Mac very simple Multi-track playback software

I'm not a Mac guy, so help a brotha out...

Looking for the simplest and reliable program that can play back multitrack audio, with a simple track name scroll list, space bar start/stop. Customer is using Mainstage, which works but is way overkill and not particularly easy. DAW programs are also way overkill.

Just a list of tracks, start/stop with multitrack output.
Simple simple for even a musician to use. ;-)

Re: Mac very simple Multi-track playback software

Thanks, Riley, but way way overkill. $29 Mainstage is overkill.

Again, multitrack playback only. list of tracks and start/stop.
Basically think of the simplest audio playback app that someone would use to play their favourite songs, but with the addition of multitrack playback instead of just stereo.

Maybe it doesn't exist?

Thanks, Richard.

Looks interesting, but not sure if it's possible to have separate songs (what I was confusingly referring to as "tracks" earlier) in a list that I can jump to. Maybe with regions, but the user manual doesn't go into much detail.
Since it's free I'll try downloading it and see if it can be made to work.

I would have thought that with all the bands out there playing with tracks (that the drummer inevitably seems to be in charge of) there'd be a simple piece of software just for that very purpose.

Thanks, Riley, but way way overkill. $29 Mainstage is overkill.

Again, multitrack playback only. list of tracks and start/stop.
Basically think of the simplest audio playback app that someone would use to play their favourite songs, but with the addition of multitrack playback instead of just stereo.

Maybe it doesn't exist?

Yeah, this one strikes me as a unusual set of needs. Generally, as soon as you get into multitrack, [and i presume you need these to come out separate outputs as well] you're usually into DAW territory and that gets pretty complex pretty quick.

The only dedicated Multi-track playback solution i know if is Qlab, and that's still killing a mosquito with a shotgun....

maybe if we knew more specifically what you'e accomplishing we could suggest alternative workarounds?

Andrew, my suggestion is to rent Qlab basic for the days that you need it. It's rock solid, flexible, but simple enough that you can simply have a "go" button only setup. I can't see it going wrong for you. I think you're asking for an app that's just a little too powerful for your level of simplicity, but that's only because I haven't found one like that yet. Maybe Ableton could work?

I know it's a little pricier than $29, bit have you considered Figure53'a GoButton app for iOS (iPad, iPod, iPhone)?

Once you build the list, you can just have them select the song an "GO".

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, this one strikes me as a unusual set of needs.
Really? That surprises me. I run into bands doing this all the time, and none of them seem to have a simple solution.
QLab is really overkill. I'll check out StageTracker some more, which looks to be designed for what I'm talking about. The UI isn't great (trying it in demo mode) but I'll spend some time learning it to give it a proper chance.

It's funny that there's dozens of hardware devices (multitrack recorder/players) that will do exactly what I'm talking about, but not a piece of software.

I would imagine its a question of return on investment. Why do all the work of building software for a low selling price when you can add features that make it attractive to a larger market and return a much higher unit price? The virtual sound check apps like Nuendo Live are dumbed down version of main stream DAWs where I assume it was fairly cheap to have a software engineer turn off a few hundred features. Compared to full function DAWs Qlab is simple and also comes with "standard of the industry" support.

Really? That surprises me. I run into bands doing this all the time, and none of them seem to have a simple solution.
QLab is really overkill. I'll check out StageTracker some more, which looks to be designed for what I'm talking about. The UI isn't great (trying it in demo mode) but I'll spend some time learning it to give it a proper chance.

It's funny that there's dozens of hardware devices (multitrack recorder/players) that will do exactly what I'm talking about, but not a piece of software.

I'm not sure how Qlab is overkill? Sure, it will do a lot more than you need it to - but from a UX perspective, its as simple as can be. Drag the files in, hit space to play. This is really really simple if your multitrack files are interleaved wav files.

Qlab is the standard for simple start/stop band backing tracks playback...

http://www.reaper.fm/

seems odd it has not made the list yet. overkill, yes. free trial never runs out though... It's what I track live shows with all the time, very solid and flexible.

Mac very simple Multi-track playback software

http://www.reaper.fm/

seems odd it has not made the list yet. overkill, yes. free trial never runs out though... It's what I track live shows with all the time, very solid and flexible.

I'm already very familiar with Reaper, and it's more than I'm looking for in terms of complexity, but it's true that it could be made to work.

Sent from my iPhone

Looking for the simplest and reliable program that can play back multitrack audio, with a simple track name scroll list, space bar start/stop.

Tracks Live will do this (and is free), but the interface may not quite be as simple as you seem to want.

http://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/tracks-live#presenting-tracks-live

+1 for Waves Tracks Live. It's incredibly stable, easy to use, and perfect for virtual sound check or multi-tracking.