Mackie Master Fader V3

Weogo Reed

Freshman
Jan 4, 2012
Western North Carolina
Hi Folks,

Mackie has updated their Master Fader software to V3.

They do not yet have the Iphone/Ipod V3 available yet, so for now you can only use V3 with the Ipad.
In other words, don't upgrade if Iphone/Ipod control is important.

For me, there are quite a few useful improvements.

Will be doing a couple small shows with it this weekend.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mackie-master-fader/id511500747

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Re: Mackie Master Fader V3

Hi Folks,

Mackie has updated their Master Fader software to V3.

They do not yet have the Iphone/Ipod V3 available yet, so for now you can only use V3 with the Ipad.
In other words, don't upgrade if Iphone/Ipod control is important.

For me, there are quite a few useful improvements.

Will be doing a couple small shows with it this weekend.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mackie-master-fader/id511500747

Has anyone tried the new software yet?

Hi Kevin,

I used it Thursday at a show with only eight inputs and it worked ok. It was a bit laggy on an Ipad-3, but good enough.
At a sixteen input show last night it was very slow, to the point that it affected my ability to work.
Maybe it was wireless issues, but I was fairly close to an Asus AC68 that has been working with with my Yamaha mixers and Mackie's Master Fader V2.

At this point I would downgrade back to V2, but it is no longer available on Itunes.
I suggest folks stick with V2 till Mackie gets this more functional.

Several reports on the Cacophany forum from other users with slow response on V3.

Hi Kevin,

I used it Thursday at a show with only eight inputs and it worked ok. It was a bit laggy on an Ipad-3, but good enough.
At a sixteen input show last night it was very slow, to the point that it affected my ability to work.
Maybe it was wireless issues, but I was fairly close to an Asus AC68 that has been working with with my Yamaha mixers and Mackie's Master Fader V2.

At this point I would downgrade back to V2, but it is no longer available on Itunes.

Several reports on the Cacophany forum from other users with slow response on V3.

Thank you very much for the report. I was really hoping this would work great because a really want the new features. I have been waiting for the subgroup capability because I always EQ the system for linearity and I EQ the vocal sub for gain before feedback.

Hi Tim,

I am running Ios 8.1.1 on both my Ipad 3s.

There have been some hints that folks still running Ios 7 are faring better.
Maybe something that will improve with Ios updates...

Hi Kevin,

If you have updated the iPad, but not synced to iTunes, you can delete the app from the iPad and then restore from iTunes. The mixer can be restored by doing a factory reset (but you'll lose all your saved shows)

I tried the software as a beta tester, but when I figured out that myFader 2 does not work with MasterFader 3, I held off from updating the mixer.

The iPad on 3.0 did seem slow and that was just poking at the iPad, not actually connected to the mixer. I'm curios to see if they come up with anything to make it work smoother/better

Hi Steve,

Great idea ~ restoring from Itunes.
But I had already synced to Itunes so I could load the V3 app on my second Ipad.

Used it again last night and for slower paced shows it is certainly usable.
Am really hoping this gets sorted out soon...

Hi Folks,

Called Mackie today and was told:
They are aware of the lagging issues.
The V3 firmware uses quite a bit more processing than V2.
The lag is noticeable on Ipad-2, and more so on the Ipad-3 because the Retina display takes so much horsepower.
Ipad-4 and Air don't have much lag.

Turning off all other apps may help a little bit.

A V3.1 firmware is in the works to address some of the lag. Don't know when it will be released.

I have two 64 gig Ipad-3s; will only use an Ipad-only mixer with a spare Ipad available.
Sure don't want to replace both of them with something more powerful, when the Ipad-3s work fine with Yamaha and Presonus mixers.

With Yamaha mixers I have always automatically installed firmware, Studio Manager and Editor upgrades and had no issues.
Foolish of me to think this would be true with Mackie...

I believe Mackie should have made users aware of issues BEFORE releasing this firmware that makes the mixer essentially un-usable for some shows.

Happy mixing to all!

Hi Folks,

Called Mackie today and was told:
They are aware of the lagging issues.
The V3 firmware uses quite a bit more processing than V2.
The lag is noticeable on Ipad-2, and more so on the Ipad-3 because the Retina display takes so much horsepower.
Ipad-4 and Air don't have much lag.

Turning off all other apps may help a little bit.

A V3.1 firmware is in the works to address some of the lag. Don't know when it will be released.

I have two 64 gig Ipad-3s; will only use an Ipad-only mixer with a spare Ipad available.
Sure don't want to replace both of them with something more powerful, when the Ipad-3s work fine with Yamaha and Presonus mixers.

With Yamaha mixers I have always automatically installed firmware, Studio Manager and Editor upgrades and had no issues.
Foolish of me to think this would be true with Mackie...

I believe Mackie should have made users aware of issues BEFORE releasing this firmware that makes the mixer essentially un-usable for some shows.

Happy mixing to all!

I got caught with the Presonus and IOS7 debacle so I sympathize. Hope it works even if slowly in the interim. Good luck.

..dave

Using an ipad 2 with ios8 the lag is there with 13-16 inputs! It seems to be intermittent for me! The new features are great and will be even better when this update "get's up to speed"!

I used the new firmware last weekend. I like the new features but it is a little bit slow to respond. On Friday night we did a tree lighting ceremony and I didn’t have an opportunity to get my hands on the mixer and iPad before the show. So I let the young fellow I was working with who had a little bit of time earlier in the week to play with it, do the honors. He was very frustrated with it. I had told the sound company I was working for that I really wanted some time on it before I had to use it so after Friday night I took it home and played with it a bit. I had a show Sunday afternoon that I was going to use it for. On Sunday I was a little bit frustrated even though I had set it up the way I wanted the night before. Some of that frustration is just getting used to where things are now. It has been a while since I last used the DL1608 at all so the changes didn’t help in my familiarity with it. I only had 4 mics and a keyboard and I set it up with a subgroup for the mics and a DCA controlling the aux one output for the monitor feed. Once I got it all set up and everything tuned it worked just fine. I really like being able to wander if the situation allows. The only thing is I find my left arm gets tired holding the iPad in position for an hour and a half.

I am going to be using it this Sunday afternoon for a show and I hope to just use the same settings I did last Sunday. The more I use it the faster I think I will be and will then probably notice the slow response even more.

Hi Folks,

An update - with the most current version of Master Fader they fixed the lag issues I was having on an Ipad-3.
Am guessing it will also work better on an Ipad-2.

Good health, Weogo

I would appreciate some help. I have recorded audio on to my iPad from my DL1608 and I cannot retrieve the saved files from my iPad. I have watched a video online but my Macbook does not display the same screens at all. Can anyone help or advise please?