Meyer M Series array delays

Jason Raboin

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2011
Northampton, MA
Last night I did a show at the Munich Philharmonie. The venue has left and right arrays consisting of 4 Meyer M2D and 5 M1D per side and a center hang of 8 M1D. I was given Galileo control, and noticed that their delay times were quite odd.

Left / Right:
Top 2 M2D 3.58 ms
Bottom 2 M2D 3.08 ms
Top 2 M1D 3.58 ms
Bottom 3 M1D 3.08 ms

Center:
Top 4 M1D 4.58 ms
Bottom 4 M1D 4.08 ms

This may be slightly off, as I just jotted the times down in case I wanted to go back to them, but the point is that they had sections of the same hang delayed differently. I have seen Meyer arrays with different eq on sections, and this is sanctioned by Meyer, but I could not wrap my head around why you would want to delay different sections of the array differently. I set the l/r delay times to 0 and delayed everything else to that. It sounded better to my ears.

Can anyone explain why you would want to delay things as they have?

Re: Meyer M Series array delays

Were gains between the sections of the array different? The numbers you've posted seem backwards for the following; but I could see if someone was trying to time align such that equal level and equal time 'seams' were the same place between sections of the array with the bottom section gained down (or maybe the top section gained down to correct for a close balcony)? Complete, total WAG. I agree it seems odd.

Scratch the above, my brain just put it together that M1D/M2D were in the same line...definitely odd.

This was a strangely shaped asymmetrical hall, and I thought that if the overlap was at an aisle or wall that maybe there would be some use, but it wasn't, and I just couldn't get past how weird it sounded in certain sections. I did, as others have suggested, undo the delay differences and just use eq.

After a 4 day stop in Fez Morocco to play a festival, we are on to France, where I am using 6-8 L'acoustics K1 and 3 Kara per side. The updated software for the LA8's is great. I am restricting myself to the 4 parametric and 3 fixed filters for room tuning. So far so good. Actually that's an understatement. So far, the best pa I have ever used.