Meyer Sound Harsh?

Re: Meyer Sound Harsh?

Very interesting Curtis.

I actually measured the speakers at roughly 1 meter with an SPL meter to be consistent, but I was actually listening to them at varying distances between 10 and 20 feet. We listened to a number of sources on them and they sounded really good at lower levels, but it seemed that when the levels went up they started to sound bad. My thought was that they should be able to do 95dBA in free space without distorting (especially since the SPL spec is almost 30dB higher, more than enough to counter overly "enthusiastic" measurements). With a single stringed bass, they sounded phenomenal.

We were able to also demo QSC, EV, and JBL in venue. We also went to other venues with installed systems and were able to hear EAW, more QSC & Meyer, Mackie, and Nexo, D&B J (unfortunately, this was not that useful as the venue is not suited for a line array). Finally, we heard Behringer, Samson, Tapco, and Bag End in a local music store. The Meyer beat them in every way (and for the price, they should) except when we thought they sounded harsh. It occurs to me that the installed Meyer systems did not exhibit this, so I suspect that our lack of room eq colored the demo. I would have liked to hear ADR and more appropriate D&B speakers, but I could not find any around here that would let us listen for free.

~Jeff

Last edited:

Here is a picture showing what happens when you are too close.
On axis to the woofer at 1 meter and the same at 8 meters.
At 8 meters almost no difference.

So with a measurement mic on axis to the woofer and very close we only hear some of the horn and way off axis.
Beside looking at the drop in SPL from the horn look at the massive comb filtering going on! http://www.soundforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1526&d=1307899565

I think you got the color key backwards.

Very interesting Curtis.

I actually measured the speakers at roughly 1 meter with an SPL meter to be consistent, but I was actually listening to them at varying distances between 10 and 20 feet.

You measured them with an SPL meter?
So all you had was that the overall loudness was the same?

We listened to a number of sources on them and they sounded really good at lower levels, but it seemed that when the levels went up they started to sound bad. My thought was that they should be able to do 95dBA in free space without distorting (especially since the SPL spec is almost 30dB higher, more than enough to counter overly "enthusiastic" measurements). With a single stringed bass, they sounded phenomenal.

One thing to try is disconnect the woofer so you only hear the horn.
The sound will be very irritating, so do this as a comparison between different boxes. Listen for breakup.

We were able to also demo QSC, EV, and JBL in venue. We also went to other venues with installed systems and were able to hear EAW, more QSC & Meyer, Mackie, and Nexo, D&B J (unfortunately, this was not that useful as the venue is not suited for a line array). Finally, we heard Behringer, Samson, Tapco, and Bag End in a local music store. The Meyer beat them in every way (and for the price, they should) except when we thought they sounded harsh. It occurs to me that the installed Meyer systems did not exhibit this, so I suspect that our lack of room eq colored the demo. I would have liked to hear ADR and more appropriate D&B speakers, but I could not find any around here that would let us listen for free.

~Jeff