Looking for an input template.

Re: Looking for an input template.

I like the look of Jordan's. All I might add is some mark to indicate specialty equipment that the band will provide (i.e. will you use a house DI or does the flugelhorn player have his own), and possibly a blank column for the house channel numbers to be filled in on site before patching the stage (this one is especially handy if you are an opening act and not starting at channel 1 on the snake).

Daniel, I am not sure what you are asking. I am trying to set up without having to share channels with another act.

It has been common for me to ask for 16 consecutive channels, so my channel 1 on the input list and my monitor rig may map onto the system channel 25 or something. For me it really doesn't matter what the channels are as long as they are in the same order with no gaps. I really dislike having things spread out and having gaps.

Since I usually have my own in ear rig with a split, patching into the house system is just a matter of getting my tails plugged in the right order. With a digital board at FOH those inputs can be patched to any channel on the board. With an analog board, if I am a headliner, I basically expect to be somewhere to the left of the master section, if I am an opener I expect to be somewhere over on the right.

Having a record of how we patched my system to the house system can be a great help tracing problems.

Here's a simple one I made up that's big enough to use a pen as well as edit for printing on a computer. I have a sub snake column and my sub snakes are labeled with a simple code. I have a couple of Whirlwind Mini 12 & Mini 6's I use plus a 12 channel snake with 4 returns I keep up the vocal position. The codes are M12A, M12B, M6A, M6B and VS. So in the map column, I just mark it like M12A-1, VS-1, M6B-3, etc...

Greg

Attachments

• Input List.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 66

I should note that I don't always use every column, but I leave it the same regardless.

Jordan, how does the subsnake column work?
When you are using multiple subsnakes, it's nice to see what's connected to each one. For example, there may be a subsnake for the drumkit and another snake for the backline. This works out great when in a festival or BOTB situation where you are constantly moving stuff around and repatching.

What exactly is being marked? What is a pocket #?
Umm...I don't know what you mean by "being marked", but "pocket" refers to a stage or floor pocket - it's more of a theater/install thing. Instead of (or, more commonly, in addition to) subsnakes, many permanent venues have stage floors with built-in pockets that contain various jacks and AC power. These usually go back to a patchbay of some sort (I prefer XLR) and can then be routed to whatever channel on the console FOH desires.

My input list allows me to ensure that festivals, variety shows, or BOTB situations to go more smoothly - combined with some know-how and organization. I split my stage in half, creating a SL section and a SR section (some people zone them out further, I choose not to unless I have experienced hands). Then, each half gets the same breakouts - subsnakes, DIs, mics, etc. - and each piece is labeled individually ("Mic 1 SL). Then, even if I just check the Input List, I can visualize where on deck a particular instrument should be. It should come as no surprise that a Stage Plot is also a good thing to have.

A lot of the time, stage plots are oriented for the band, but I find that unless they are used the thinking in stage orientation, they get confused and things end up backwards. I also didn't make the space any certain shape...I just let them draw their own layout and talk it over with them before the gig.