LS9-32 - HELP!

Chuck Simon

Junior
Jan 19, 2011
Sorry to make my first post here a desperate cry for help, but...

It looks like I will be mixing on a house system with an LS9-32 this weekend. This will be my first intoduction to a digital board. I have used many different analog boards, a GL2200 most often now. I plan on learning as much about the Yammmie as possible on the web, but any advice from you guys who have used it? Anything in particuliar I should watch out for or be aware of?

I knew this moment was coming, oh well, in this business you have to get used to being in over your head!

Re: LS9-32 - HELP!

Although I do not own one, I have mixed on one, and others who do will be of great help to you. It is actually pretty easy to operate.

Good luck with it!

Steve

Sorry to make my first post here a desperate cry for help, but...

It looks like I will be mixing on a house system with an LS9-32 this weekend. This will be my first intoduction to a digital board. I have used many different analog boards, a GL2200 most often now. I plan on learning as much about the Yammmie as possible on the web, but any advice from you guys who have used it? Anything in particuliar I should watch out for or be aware of?

I knew this moment was coming, oh well, in this business you have to get used to being in over your head!

Chuck, the Yamaha web page has a great tutorial to get you started. You'll have to be like the rest of us. Jump in the deep end and start paddling! Once you get on the unit you'll see it's pretty easy to navigate through. Welcome to the Dark Side, Chuck.

Pat

edit: added content

Since I BE, I move between a lot of different systems. It always seems that the amount of time since my last LS9 show is just enouigh to forget my workflow. Despite that, the biggest problem I seem to run into with the LS9 is that it has a bunch of different options for patching things (especially outputs). I always have to stop and figure how a provider has their system patched together.

The other thing is that I tend to make great use of the [HOME]key. When it has been a while since I have been on the board, I tend to go [HOME] after every major thing I do.

I would set-up the custom layer as best you can so you don't have to bother switching layers... Get all your channel count, and effects returns up on the custom user layer as best you can. Set the User defined keys to page bookmark, so when you are on a page, you wish to assign to a UDK, you just hold that UDK for a few seconds until it bookmarks that page. Other main UDK uses would be mute group 1 for all channels, mute group 2 for effects returns. I also put my main graph on a UDK, and effects main pages, along with the User layer metering page. That should get you started.

Chuck,

This is the page with the LS9 training that Pat mentioned: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/training/self_training/index.html

It's basic but will give you a good feel for what the console is like. I just moved from a A&H GL2400 and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the basics fall into place. As Jay said, input and output patching of the mixes is critical, so ask the owner to show you how (s)he has that set up. Check the racks to see what EQs are available and what mixes they're inserted on, and check to see what effects have been mounted are how they're routed (default is return to the stereo in 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the LS9-32), but some like to return them to faders instead). Check to see if the input ports are double patched to two layers (e.g., in 1 goes to channel 1 and channel 33, in 2 to channel 2 and 34, ...) so that channel EQ and dyanmics can be different for FOH vs. monitor mixes).

I think you'll be fine, it seems more complex at first than it really is. Good luck and have a great show.

I acutally say, don't make any setup changes unless you must. You want the house guy to be there to assist you, and if you reconfigure his board, he's (unfortunately) likely to get in a pissy mood - depending on the quality of the guy and the venue. Beyond that, if he knows how the board is setup, he will be more help to you.

Step One: Push the SEL button. Always make sure you're working with the channel you want to work with by pushing SEL first.

Step Two: Push the home button. When you're done with something, hit home. Always come back to home. Get used to leaving from home and coming back to home.

Step Two.5: Turn up the gain on your channels. Get it on up there, don't be shy. But we don't run digital desks at unity on the meters. This is clipping. -12db is a nice place to start. Push CUE and listen to the channel in your headphones.

Step Three: Push the ON buttons. Turn your channels on. And turn your masters on. And turn your aux masters on. There are lots of places your signal can get stopped. THEN bring your sliders up. We all know not to turn a channel ON while it's hot, but remind yourself. It gets confusing as you're bouncing around in menus.

Step Three: Double Click the Send Select buttons. This brings you in to sends-on-faders. It's like having your whole own mixer for each aux send. Use this for monitors and effects. Just ignore the ''selected send'' knob and use Sends On Faders until you get used to it. When you're done, push HOME! If you're feeling really clever, run your mixes from the second layer of channels so you have separate EQ and dynamics on your monitors and effects sends. If this doesn't immediately make sense to you, you probably should forget about it until the second gig.

Step Four: Where are your effects returns? They could be on Stereo knobs or they could be on channels or wherever. Remember, you have to turn them ON before they will pass audio. And you have to turn the SEND to them ON. And you have to turn each CHANNEL you want sent to it ON on the MAIN layer AND in the MIX you're sending it from. There are a lot of ON buttons to push to get an effect routed!

Treat your effects just like outboard effects on aux sends. You don't put reverb ON a channel, you put the channel IN to the reverb mix.

Step Five: Only use Matrices once you're badass on the board. Otherwise you will get lost.

Step Six: Use the dynamics and EQ on each channel. This is where Digitals are badass. You have full parametric EQ and dynamics control on each channel. Most people have it set up with a gate and a compressor on each channel, but you could change this if you want to. Use your gates. They work very well.

The ''safe buttons'' are ''home'' and ''layer 1-32'' if you are lost as to which layer you're on.

Looks like everybody else has covered the main points. Kick ass and have fun!

-B

At the left of the display are the ''knobs'' for the buses. Remember that the cursor box being around a knob is not an indication that said knob is the one that is selected - you must hit enter, otherwise the last knob selected still is.

Well I did the gig Sat with the LS9, the gig was great and all I can say is I WANT ONE!

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.

Well, Lee, the board was already set up and I did not change it, even though I would have done it differently if it were mine. If I was going to advise a new user, I would pass on the excellent advice that you(and others) supplied to me! The info about the ''home'' and ''select'' buttons was especially useful. The dynamics, EQ, and effects on each channel is a wonderful thing to have, but making changes is still not as fast or convienient as an analog board and I found myself making compromises. All and all, I had a great time on that board and can't wait to do it again!

Quote: said:
The dynamics, EQ, and effects on each channel is a wonderful thing to have, but making changes is still not as fast or convienient as an analog board and I found myself making compromises.

Wait till you've had one for a year and you will find it just as fast, and a lot more accurate! And for multi band shows you will not believe how easy and stress free it is to be able to recall a soundcheck exactly. Ah, the days of writing things down, I dont remember you fondly...

one little tip i use, set one of the user keys as a tap tempo for your delay. its so convenient!

My own recent experience is the learning curve is much shorter than I expected. I made up a checklist of things I need to do quickly then went through the list repeatedly to help cement where to go and what to do (e.g., change the level of an channel in a monitor mix, add a compressor or de-esser to a channel; send pink noise to monitor mix 1, 2, 3, 4, then house L and R; provide a stereo video feed; open talkback to house or to a specific monitor mix; change PEQ on an output mix; change delay time on an output mix; change the delay to slapback; cue a specific monitor mix in a listen wedge, and so on). Then there's all the fun with running SM and the editor wirelessly...

Not to mention my back and setup time are better for the changeover to the LS9.