Looper

Kirby Yarbrough

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2011
Reston VA
www.kirbysound.com
I have a show coming up where one of the artists will be using a looper. Given the result is a combination of guitar, maybe some percussive slaps and thumps on the guitar body, and multiple vocal parts, what do you recommend to get a good sound with it all coming through a single channel?

Re: Looper

Pray that the user has it set up properly. Any feeds/mixes coming from stage are always the responsibility of the ''artist''. Otherwise.....it is what it is.

I had a corporate gig a few years ago where the employees of the organization participated in a talent contest to win a fairly substantial set of prizes. Three of the dozen or so performers had loopers. None of them could get them to work properly outside of their basement. The winner was the one who gave up on the looper after sound check and just played his guitar and sang. He was actually quite good.....once he dumped the gadgets.

Edit:

Get splits before the various inputs go into the looper. This will give you some backup in being able to adjust the relative levels of the parts that may or may not be balanced through the looper.

Kirby,

The only looper problems I've ever encountered were the user failing to turn it off and leaving an annoying repeat of some sustain running.

Since all the noises are made by the guitar, the EQ you use to make the guitar sound good should work. Don't lose sleep over it, it's their ''sound''.

Ask if he/she/it is going to finish their set leaving a loop running, if they are be prepared to turn down the monitor send as well as the FOH fader if yu're running monitors from FOH sounds better than just muting it. G