Monitor Split

Re: Monitor Split

So this may be a newbie question, but is a rack of mic splitters such as these ( http://www.audiopile.net/products/Electronics/MST-412_rack_splitter/MST-412_cutsheet.shtml ) a perfectly acceptable solution for a monitor split? Or is it preferred to have a splitter snake? Or does it matter as long as it is split and phantom power is sorted out?

Having a standalone unit like that adds a whole bunch of connections (that could go bad) and potentially short XLR cables to patch into a monitor board, but if you have the time and cables it's about the same thing.

Hello

I have used a hard-wired three-way split for 20+ years without problems. Normal use was FOH/monitor split. Naturally all power was taken from single three-phase point with only one ground. Occasionally there was one more desk connected for 24-track recorder. Again power taken from same distribution point. A few times I connected into national radio companys van with third snake, but then we used separate isolation transformers - radio had plenty of those.

So depending of your application - hardwire might be fine. Then if you need 100% independency for all lines ( in case one mixer goes bad and shorts inputs or so.... ) you need to have something more fancy...

Thanks for the insight.

I'm not doing big level events so just trying to see if there was any advantage to doing it one way or the other. My plan was to get 24-32 channels of splits mounted in a rack with a patch snake ( http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch_snakes/MTFM/MTFM-16/MTFM-16_cutsheet.shtml for example) already wired in the rack so setup should be relatively quick and easy.

Maybe its a secret desire to simply have more racks.

Shrug

http://www.cbicables.com/cbi_releases_the_earsplitter.aspx

You can get the CBI earsplitters up to 64 channels, with or without transformers & ground lift switches. I recently had Rapco build a pair of 24 channel rack mounted isolated splits for a recording studio. Radial also sells some very nice units.

But Mike, its a race to the bottom, right? My checkbook already complains regularly. /sarcasm

I used the units the OP mentioned years ago. After a particularly complicated gig that took forever to set up and strike I sat down to figure out how to speed things up.

When I added up all the individual connections we had made that day I was flabbergasted. On the split panel, there was 3 connections per input alone. Then there was the other end of the cables. Adding the rack split more than doubled the connections.
Also, it created some problems to trouble shoot. Knuckles clicking the little rocker switches on the units I had (lift, pad) which made for puzzles at line check.

I replaced it with the EWI poor mans split. Much easier and fewer connections.

Also, patching on hands and knees on the ground was a pain, especially at night.

Wiring up the FX racks was another hassle. I solved that at first with the ELCO disconnects I got from Audiopile and later by moving to a digital desk.

In the end, I went from around 370 individual XLR matings to around 60 with the accompanying time and error savings.

Sent from my iPad HD

just a note in all this. analog multi pin split systems can be had now for pennies on the dollar from big boy companies that have gone all digital. the real bargains are in the really large systems. it's easier to find 56 channel splits cheap than it is to find 32 channel splits cheap. and most come with subnake breakouts and all kinds of other goodies.

at any rate, i wouldn't be buying any of this stuff new at this point. a little trolling on FleaBay and around here and you may find your problems solved for a lot less than you thought they would be.