Makes you wonder?

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
Got a call last week from a church who wanted to upgrade their sound system. Very small church.Sanctuary about 30 x 50 ft with another room in the back about 20x 20. The first thing I do is ask to see what they currently have and listen to it.The system consisted of 2 Shure gooseneck condensors,one center mounted 2 way speaker and 2 wall mounted speakers that were added after the original install.It had a one space,rack mount mixer and a 1 space Tascam CD player. I ask one of the members to talk into one of the 2 gooseneck condensors.As he began to talk the other member said hear that ring? I said yes, there was a ring around 800hz. They said that was one of the problems.I ask if there was an eq as none was visible.They had a box with a piece of 1/4 plywood screwed on the front.Behind that was an amp and a Sabine Graphi Q. I tired to pull out 800hz but nothing was working.Tried the reset button but nothing would work.They ask me for suggestions.I told them I would bring in another EQ and show them how I could improve their sound without spending alot.They also wanted to replace the 2 Shure condensors because they said if one of their speakers moved off axsis,they weren't comming through the PA. I suggested replacing them with Audix headset mics which I haved used with great success.They told me that they wouldn't work. They also told me some older members of the congregation were having trouble hearing so I suggested a hearing assist system. They said they have one but no one wants to use them.
I said ok,I would come back at no charge and I would let them demo some new mics and set up system with new eq. Got a call back and said they didn't want me to do that,they wanted to build a new system from the ground up and thanked me for my time. They didn't ask me to bid on the new system.In my experience,most churches I have worked with are glad for someone who was concerned with saving them money by getting their current system working correctly.

I called back and asked them if they wanted me to give them a price on a new system.They asked me what I had in mind. I told them I would install an Ashley DSP with 2 biamped wall mounted speakers and replace the mics with something that had a wider patern to pick up the speakers when they went off axsis.They said they would get back to me. While talking to them,the one member asked me what I thought of a line array. I told them line arrays were not the right fit for a church that size.

A few thoughts. First,it seemed they had some preconcieved notion about what they thought they should have perhaps from reading some church sound magazines or from another vendor trying to sell them something they don't need. Second,when you make recommendations and they are ignored,do you walk away or make the best of it? I find about half the installs I do, my recommendations are taken and the final results are usually " Wow!". But when my recommendations are ignored,then results are less than what I would like. Some of the reasons for not going along with recommendations are: we don't want the speakers locaated there. Our minister won't use a headset or as with this church,the old people with hearing problems won't use the hearing assist units.I also offered to give them a list of referals from other installs I have done but they declined the offer.Makes you wonder.

Re: Makes you wonder?

Don't you realize that lyin arrays fix EVERYTHING! They are the correct choice for EVERY sound job.

Or so it seems these days :(

I have run across some very interesting "thought processes" in churches over the years.

You were trying to help out a small church by fixing the problems they had. That was probably the correct approach.

HOWEVER-it is interesting that they did not ask you to bid on a new system. It could be that they were more "comfortable" with spending a lot more money on something "new".

Think of it ths way. You are a car mechanic and tell the customer you can fix up their old car and get it running good. But the customer decides tehy want a NEW car. So where would you buy a new car from? A dealership or the mechanic who fixes cars?

While I realize that is not exactly the same case heras installers both sell new systems and repair exisitng ones-the mentality on the customers part is often not that way.

When you offered to fix the old system-you were "lowered" to a "repairman" status. Not a shiny NEW CAR salesman.

I've seen it happen many times before.

We have had a number of churches who did not have much money-so we gave them a decent system for the money. Then did little upgrades and such over the years as they grew. Then all of a sudden they decide to build a REAL building. ANd they do not even call the company who they have relied on all the years.

WHY? Their thought is that they need a "bigger company" to deal with the "real" room. Not a company that works with smaller churches. EVEN THOUGH that same company does larger jobs well also-there is a "perceeived notion" that companies that only work in larger spaces are "better". And then when the finally get in the new space-they realize that the old system they had was actually better-even though the new system is "shiny and new with lots of flashing lights". Oh well------------------------------------------

Just like the church that will hire a company from out of town-because they feel that nobody who is local could be any good.

WHat is the definiton of an expert? Somebody who lives at least 100 miles away. And if you have to get ona plane to get to the job-you REALLY know what you are doing.

I know 2 consultants that live about 150 miles apart. Each one does a lot more work in the OTHERS area than they do their own. WHY? Because they are not "local" to the other area.

We have a local "arts" person who will pay more for stage hands that have to come up from (the big city) Atlanta. Somehow "thinking" that because they live in Atlanta-they are "better".

A strange business we are in.

Some years ago, within a short time period I encountered two projects where after looking at the existing systems we found that the problem was not so much the equipment itself as much as how it was applied and proposed to first optimize what they had. In one case my contact was the venue Manager and they were very happy to have someone provide a solution instead of just selling them more stuff. On the other project my contact was the venue head tech and they did not like being told they did not need the shiny new toys they wanted, much less that they weren't using what they had effectively, and not only did we never heard from them again but they made derogatory comments about us to their bosses so that they would not talk to us. The difference had a lot to do with who we were talking to and their motives and goals.

I also think that some people believe that getting a bunch of new hardware will be perceived as having gotten something for their money even if the value received is minimal. People also often hear with their eyes, that big honkin' line array must sound good while I had a church that was upset because while the members could hear everything just fine after a system upgrade where we went to great lengths to blend speakers into the architecture, the members apparently complained that they didn't hear or see where all the money had gone so we were asked to adjust the system so that they could "hear" the system and know where the money had gone rather than it sounding natural.

Finally, I have found that if I give away advice then some people assume it to have little or no value while if I charge a lot for it then some believe it must have great value. It's rather interesting how some churches can't afford any expensive solutions while other churches will discount anything that isn't expensive.

. The difference had a lot to do with who we were talking to and their motives and goals.

I also think that some people believe that getting a bunch of new hardware will be perceived as having gotten something for their money even if the value received is minimal. People also often hear with their eyes, that big honkin' line array must sound good while I had a church that was upset because while the members could hear everything just fine after a system upgrade where we went to great lengths to blend speakers into the architecture, the members apparently complained that they didn't hear or see where all the money had gone so we were asked to adjust the system so that they could "hear" the system and know where the money had gone rather than it sounding natural.

Finally, I have found that if I give away advice then some people assume it to have little or no value while if I charge a lot for it then some believe it must have great value. It's rather interesting how some churches can't afford any expensive solutions while other churches will discount anything that isn't expensive.
Exactly the same situations I have ran into.

It is really amazing to me the number of times (especially in churches) that one person will have a certain "agenda" that they FORCE upon others and end up not doing what is best for the Church. But it makes THEM happy. It is "not" supposed to be about YOU-but that doesn't stop them.

We have had customers who would directly blame us for some reason the system did not perform as desired. Yet the REAL answer (and they knew it) was something else that was not in our control-or our fault etc. But they twist it to their advantage for their desires.

Just like politics. It is oftern very hard to determine the real truth.

Some people just "feel better" if they spend more money. Just look at the HIFI market.