that could give me RCA out (the Insta requires a tiny jack for its input).

It got signal but it was very distorted, I pulled the master down halfway, no change. I got flustered and discouraged and never tried with the master any lower which I regret but I was by now secretly believing this input is for mics not desk signal and it would never work.

Well, crushing defeat feels awful and now I have more than 10 minutes to tackle the problem I’d like to know how it’s done (or have it confirmed that it can’t be done).

Instant Replay 360 has stereo XLR line I/o so I have to ASSume you’re describing something else. In any case using a DI in the normal direction ( into the 1/4” jacks and out the XLRs) would give you mic level out. An RCA is rarely Used for mic level signal but rather -10 level. Going into the XLRs on a DI from a line level out is where your line to mic level mismatch comes in and you’d need a -40 level from the console to the DI to get the appropriate level And this only on a passive DI. An active would be very unhappy with that set up. Does any of that apply to your situation?

Instant Replay 360 has stereo XLR line I/o so I have to ASSume you’re describing something else. In any case using a DI in the normal direction ( into the 1/4” jacks and out the XLRs) would give you mic level out. An RCA is rarely Used for mic level signal but rather -10 level. Going into the XLRs on a DI from a line level out is where your line to mic level mismatch comes in and you’d need a -40 level from the console to the DI to get the appropriate level And this only on a passive DI. An active would be very unhappy with that set up. Does any of that apply to your situation?
Riley, it's a small 'action camera' like a GoPro.

Ahh, focused on the RCA plug and missed the tiny jack part, clearly Oz English for a mini jack so yes, DI in the normal direction plus an XLR to mini plug adapter cable is the path plus any torturous set of adaptors to emulate that and dial the console output down 10db to emulate instrument level and it will work.

Before I got frazzled and discouraged the volume from the desk was down halfway. Still crazy distorted. Although if back to front DI boosts volume then I really shot myself in the foot there.

The DI I was using was this (albeit back to front). https://djcity.com.au/product/palme...r4VptzfmyozorQsXKW-5d6LH_8hQVg1EaAqhoEALw_wcB

I think the camera might have been this (if not this one, another 360degree camera from this company)

Reactions: Riley Casey