Midas Pro 1 failure

Henning Fjeld

Freshman
Jul 30, 2012
Norway
Had a really unpleasant gig yesterday. A Midas pro 1 console went full tilt boogie noise championship on the master outputs mid show... Like suddenly: WWWAAAAA(/!#(/&!#/(&#¤RRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

In the heat of the moment i instantly grabbed my four input fader, pulled them down, no go, looked at the master meters, shit they are lighting up like a Christmas tree!! jumped to the master mute buttons, nothing(!), then pulled the master fader down... Thankfully that worked. I guess it took about four seconds, but it felt a lot longer. And I can tell you, the audience, about 300 of them jumped out of their seats...

Luckily the venue had a small backup mixer, so the show could go on after a ten minute break..1.jpg

Without any master out EQ and very limited features it sounded like someone put three layers of curtain in front of the speakers, but hey it works!

So, anyone else experienced this with a pro 1?

Had a really unpleasant gig yesterday. A Midas pro 1 console went full tilt boogie noise championship on the master outputs mid show... Like suddenly: WWWAAAAA(/!#(/&!#/(&#¤RRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

In the heat of the moment i instantly grabbed my four input fader, pulled them down, no go, looked at the master meters, shit they are lighting up like a Christmas tree!! jumped to the master mute buttons, nothing(!), then pulled the master fader down... Thankfully that worked. I guess it took about four seconds, but it felt a lot longer. And I can tell you, the audience, about 300 of them jumped out of their seats...

Luckily the venue had a small backup mixer, so the show could go on after a ten minute break..View attachment 8874

Without any master out EQ and very limited features it sounded like someone put three layers of curtain in front of the speakers, but hey it works!

So, anyone else experienced this with a pro 1?

X32s do it often I wonder if there is a similar software or hardware bug causing it?

Sent from my SCH-I545

Re: Midas Pro 1 failure

X32s do it often I wonder if there is a similar software or hardware bug causing it?

Sent from my SCH-I545

They do? Glad I never have any of these problems happen at my shows with the X32. I got mine at launch too. I swear, it had me scared to death to use the thing at first. These breathless reports of issues with the X32 had me holding my damn breath and taking unnecessary precautions. So far... nothing.... at all, but clean audio. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but seriously is it a handling issue maybe? I treat my stuff like I treat myself and I will bite your head off if you handle it wrong every time.

They do? Glad I never have any of these problems happen at my shows with the X32. I got mine at launch too. I swear, it had me scared to death to use the thing at first. These breathless reports of issues with the X32 had me holding my damn breath and taking unnecessary precautions. So far... nothing.... at all, but clean audio. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but seriously is it a handling issue maybe? I treat my stuff like I treat myself and I will bite your head off if you handle it wrong every time.

I have one unit that has been back to the factory twice for the very issue the OP describes, and forums have reported similar with other units. Every once in a while one does this, not every one.

Often enough that it's reported on forums and one of the ~20 I've sold has the problem even after being back at Music Group service.

I own 3, x32, and an X32R... of those, one developed a no boot situation (semi powered-up , no boot sequence) which went back to the music group, exchanged for a qc'd unit. Another had a fader drive gear fail (lack of loctite or whatever their adhesion system is, went into local shop and repaired all faders). That's all the issues I've had to date, and my oldest console is sept 2012. As for the OP question, I watched a youtube video of what looked like a montreal french band with a pro 1 doing the exact same thing... burst of noise spontaneously through the console and all busses. They had to cancel their show and shut down at a club gig. I tried to find it this morning but couldn't....
Looks like digital console issues all around, from the big boys on down... its the big reason why I had no issues pulling the trigger on an X32R, to carry that instead of my LS-9 console as the behringer "back-up"...

found it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sPwAas2RE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCgrIFRm2-h4CYWuCcqQuDw

Last edited:

I own 3, x32, and an X32R... of those, one developed a no boot situation (semi powered-up , no boot sequence) which went back to the music group, exchanged for a qc'd unit. Another had a fader drive gear fail (lack of loctite or whatever their adhesion system is, went into local shop and repaired all faders). That's all the issues I've had to date. As for the OP question, I watched a youtube video of what looked like a montreal french band with a pro 1 doing the exact same thing... burst of noise spontaneously through the console and all busses. They had to cancel their show and shut down at a club gig. I tried to find it this morning but couldn't....
Looks like digital console issues all around, from the big boys on down... its the big reason why I had no issues pulling the trigger on an X32R, to carry that instead of my LS-9 console as the behringer "back-up"...

Will probably search around the web and talk to the Norwegian Midas dealer about this also. Maybe a software update would solve this.
I will not be doing any mixing on that console before some solution is in place. In my opinion this is the worst case scenario, much worse than if the console just stopped working. A blast of noise at full volume, hahah, its almost funny...

And lets not mention the X32 anymore in this thread. Ok?:roll:

Henning....could you describe the sound as a "screeching" sound...a short blast for 4 to 5 secs?

Thanks.

Well, It sounded like a crazy distorted digital overdrive.. It took me about three four seconds to get rid of it. Thank god I got rid of it, because it was terrible for all of us in that venue. I know someone in the audience recorded it with their cellphone, would be interesting to see/hear.

We had an Avid Profile lose control of the DCAs the other day, all of them went to full volume and stayed there, thatn made an impressive noise. Unfortunately this kind of thing will sometimes happen with digital devices and I'll not be suprised if you can't repeat the fault again. The Avid worked perfectly the next day on the same input list and mics etc, we were of course watching it very closely and were glad when the show was over G

I remember one time when one my analog consoles failed.....oh wait...no I don't
(Sorry your console is not working, I really am, but I had to do this) :)

I'd like to back you up Brandon, but I've had my mh2 not power up (power supply) and most recently the left bus is distorted and is like 6 db down... And it's probably going to cost me a third of what it's digital console replacment costs to fix... But hey, stay on top of that horse... Lol

I'd like to back you up Brandon, but I've had my mh2 not power up (power supply) and most recently the left bus is distorted and is like 6 db down... And it's probably going to cost me a third of what it's digital console replacment costs to fix... But hey, stay on top of that horse... Lol

I've heard bad things about Soundcraft MH's, I'm speaking from about 10 years of experience on Mackie SR's, Allen & Heath ML & GL, Soundcraft Series Two, and now Midas as well. I've seen dirty channels, scratchy pots, flakey buttons, but I've never ever seen a "fail-to-boot" or catastrophic show-ending failure from an analog console.

I'm not trying to be "Amish" so to speak, I'm just saying that perhaps the technology is not at "Six-Sigma" (as they say in manufacturing) as of yet...