Monitors. .Adamson (M15&M212)..JBL SRX812/712

John McLeod

Freshman
Sep 9, 2015
Hello gents
looking at putting together a rider friendly. .ish monitor rig.
As some of you may know I'm not afraid to DIY and will for some monitors but I need a rider friendly monitor system... I currently have picked up a couple used srx712m but there are some other local used 712m (but in 9/10 condition+covers)at near the cost of a new 812..
the Adamson boxes are also interesting although the 212 need bi amped with processing (I have a xilica xp4080) and twice the amplifiers for 4 boxes and the m15 is passive/bi amp. .
I have no issues with 15s...Matter a fact with all the Seperate monitor mixes available. . I find a 15" monitor handy...
having said that
I'm looking at 6 adamson 4x m212 and 2x m15
or
8 jbl srx ..3 712m and 5 812
I have not had much experience with either but these are my options
any rider friendly comments appreciappreciated
john

Are you in the United States, or in Canada?

For a typical JV-level rider in the US, at least, the JBL SRX 712 would be far more recognizable to more bands than would Adamson.

If you are in Canada, however, then either brand would probably be immediately acceptable without having to provide further explanation.

Im going with the SRX 800 series but I am in the USA. Im surprised at the prices people are asking for the 700 series still. I guess if you bought in to them and just need a couple more you gotta pay the price but the 800s with built in amps are looking like a good investment.

Im going with the SRX 800 series but I am in the USA. Im surprised at the prices people are asking for the 700 series still. I guess if you bought in to them and just need a couple more you gotta pay the price but the 800s with built in amps are looking like a good investment.

The huge advantage of the 712s are their size and weight. 33lbs vs 58 lbs is pretty significant. Also the physical dimensions of the 712s are much smaller on the 712, which makes for both a cleaner stage and less room needed in the truck for transport.

I personally don't find a powered monitor to be an advantage, as now you have to apply both power and signal to each speaker, and the potential for adjustments to be incorrect on the speaker itself exist, meaning you need to go on stage to fix it. Yes, you could run yet ANOTHER cable for network control, but at that point, just having an amp rack side stage seems like a better choice to me.

Yeah I hear you on the advantages you pointed out. I use my speakers for more than just monitors so I find the versatility of powered stuff advantageous. I do have a few passive setups that I prefer to used in certain situations.
Another thing I usually consider is the ability to re sell the stuff when you are done with it. I think the JBL will have the advantage on that angle as there will be so many people with this 800 series out there.

Another thing I usually consider is the ability to re sell the stuff when you are done with it. I think the JBL will have the advantage on that angle as there will be so many people with this 800 series out there.

My experience has been that passive speakers tend to hold their resale value better than powered stuff. Power amplifier technology is changing rapidly, and when a model is discontinued and components are no longer available, the resale value plummets. With passive boxes, as long as the design is solid, the resale value stays strong. Look at the SRX712's. I can sell my original batch that I bought a decade ago for the price I originally paid for them, if I wanted to. (not going to....) It's pretty amazing, really.