micing a Cajon?

Adam Whetham

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
OK, I'm not familiar with this instrument. Looking for some people with experience. Where is best to mic this from other users experience? I have one coming in Thursday and want to have a slight idea of placement.

Thanks!

Re: micing a Cajon?

OK, I'm not familiar with this instrument. Looking for some people with experience. Where is best to mic this from other users experience? I have one coming in Thursday and want to have a slight idea of placement.

Thanks!

Depends on the player, but one in (0r at) the hole for LF and one at the front surface for the clicks, slaps and brushing.

Think of it as a kick and snare in one box requiring both mics. I use a D6 in the hole and an i5 on the snare side.

Greg

Depending on the style of music. Useally take a bas mic. There is hole in a Cajon just like a kick drum. Make is so the diagram is just not in there. Note there are strings that rattle in there so be reluctant on using to much bass on eq and that you capture the sound of the strings.

I've had good luck with a Beta91 inside, however there's benefit to splitting that to two board channels to handle the thump vs. the snare differently.

Best results I've had is a c451 (any variant with a pad). I've used 91, 98, 52, d112, 57 ........

Just inside the hole, slightly pointed up at the snares about 1/3 of the way down the front.

Tones of boom, and lots of snap.

You can frequency split if you'd like. I generally don't.

The only time I add a second mic, is if the player has a bunch of toys to play with as well.

BRad

I find it interesting that I have never heard of this instrument before this week until last Thursday when our bass player brought one to rehearsal....and now a thread on mic'ing it. Looks like fun.

I use an Audix ADX-60, mounted on an LP bracket. LP Cajon Mic Mount for Audix ADX60 Mic After playing with bracket placement a little, this works well; giving a nice balanced sound, only uses 1 mic channel, & also allows me to move my cajon without repositioning a mic. Mind you this is on my personal drum so its probably not the best solution to the issue at hand as it can take a bit of time to find the sweet spot for the mic & bracket. Once its done, its a set & forget deal. Slap it on & done.

As a provider though, I'd just mic a cajon as a kick/snare with 2 mics.

To all hints I'd like to add:

Some players like to move back an forth with the cajon, that can be a drag when using a "kick" mic on a stand. A small PZM or clip mic do the trick in this case.

I've got a Crown PZM mic, one of the better ones, and I never had any luck getting gain out of it without feedack when I had it velcro's to the side, similar to those "Cajon systems" I've seen advertised. I might try setting it inside sometime to see if it works better.