Mackie Freeplay power supply?

Chris Helson

Freshman
Sep 11, 2015
I'm trying to find out what power supply the Mackie Freeplay needs. I just bought one online and the guy has lost the power supply (and didn't tell me!)

It's a 20v 3.25amp DC supply but I don't know if it's center positive or center negative. Mackie Tech support have not answered.

If anyone has one I would be very grateful if you could post the model number and any info about it's polarity.

Many thanks

Re: Mackie Freeplay power supply?

Hi Thanks
No they don't sell them, or at least never have any stock..
http://www.mackie.view-media.be/order/index.php?item=&action=page&group_id=20000236&lang=en

I did call them and was told the part code and the voltage but the guy on the support desk told me it was center negative and the online help sent me an out of focus photo of one and they told me it was center positive.

so 6 weeks later i'm no further on.

Re: Mackie Freeplay power supply?

All right, so according to the manual for the thing, it uses a 20VDC 3.25A power supply. This sounds an awful lot like a power supply used for a typical laptop computer. Though often laptops are often 19VDC instead of 20VDC, but given enough current capacity, I'll bet you even money that the 19VDC power supply will probably be good enough.

By the way, you can read the manual yourself here: Mackie FreePlay Manual A lot of the relevant information is on page 15.

So, the one thing that is missing here is what is the connector that connects the power brick to the FreePlay? You could take a good quality photo of the FreePlay you have and show us what it expects. If it is a standard barrel connector (which I'm guessing it is) then you could just get a universal laptop power supply that can provide enough current and voltage. These usually come with an assortment of tips, and one of them will likely fit your FreePlay.

At the very minimum the center positive/negative information should be listed on the bottom of the unit where it tells you that it is expecting 20VDC 3.25A. This information should also be in the manual, along with the specifications for the size of the connector. Bad on Mackie for not including that information and at least they should be able to tell you that, reliably, over the phone. I'd ping them back and try to get that information verified or at least look at your unit and see if you can figure it out from the placard on it.

Oh LOOK! Here is a replacement laptop power supply from our good friends at Parts Express! Parts Express - Replacement Laptop Power Supply This unit will output up to 20VDC at up to 4A and it comes with an assortment of tips, hopefully one will fit your FreePlay.

There you go, 5 minutes of problem solving plus 10 minutes of writing it all down in a post to document it for you. You can buy me a beer sometime.