ML3000 mute lights stuck on

Jan 14, 2011
Laurel, MS
myspace.com
My A&H ML3000 has 2 or 3 channels where the mute lights will sometimes get "stuck" on, despite the fact that the actual mute functions as it should. One strange thing about it is that sometimes if the board sits out in the sun for a little while it will behave as it should. The board functions perfectly otherwise, but this is annoying as you might imagine. Has anyone run into this? could it be dirty contacts in the switches themselves? I haven't had a chance to tear into yet and spray some contact cleaner if possible.

Re: ML3000 mute lights stuck on

One strange thing about it is that sometimes if the board sits out in the sun for a little while it will behave as it should.

Can you still see the LED's in the sun? :D~:-D~:grin:

Have you tried raising the temperature of it without sunlight, like putting a heater near it in a dark corner of the warehouse?

Chris

My A&H ML3000 has 2 or 3 channels where the mute lights will sometimes get "stuck" on, despite the fact that the actual mute functions as it should. One strange thing about it is that sometimes if the board sits out in the sun for a little while it will behave as it should. The board functions perfectly otherwise, but this is annoying as you might imagine. Has anyone run into this? could it be dirty contacts in the switches themselves? I haven't had a chance to tear into yet and spray some contact cleaner if possible.

The fact the issue goes away with some heat means it's probably a ribbon or Molex connector that's flakey. Not uncommon on aged A&H boards. You might try pinging David Mitchell at AMS who's pretty expert on A&H repairs:

[email protected]

Greg

Thanks for the replies guys, I already spoke to one tech at AMS and they said it could be any number of things. From my past experiences with the Mackie SR40.8 I know just how finicky ribbon cables can be! The console has monitor duty this Saturday, but after that I will have some free time so I may try to get into it over the next few weeks and have a look.

I finally had a chance to get into this console, where I have been before... I removed the ribbon connector from every channel and the groups/main busses and cleaned with appropriate cleaner and then "reseated" each connector about 4 or 5 times. Everything seems to be working great now! We're doing a show on New Years Eve, so we shall see.