Midas Venice F16

Steve Ferreira

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hello everyone,

This is my first ever product review. If I missed something or anybody wants more info I can try and get it for you.

We just got ahold of 6 Midas Venice F16's. My first impressions of the console was that this thing is HUGE. For a cnsole that has 8 mono channels and 4 stereo inputs it sits at 23" wide, 26" deep and 11" in height, it also weights 52lbs.

This console has all the bells and whistles, and features that you would expect from a much bigger board. The real input count on this board is 22. Like mentioned before you get 8 mono inputs, 4 stereo mic inputs, 4 stereo line inputs, 2 stereo returns and 1 stereo playback. All the mic inputs have insert points. The outputs section consistes of L/R & mono, 4 groups, 4 auxes, 2 monitor, 2 matrices, and a stereo local out. The groups, monitors, and Master section have inserts. The console also has firewire (which I didn't play with)

Inputs:
The mono inputs have gain, 80hz hpf, mic polarity switch, 48v switch, and a 20db pad. The 48v switch is next to the gain knob and not on the back like the previous Venice, which was a pain if you ask me. It also has an insert on/off switch like on the Verona. The biggest upgrade IMHO to this board is the eq section. You get a parametric eq on this bad boy. The eq sounds very warm, and good.

On the stereo inputs you have 2 1/4" inputs and 2XLR inputs per channel. You get a stripped down eq (fixed). Hpf, 48v, pad, and polarity flip switches. There is also a master/channels switch. This allows the 1/4" inputs to go straight to the master bus, bypassing the eq, fader and all the routing switches, while still allowing the xlr inputs on the same input to go through the regular signal flow down the input. This is great if your in a pinch, Ipod or laptop into the 1/4" input and dvd player or mic into the xlr.

Outputs:
Midas claims 4 auxes and 2 monitor sends, but in theory it's a total of 6 auxes. They all have pre/post switches and the 4 auxes actually have a changeover switch or fader flip. (the aux master goes to the fader and group goes to the knob). The groups all have insert points. For monitoring you have the headphone jack and a L/R local via xlr's on the back of the console. To give you more flexibilty, Midas has included 2 Matrices on the VeniceF. You also get insert points for the Matrices, and you feed the matrices from the 4 groups, mono or L/R busses.
The metering works like the Verona, you get to switch between different outputs via a switch.

From the short time I spent with this console this is what I took from it. Hopefully over the holidays I will be taking it home and then be able to get more indepth.

Pros:
Great eq section on mono inputs
Output flexibility
Sound quality
Matrices
1k Tone generator
Being able to run 2 different sources on the stereo inputs

Cons:
Big footprint for a small input count
Heavy and the roadcase is a monster
Price.... I don't have accurate numbers, but I heard it's in the $4000 range for the F16