Looking for a simple camera for gig photos

Stuart Høgg

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
One of my continual bugbears is how rotten all the photos we have of our gigs look. We're trying to redo publicity and website at the moment and really struggling to find shots that convey what we do. I try to take photos using my iPhone, some come out OK but lots don't, and in any case I'm often busy mixing or kicking bands on and off stage.

What we were thinking about is buying a decent quality, simple to work point and shoot style camera, so that it can go in the toolbox to gigs and be handed to any spare member of crew to go grab some stuff. I'm well aware that complete amateurs aren't going to get great shots first time, but I figure if the camera is able to handle most of the exposure etc. settings, I can give them a quick brief on the sort of composition we're looking for. (Plus they'd otherwise be standing around doing nothing so we're not losing anything)

I was wondering if anyone has had good experiences with relatively basic cameras? I don't need mondo-megapixels since we're doing mainly web rather than high quality print. It would be delightful if the camera ran on AA batteries, since it gives us something to do with all the part-used ones that we end up with at gigs. We'd need it to be reasonably robust, and relatively straightforward to operate. Good performance in low light is key, so a preset that works well for that would be essential. The HDR capability that the iPhone has seems useful, but I'm not sure if it's necessary with a better lens etc.

I know there's no substitute for a decent SLR, but we lack the expertise to use one properly, and I suspect we'd break it before we got our moneys-worth. Something small and compact and designed with idiots in mind is probably where it's at.

Re: Looking for a simple camera for gig photos

Gig shots are very difficult to do well due to the extreme contrasts present - bright subjects on dark backgrounds, saturated colors, haze, etc. I have not found a cheap, automated way to do this. At the very least, using manual exposure will be necessary, and the more dynamic range the better. If you want sharp pictures, good low-light sensitivity is required to enable the shutter speed to be fast enough to stop motion.

I currently have a Canon 5DII, and it takes much better gig pictures than my old 20D did - due to much better low-light sensitivity and brighter glass than I used to have.

Depending on the level of quality you are aiming for, you may get something sort of passable from a point and shoot with manual exposure capability. If that's not good enough, you may want to hire someone to take a few shots from gigs you are trying to represent. Consider it a small advertising expense.

Last edited:

I have to agree with TJ. I seriously doubt a P&S will do any better than your IPhone. As you yourself said, either mixing or kicking bands off the stage - good (or reasonable) photos take time. The IPhone can be put in manual mode (learning curve) and run without flash (flash ruins the look of the stage - gives the deer in the headlights look to the photo).

A good camera with good low-light sensitivity, and good, fast glass is what you'll need. Unfortunately, just getting a better camera does not mean better pictures. Like mixing, photography is a learned skill - we're no longer talking snapshots for FB. You want to advertise a professional product: You. Also consider this parallel - if you're now mixing on a MixWiz, and you're put in front of a GLD, would you be able to make as good a mix as on the MixWiz? The more functionality of a device, the more "suck knobs" the device contains. High performance cars are more difficult to drive than a saloon. An advanced camera has LOTS of "suck knobs" too.

Take TJs advice: One night (or two) in a decent venue with a pro (semi-pro, advanced amateur) is what you'll really need to get photos worth putting on the web. They'll have the TIME and the SKILL to capture who the band is.

frank

Thanks for the replies.

I'd love a Canon 5D, but if I could afford one I wouldn't be giving it out to random crew to play with. :razz:

I have a Sony Alpha A300 SLR, and whilst I can get reasonable results on that, it's only after a lot of playing with exposure and ISO. For a quick shot, where there's only one chance to get it, I'd manage something better on my iPhone than with the SLR almost every time. Auto mode on the Alpha seems to give dark very underexposed results and I'm hamfisted enough with the manual controls that it takes a great deal of trial and error to get anything worthwhile.

I'm not expecting miracles from a small relatively cheap camera but surely there must be improvements in image quality to be had from a lens and sensor which, although nowhere the size of an SLR, is many times bigger than an iPhones. (Plus an iPhone 5 over here is ~£600 depending on spec. The camera will be a small fraction of that price. Surely if I spent ~£200 on a point and shoot camera that would cover a better camera than is squeezed into the iPhone?)

It's not that everything we take is useless - I've had a number of great shots from the iPhone, but they've been flukes. I was figuring that with crew running around with a small camera, maybe 95% of what they take will be useless, but there will be some gems in amongst the dross. Or is that an unrealistic expectation?

I do have a couple of photographers I could call on. The problem with gigs (and outdoor gigs in particular) is that there's a lot of time and travel involved so the "cost per useful shot" is very high. Also we are weather dependent, there's no point in having a proper photographer come out if it is bucketing with rain and everything looks miserable.

The tripod is a good tip, a lot of the blurring we get (on faces, in particular) could probably be eliminated this way.

The cheapest DSLR offerings from Canon and Nikon are around £250 with image stabilizing optics (Canon 1100D 18-55IS)(Nikon 3100D 18-55VR) are fairly decent, and there are a few quite good sub £200 compacts like the Nikon Coolpix L820 that will do a good job. Add a £50 tripod and you are set.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd love a Canon 5D, but if I could afford one I wouldn't be giving it out to random crew to play with. :razz:

I have a Sony Alpha A300 SLR, and whilst I can get reasonable results on that, it's only after a lot of playing with exposure and ISO. For a quick shot, where there's only one chance to get it, I'd manage something better on my iPhone than with the SLR almost every time. Auto mode on the Alpha seems to give dark very underexposed results and I'm hamfisted enough with the manual controls that it takes a great deal of trial and error to get anything worthwhile.

I'm not expecting miracles from a small relatively cheap camera but surely there must be improvements in image quality to be had from a lens and sensor which, although nowhere the size of an SLR, is many times bigger than an iPhones. (Plus an iPhone 5 over here is ~£600 depending on spec. The camera will be a small fraction of that price. Surely if I spent ~£200 on a point and shoot camera that would cover a better camera than is squeezed into the iPhone?)

It's not that everything we take is useless - I've had a number of great shots from the iPhone, but they've been flukes. I was figuring that with crew running around with a small camera, maybe 95% of what they take will be useless, but there will be some gems in amongst the dross. Or is that an unrealistic expectation?

I do have a couple of photographers I could call on. The problem with gigs (and outdoor gigs in particular) is that there's a lot of time and travel involved so the "cost per useful shot" is very high. Also we are weather dependent, there's no point in having a proper photographer come out if it is bucketing with rain and everything looks miserable.

The tripod is a good tip, a lot of the blurring we get (on faces, in particular) could probably be eliminated this way.

Stuart,
You're singing my song! (see previous post)

Stage lighting is difficult, at best and it will indeed need "...playing a lot with exposure and ISO"

And I did say shooting with an advanced camera may not produce better results - more "suck" knobs. In many cases, the IPhone may produce better pics, and more consistently.
If the Alpha consistently underexposes in "auto" mode, the underexposure problem MAY be able to be fixed via the exposure compensation - if it is available in "auto" mode. With Canon, there is "auto" mode and "Program" mode - the latter has the option of applying exposure compensation. This is something you can read about in the manual and do RIGHT NOW.

Your quality problem is not sensor size - and nearly every P&S has a slow lens and a very small sensor anyway. See link for sensor size comparisons.
Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Your problem is light. Concerts do not have enough. Fixes are lens speed - which relates directly with shutter speed - and shutter speed is what you need to prevent blurring - or add a ton more lights. Higher ISO will also be a direct relation to shutter speed, but higher ISO means more "grain" - less good looking image.

You speak of getting great shots that are flukes - Unless you have the SKILL and the TIME to dedicate to the photo, all your shots, regardless of camera, will be flukes. Yes, as a distracted amateur, your expectations are VERY unrealistic. Consider a working photojournalist back in film days - in decent light, they were happy with one good one in 20 - call it two a roll. Now with 8fps, the number of keepers per hundred shots is MUCH lower than film. Memory is cheap. Deleted photos go in the bit bucket, and the bit bucket NEVER fills up.

There is a cost to quality. Sound, photo, everything.

I wrote something for a photo blog post a couple years ago concerning how to shoot concert pictures.

Quite long - but lots of truths and suggestions.
==============================================================
Determine your own tolerance for image noise - at which ISO does noise become unacceptable, or rather, what ISO can you stand. Of course, that is dependent on your personal taste, and your post-processing drill - whether you use something like Neat Image or Noise Ninja, for example.

Set your camera to the highest ISO you can stand. That will give you the most latitude in aperture and shutter speed.

Shoot RAW. That will allow you to make the most adjustments to color balance, and if need be, exposure after-the-fact. Stage lighting is neither "normal" nor consistent in color or intensity. Any type of white balance shooting, in my opinion, is fruitless. In post processing, set the scene to what you remember the best. If you attempt to neutralize skin tones, or to 18% grey, the scene will start looking very odd, indeed.

The dynamic range on stage is often higher than the camera can capture. RAW will also give you the best highlight and shadow recovery, if needed.

Most of the time, I find myself shooting wide open, or nearly so, just to keep the shutter speed up. If your lenses can stand it, shoot wide open - if not, find out where you find the lens to be acceptably sharp, combined with enough DOF for the shot you envision.

So that means, shooting in Aperture Priority mode - and let the shutter speed fall where it may. Watch it in the viewfinder -

Imagine your shot, and crop in-camera as close to that vision as you dare. Any after-the-fact cropping will just increase noise.

Know your composition. Anticipate. If your plan is to take a shot, and crop it later into something wonderful, it ain't going to happen. (none of us here on FM do that, do we? ) Plan your shot, and execute. Timing is critical.

Know what is important in the shot - and make sure that is exposed as well as you can. Blown-out details are a no-no. But don't be too conservative, either - lightening the photo in post - even RAW - will dramatically increase noise. Reading the histogram is tricky - lights and specular highlights will seem to indicate a lot of overexposure. Fakery, fakery, fakery! Same thing - there is so much black - non-detail black, the histogram will be climbing the left side. Don't worry too much. The histogram will look like a big smile with one tooth on the bottom - that "tooth" is probably your subject exposure - look at that. Expose for that and then...

Chimp early and often. That is, look at the LCD often to judge exposure of the picture. A learned skill, and tricky because of where the LCD brightness is set. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Again, crop in the viewfinder as close as you dare. The less black background, and the less bright light, the more reliable (or should I say readable) the histogram becomes.

If you choose to spot meter, know EXACTLY how that works, or you will be even farther off than if you use Evaluative and exposure compensation.

If you possibly can, use a tripod, or at least a monopod. Shutter speeds are usually quite borderline.

Expect a lot of throw-aways - shaking, subject moving, microphone in the face, shadows, bad expression, whatever. Experience is key - shoot as many gigs as you can - critically evaluate what went wrong, what was right - make a mental note of what to avoid, and what that you did right. Do more of the latter.

Now, if you can use flash, that is another thing all together. I'll let someone else handle that one...

Practice! Evaluate!

Let's first look at the "rule of thumb" for hand-holdability. That "rule" states that one can expect to handhold a shot at a given shutter speed that is related to the focal length of a lens. The recommended minimum shutter speed would be 1/focal length of the lens - so if you were shooting a 100 mm lens, the rule says one can hand hold at a shutter speed of 1/100 of a second, but not slower. If you were shooting a 28mm lens, the rule says you could use a shutter speed as slow as 1/30 of a second.

Most concerts are shot with some type of telephoto - somewhere between 85mm and 200mm. So according to the rule, you shouldn't be shooting any slower than 1/85 second for the one, and 1/200 second for the other. A long way from 1/8 second!

The rule of thumb is based on what we deem acceptable sharpness in a normal print - Take the print larger, and you will need a faster shutter speed. All is based on the "Circle of Confusion" (one of my favorite terms in photography!). Bob Askins has many articles on the subject of sharpness, and shutter speed - look up the terms on www.bobaskins.com - great stuff there.

Even if you were to use a tripod, you may still experience blur at 1/8 second - but that could easily be your subject moving! One can handhold at lower speeds than the rule of thumb - it takes a very good technique for holding and bracing. The DSLR adds another thing one must overcome - the mirror slapping up and down - the type of motion that it is seen in pictures taken between 1/30 of a second down to about 1/2 second - (a tidbit to remember for macro photography, too) So not only are you shaking, your subject moving, and the camera is giving you the blues too.

So the last thing I'll address here, is there blur even with 1/500 second - first, are any shots sharp? How about during the day? Normal light? A lens is generally at its worst when wide open - it will have more visible defects, a more shallow depth-of-field that will put the autofocus to the test. Most lenses will be sharper when stopped down a stop or two - but that means the shutter needs to be open even longer to make up for the light lost due to the lens being stopped down. As the lens is stopped down, every lens will have greater depth-of-field, thus tolerating a less-than-perfect autofocus hit.

The key here is there are compromises - and low light, and active performers on stage, combined with telephoto needs make for a tough set. Find someone to help you with holding your camera - how to lock it in place. Practice, practice, practice. For some, available light is very tough - others find other types of photography tougher - i.e., wildlife, or birds on flight.

Just remember, your camera takes neither good or bad photographs - you do. Equipment can help some, but it is technique and practice that will be the difference between good and bad shots. An instrument does not make the musician - any more than a camera makes a photographer.

Final note - shooting RAW is just like shooting JPEG - the difference is in post processing - you may wish to lurk about that forum for a while - read a lot of the old posts there - a lot of your questions can be answered there - there is also a lot of PP using Photoshop and/or Lightroom on the web - time to sit down and read there, too.

good luck,
frank

Last edited:

Good advice already in this thread, and in some other older threads on this topic. There are quite a few good options on the market today.

In general, for each step up you go in sensor size ("compact" -> 2/3 + 1" -> micro 4/3 -> APSC -> 35mm), you gain an extra stop of sensitivity for a given noise level and sensor generation. This can be used to counteract slower lenses, or simply get better image quality. Tripod won't help with the blur on anything that's moving (like faces)

Even though a low-end DSLR can be had for relatively short money, a reasonably fast lens that's wide enough for gig work get's expensive quickly and the kit zooms negate all the benefit of the larger sensor. Mirrorless cameras have most of the same issues.

As with any equipment, the most important factor is the operator. Manual modes will allow for the most control and best results, but auto modes can typically get at least passable results.

Assuming your budget is reasonable, I'd be looking at the following cameras:

Panasonic LX7 (this is a few years old, but is still a viable option)
Olympus XZ2
Sony RX100 (either version)
Ricoh GR (this is a completely different class of camera, but should give you the best results)

In general, for each step up you go in sensor size ("compact" -> 2/3 + 1" -> micro 4/3 -> APSC -> 35mm), you gain an extra stop of sensitivity for a given noise level and sensor generation. This can be used to counteract slower lenses, or simply get better image quality. Tripod won't help with the blur on anything that's moving (like faces)

Even though a low-end DSLR can be had for relatively short money, a reasonably fast lens that's wide enough for gig work get's expensive quickly and the kit zooms negate all the benefit of the larger sensor. Mirrorless cameras have most of the same issues.

I would just add that with every step down in sensor size, you gain depth of field. If you want everything in focus for quick snap shots a lot of times the smaller sensor can provide amazing results. Personally I use a Canon 50D with either the 70-200 f2.8L, 100mm f2.8L, or 17-40 f4L for shooting product photos. For demos where lighting is involved I've seen just as amazing photos from a point and shoot with a skilled operator as I can get manually on a tripod.

I would just add that with every step down in sensor size, you gain depth of field. If you want everything in focus for quick snap shots a lot of times the smaller sensor can provide amazing results.

Yep, although in practice this is much less of an issue, at least with the wider focal lengths I find useful for event photography. Compare the 3 attached images, one taken with a camera phone, one with a compact P+S camera, and one taken with an APS-C camera. Focal length on the 2 cameras where it is setable is 28mm, the cameraphone is what it is.

Oh, and for those shallow DoF junkies out there, there's this

Attachments

• _DSF9679_s.jpg
    _DSF9679_s.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000018_s.jpg
    IMG_00000018_s.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0711_s.jpg
    IMG_0711_s.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 0

Yep, although in practice this is much less of an issue, at least with the wider focal lengths I find useful for event photography.

Yeah, I got this set from a colleague using a T2i and the kit lens who had never shot a photo in his life. Who knows. Like Frank said, shoot enough photos and there are bound to be some gems ;-)

Attachments

• 243053_1910781922528_3502829_o.jpg
    243053_1910781922528_3502829_o.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 244111_1910782122533_4853310_o.jpg
    244111_1910782122533_4853310_o.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 259501_1910782282537_4114389_o.jpg
    259501_1910782282537_4114389_o.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 0

While camera tech has come leaps and bounds over what it was capable of even 5 years ago, there's still a lot to be said for the loose nut behind the lens.

I see it all the time at various events; people with several thousand dollar bodies and similar lenses and no clue how to use them. They use their gear more as a status symbol than a tool and it shows in the final product they poop out. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing, but investing in some classes for yourself or maybe even one of your crew might be beneficial. You may find that the gear you have is more capable than you think.

I recently ditched my DSLR (Nikon D90) and went with a newer mirrorless setup (Fuji XE-1) that has done nothing but impress me at every turn. Fantastic quality, excellent low-light performance (see attachment below) and superb lenses available from the factory. It's super compact and light and I can get several hundred pictures off a single charge of the battery. Great for taking candid shots and general photos. The only gripe I have with it is that focusing in some low-light scenarios takes a couple tries before it finally locks on, but it's only been an issue for me a couple times. The mirrorless segment has been picking up steam in a big way. Sony's RX1, Ricoh's GR, Fuji's X series, the list goes on. All sport APS-C sensors or larger (up to a full-frame 35mm sensor in what is essentially a P&S body!!!) and take outstanding photos. A friend of mine has used his RX-1 on several photoshoots for some high-profile projects (Tesla, Porsche America, HRE Wheels, etc) that went into print and you wouldn't know the difference.

It certainly sounds like you're on the right track, and asking for help is better than most others could manage. Lots of good advice and suggestions in the thread already, it's nice to have a diverse community to draw from.

823470_10100969894680313_466822035_o.jpg 559834_10100850280967153_159315971_n.jpg

Yeah, I got this set from a colleague using a T2i and the kit lens who had never shot a photo in his life. Who knows. Like Frank said, shoot enough photos and there are bound to be some gems ;-)

Dumb question, but what's with all the toilet paper rolls on the center subs in that last photo?
-Is that like putting streamers on air conditioners to make sure the air is moving :razz:

Sony's RX1, Ricoh's GR, Fuji's X series, the list goes on. All sport APS-C sensors or larger (up to a full-frame 35mm sensor in what is essentially a P&S body!!!) and take outstanding photos. A friend of mine has used his RX-1 on several photoshoots for some high-profile projects (Tesla, Porsche America, HRE Wheels, etc) that went into print and you wouldn't know the difference.

I've been curious about the RX-100 and QX-100 cameras from Sony for gig shots. The huge sensor seems like a good idea for the low light scenario. Obviously not in the category of the RX-1 but maybe they share some good dna?

Unfortunately not all of their cameras share features. The series you mentioned are true P&S style cameras and will not have the same filters and processing that the RX-1 and its DSLR brethren have. I've never fiddled with the QX series before, but I suspect their low-light capabilities would leave something to be desired, much like other P&S cameras.