Mapping iTunes and QLab to Venue Profile via FWx

karel.will

Freshman
Jan 13, 2011
Bruges, Belgium
Hi Guys,

I can't seem to find any info on this on the Avid Forum (or anywhere else).
I'm using QLab to play 4 tracks (LR, Click and VOG) into the Profile I'm touring with at the moment via FWx. Works like a charm.
And I'm using my iTunes for preshow music, via FWx too. Works like a charm too.
But, QLab maps to Firewire channels 1-4, iTunes maps to channels 1-2. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my problem.
How can I change the channel iTunes maps to? Is there some Avid utility to do this?
I could change all my QLab cues to map to channels 3-6, but that probably would take half a day, and be very prone to errors.
On my macBook Pro, I can only select FWx, my motu, or internal line out, but I can't specify any channels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Good night, happy touring and thanks.

Charly

Re: Mapping iTunes and QLab to Venue Profile via FWx

Audio MIDI Setup.app (in the Utilities folder) maybe?

You can change iTunes output to any channel of any device connected to your Mac computer. I do this all of the time. It just takes a couple of steps. In Audio MIDI setup select your output device. To the right, click on the output button, then click on the bottom right, configure speakers. In the new window select your output channels from the 2 dropdown selections. Let me know if you need more help. Oh, remember to have iTunes closed or it will not pick up the changes; unless it is closed and opened again.

It worked perfectly. But then I restarted my laptop, and poof, my FWx was gone. So no tracks after the intermission. :-(
I tried restarting my laptop, I reconnected the firewire, I even reinstalled the FWx drivers, nothing worked. Only thing I haven't tried is restarting the desk.
I hope it will magically work again tomorrow. If not, we have a backup plan, so it's not that important. But it's frustrating, and a challenge.

Last edited:

So...
Turned out if I just turn off the Profile and start everything up again, it works...
But then QLab wouldn't start up. After some googling (spelling?) I found out some DigiMio... file shouldn't be in some map. So I deleted it, and everything worked just fine.
The wonders of computers and digital desks...
Keeps it interesting I guess...

Yeah, it's kinda cool. Today I added multitracking into and from logic. :)
So nowI have iTunes for preshow music, QLab for backing tracks, and I'm recording 26 channels into logic. All at the same time, through firewire, onto my MacBook Pro.
I love technology. :)

And the tracks are fired from the snapshot recall. And when 1 track flows over into the next one, it triggers the next snapshot.
Midi magic.