Midas Pro 1 failure

Re: Midas Pro 1 failure

If you were able to pull the master buss fader down to stop the signal from leaving the desk, would it be possible to put a limiter on the output to act as a safety? This won't save your show, but might save your cabinets. Of course over limiting can cause it's own problems with voice coil burn out since the speaker is no longer able to move the way it was intended but should be fine for a few seconds, maybe?

I've had my LS9-16 for almost three years and have never had an issue with it. I paid handsomely for the R&R case and keep it covered when it sits in a venue when my hands aren't on it.

I'm all about redundancy with gear, but there's a point where you have to stop carrying double everything and know whom to call to get a quick replacement.

Old firmware confirmed. The desk is now updated by house staff. They where told the noise issue was a known problem by the dealer/installer. Now, heres whats bothering me... Why have the dealer/installer not made the venue aware of this? Should they not be warned about this by phone, e-mail? To me that is strange. :roll:

If you were able to pull the master buss fader down to stop the signal from leaving the desk, would it be possible to put a limiter on the output to act as a safety? This won't save your show, but might save your cabinets. Of course over limiting can cause it's own problems with voice coil burn out since the speaker is no longer able to move the way it was intended but should be fine for a few seconds, maybe?

Formula sound do this Formula Sound - AVC2 it doesn't act in the same way as a limiter more a volume control. Basically as the threshold is reached it turns the volume at the level the threshold is set. So no normal limiting just maintence of volume level.

Customer Service.... FAIL !
Why indeed.
In my books, the "dealer/installer" should have stopped by and done the firmware update.

Considering that the Midas dealer in Norway is the first and second largest rental house here and one of the largest in pro audio installs as well, I wouldn't rush to conclusions without knowing all the details. I've had nothing but excellent customer support from them over the years.

Considering that the Midas dealer in Norway is the first and second largest rental house here and one of the largest in pro audio installs as well, I wouldn't rush to conclusions without knowing all the details. I've had nothing but excellent customer support from them over the years.

Agreed, I have no idea of all the ins and outs of this situation. Having said that, my thinking is that is the seller knew of this problem with "old" firmware, and that new firmware would fix the issue, why the heck was it not done, or even recommended to the customer to update ??
I am sure it would have been no biggie to give the "shop rat" a list of phone numbers to call....
Many moons ago, as a shop rat myself, when I wasn't soldering XLR's or de-bugging snakes, I was also given various lists of people to call for various reasons.

Agreed, I have no idea of all the ins and outs of this situation. Having said that, my thinking is that is the seller knew of this problem with "old" firmware, and that new firmware would fix the issue, why the heck was it not done, or even recommended to the customer to update ??
I am sure it would have been no biggie to give the "shop rat" a list of phone numbers to call....
Many moons ago, as a shop rat myself, when I wasn't soldering XLR's or de-bugging snakes, I was also given various lists of people to call for various reasons.

If you were the one in charge of that dealer/rental house, do you think that something like that might end up being "lost in the shuffle" when maintaining their immediate inventory is constantly on their mind? Not to mention keeping track of all the different moving elements. I'm impressed with anyone who can half do it well.

If you were the one in charge of that dealer/rental house, do you think that something like that might end up being "lost in the shuffle" when maintaining their immediate inventory is constantly on their mind? Not to mention keeping track of all the different moving elements. I'm impressed with anyone who can half do it well.

All our digital consoles get firmware updates as soon as we're convinced the update doesn't break anything (usually 2-4 weeks after release). We do them in the shop and I've done them at a gig (not my preferred time/place, but we do what we have to do). We have 8 digital mixers in our inventory. Someone like Clair, with hundreds of consoles, has a dedicated console dept to take care of tracking their mixers and making sure they get updated between tours or upon BE request.

All our digital consoles get firmware updates as soon as we're convinced the update doesn't break anything (usually 2-4 weeks after release). We do them in the shop and I've done them at a gig (not my preferred time/place, but we do what we have to do). We have 8 digital mixers in our inventory. Someone like Clair, with hundreds of consoles, has a dedicated console dept to take care of tracking their mixers and making sure they get updated between tours or upon BE request.

Well, of course you'll keep track of those, but what about sending it out to installs?

Well, of course you'll keep track of those, but what about sending it out to installs?

Why not ?? I do want this customer to see me as a resource (I want the future sales).
Too much of this business is about perception. If I look like I give a shit, it generates revenue.
If it looks like I don't care, why should the customer come back to me ?

Why not ?? I do want this customer to see me as a resource (I want the future sales).
Too much of this business is about perception. If I look like I give a shit, it generates revenue.

I get that, and agree with it. I'd just think that things like that would get lost in the shuffle more often than other things.

Old firmware confirmed. The desk is now updated by house staff. They where told the noise issue was a known problem by the dealer/installer. Now, heres whats bothering me... Why have the dealer/installer not made the venue aware of this? Should they not be warned about this by phone, e-mail? To me that is strange. :roll:

Depending on the venue and who was the dealer/installer, I know that some of these installs have a sort of (yearly) service arrangement where the customer pays for a tech to come out and do a periodical service.

Hi Guys sounds like you are having some big problems with the midas. You should check out the DiGiCo SD Series consoles they are just fantastic. I have a few of these consoles and they have been very reliable! The DiGiCo SD9 has more channel count with 96 channels of full DSP Processing and has a vast array of extras as well as the option of 16 stereo aux's plus left and right. These consoles have been put through their paces and used in every situation imaginable and have preformed flawlessly. Also you have more channels available to you on the surface and a nice big touchscreen.

Last edited:

Hi Guys sounds like you are having some big problems with the midas. You should check out the DiGiCo SD Series consoles they are just fantastic. I have a few of these consoles and they have been very reliable! The DiGiCo SD9 has more channel count with 96 channels of full DSP Processing and has a vast array of extras as well as the option of 16 stereo aux's plus left and right. These consoles have been put through their paces and used in every situation imaginable and have preformed flawlessly. Also you have more channels available to you on the surface and a nice big touchscreen.

Freddie,

This is the third thread you have bumped with borderline spam for another manufacturer. At least this one is not two years old. Do this again and you will be banned. We are all well aware of the DiGiCo consoles here in Varsity, this thread is not about them.

aposter3.jpg

+1:?~:-?~:???: