LS-9 Fader Replacement

Brian Bolly

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I'm aware of the instructions that Colin created and Andy posted here: http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/content.php?47-LS9-Fader-Replacement

But for those of you that have actually done this and replaced all 17 (or 33) faders, did you do them all individually, or is there a kit that encompasses the whole console?

The part number I got from Yamaha for a <u>single</u> fader is: V6226101, but the person I spoke with didn't seem terribly sure about what they were looking at. If there's a better p/n or one that is a full replacement kit, would you please share with the class?

Thanks.

Re: LS-9 Fader Replacement

I don't have the part #s handy, but you should be looking for the FD1 and FD2 cards.

I don't think you save any money with the complete fader cards, unless you're paying somebody a decent tech rate to do the repairs. At least that's the way it's added up when I've done it for customers - faster on the jobsite, but not a huge difference in total repair cost compared to individual faders.

On the other hand if you aren't decent at PCB soldering (especially removing old components cleanly) then the full cards might be worth it.

But for those of you that have actually done this and replaced all 17 (or 33) faders, did you do them all individually, or is there a kit that encompasses the whole console?

I don't know the cost of the complete boards, but I would certainly look into it. I removed and replaced each individual fader (33). It wasn't hard, but it was time consuming. The Boards that the faders are mounted on don't have much else on them, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the price is competitive. Having the two complete boards, with faders already installed would cut out 80% of the work. Also I had access to a vacuum powered desoldering gun. With a standard solder sucker it would have taken even longer.

FWIW The new (dust shielded) faders do seem to be holding up much better than the originals.

I've got (4) faders that are sticky on my LS9.

What does each fader cost?

Anyone in the Boston area comfortable enough to do this for hire for me?

Or anyone coming to the Expo?

I remember Ales being totally comfortable diving right into one of my 01v96 consoles last year. (like eating peanuts at the bar... ) Amazing how we all have different comfort zones. I'll run 25' waterfalls in a canoe, but am scared to take the side panels off my digital consoles

Thanks,

David

I've got (4) faders that are sticky on my LS9.

by the time I replaced my faders one was actually changing values when switching layers. I could have replaced that one by itself, but I had 22 other faders that were NG when I calibrated the board. I decided to replace all the faders at once, rather than one at a time.

YMMV

Quote: said:
What does each fader cost?

$20-$30 a piece IIRC

The new dust shield is just a thin film, but the new faders seem to be holding up better than the originals.