Motorcycles

Re: Motorcycles

Yes, I ride scooters. I've been riding MOL on a daily basis, as weather permits, for approx. 3 1/2 decades. Given my drauthers... I'd just as soon ride as do most anything else... love it, love it, love it. Always have since I was a kid... I dread the day that might come that I can't do that anymore. There's nothing like it that I've found to get your mind right like a crack of dawn putt. It doesn't seem to matter what's sliding down hill on me... a scooter ride seems to get the world back right for me. Mixing a great band on a capable rig to an appreciative crowd comes close... playing bass on a good night or producing stuff that's right on my workbench also comes close... but scooter rides still tops them all.

I'm partial to Harleys... but that's just what seems to fit me.

Oh yea... and: I enjoy standing around, or sitting around bullshitting about scooters too... and tinkering on them when it's too nasty to ride... it's all good.

Last edited:
I have been riding for 4+ decades. I started out with " small " by today's standards bikes. Over the years I moved from sport bikes to cruisers and now on touring scoots.
I agree that there are risks in riding. So is crossing the street in the city. The first 5000 miles are the most dangerous as you do not have the needed skills in muscle memory.
Take an MSF class to get your license. Keep in mind that car & truck drivers don't see bikes as they are conditioned to see larger vehicles.
I ride 7-11 thousand miles a year and I am always expecting someone to pull out in front of me.
It is common for younger dads to put off motorcycles till the kids grow up a bit. I once hit a sinkhole At 23 miles per hour and cartwheeled the bike. I was in a wheelchair for a few months. That was over 10 years ago. I rode to DC last spring, up through northern New England 4th of July weekend and ride out to South Dakota in August.

If you decide to ride, buy a Used bike in the 500-600 cc size to start. You will drop it a few times.

Let us know what you decide.

If you decide to ride, buy a Used bike in the 500-600 cc size to start. You will drop it a few times.

BTW, Suzuki's SV650 has proven to be one of the absolute best beginner bikes around. It's light enough to handle easily, but powerful enough that you won't want to trade it in immediately. It's sporty, but still comfortable, and can be outfitted to tour, race, cruise, or whatever you want it to do.

Oh yeah, there's not much plastic to break when you do drop it. And drop it, you will.

IMG_1048.jpg

I would say gas mileage is horrible in any motorcycle! A diesel Jetta can get 50MPG and haul four people and their stuff in air conditioned comfort. Many bikes have worse mileage than that and are really only personal transportation plus whatever you can fit in a backpack.

Agree... some of the newer bikes are better because they have electronic fuel injection... but even up until the mid 00's many bikes were carbureted. My bike could barely muster 40MPG and it was only an 800cc.

I'll third Tim and Rob's suggestion to take the MSF course. My instructors were great guys. Very helpful. When I took the course about 8 years ago I had never ridden at all. They had everyone in the class fairly capable in about 2 hours. Once we got to the tougher stuff, they could point out EXACTLY what I was doing wrong, and fix it in a snap. My dad and I both took it, and it was a lot of fun. It's worth it even if you are never getting a bike.

I dropped my bike once, and nearly tore my forearm muscle to keep it from rolling onto the pipes. Luckily I was with another more experienced rider who quickly dismounted his bike and helped me get mine upright... all because some lady couldn't wait her turn in a parking lot and cut me off. Rule numero uno with respect to brakes... DON'T hit the front brake with the wheel in anything other than the straight position. Even at 0.5 MPH in a parking lot. You *will* drop it. Unless you built like Hulk Hogan circa 1985.

The 800 I had was a little too much weight to start out with, looking back. However, I'm 6'1" and I got cramps after about an hour or so of riding. It was always worse at the beginning of the season but I never quite got used to that. A bike with a more upright position may help, I wanted a cruiser so that's what I got.

This thread has been great.

The MSF course was a MUST do for me to get a bike. I don't think it's wise at all to place your life in the hands of something that, if not operated properly, could kill me. That said, I've actually decided to not get in to riding right now.

Given some of the stuff I read, and further inspection of my own heart regarding it, I can't really justify right now. I have so many other things I could put money in to, I.E. a SMAART rig. Which is what I'm really trying to learn more about. It's something I can invest in, and maybe one day see a return on my investment. And, the added security I can give to my wife is priceless(thanks TJ). She actually doesn't even know yet. :)

One day, I'd love to ride and get there. But I think I was letting my eyes and desires get bigger than my wallet, and the current common sense that applies to my life right now. Let's just say I'll be living jealously of all you riders on here. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I started out on British bikes (BSA A10 Gold flash, BSA B33 Gold stars etc), Toyed breifly with Yammys then had a Honda CB400F for around 25 years..at which point I realised some TLC might be needed, but the rotten govt pushed the compulsary accedent compensation insurance beyond $500 a year so I sold it last year. Thought I could become an ex-motorcyclist, but was looking whistfully at the new Bonnevilles the other day, so I may have to reevaluate....

Attachments

• DSCN0396.JPG
    DSCN0396.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 0

That sounds like a good decision. I see lots of aging (overweight) boomers riding around on shiny bikes, so in 20 years there should be lots of used ones for sale cheap. I saw an odd one the other day, not a trike, but a boomer betty on a 2 wheeler with what looked like smaller training wheels bolted to either side of the normal sized back wheel. I don't know how well you could turn without leaning but it looked stable as it rolled by.

I recall that riding my bike was exhilarating. Over time you get a little numb to it, but as i recall there were death defying near misses almost every time out. It does require full attention and concentration. Intense concentration like that is mentally stimulating. Not only looking for other traffic, but typically inconsequential things like some sand or wet leaves on the road surface (or if you roll in MS sleeping dogs). Then there's the oil that comes up on the road surface after the first rain in a while (a good reason not to cruise the middle of the lane then). A car can lose grip on one wheel and you won't even notice. with a bike you notice.

re: carrying weight in a back pack, I once put a case of beer in my back pack, and the higher center of mass made unintentional wheelies easier :-( In general I would advise against doing that.

JR

I think if I had been riding dirt bikes or things of the like since I was younger, it would be a different story. I'd have more knowledge of these things going in to this. But, I decided to invest my money in finally getting a SMAART rig. Bought my first mic and my interface last night. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I dunno. As I said, I'm jealous of all you riders out there. But, having something that could return it's invest for me, is worth it at this point.

I think if I had been riding dirt bikes or things of the like since I was younger, it would be a different story. I'd have more knowledge of these things going in to this. But, I decided to invest my money in finally getting a SMAART rig. Bought my first mic and my interface last night. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I dunno. As I said, I'm jealous of all you riders out there. But, having something that could return it's invest for me, is worth it at this point.
Decisions, decisions...

Others here have suggested there is no ROI involved with owning and riding scooters. I'd tend to agree concerning the metric bikes I've owned... or fixed for others. However, I've arguably made money on every SAE bike I've owned... but then I own a $30K - $50K replacement value toolbox... and I really like tinkering on scooters.

I'll suggest if a shiney new bike is bought off the showroom floor... figure a dollar a mile depreciation for the first 5K - 10K miles... much like many or most vehicles. After that the depreciation can diminish considerably, but the repair and maintanance can start to become a factor.

My daily rider is an '06 FLHTCU 88 cube I bought wrecked for about $5K... I put about $1K into fixing it up... and a full weekend of wrenching. I'd suspect it books for about $10K... I dunno... don't care. It fits me and is the right tool for the job.

I just came upstairs from my shop to my office... been tinkering around on my '75 FXE (our sacred cow) this afternoon after the whistle blew. I bought that bike in '76 for $1,200. I've wore out a couple of odometers on that bike and tinkered on it some... ok... maybe a lot. I'll part with it when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

Liz and I don't have a lot of pictures of us over the years... but it seems like the ones we really charish generally involve tunes, scooters, and/or family.

Oh... and I'll offer: If your better 1/2 has a hankering to go for scooter rides... I suggest you consider the suggestion, whatever it takes... as she's about 18 times more in-tune to some things than you probably are... and maybe she's got a good idea there. Just saying.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, there's not much plastic to break when you do drop it. And drop it, you will.

IMG_1048.jpg
A crash bar can really help if you flop the 2 wheeled machine on it's side.

I think anyway.

The last bike I laid over in any serious way was a Honda 55... back in about 1972. I wish somebody had a camera back then to record the episode... I suspect it was glorious.

Get me drunk... and I suspect I'd offer the story. Probably good campfire foddar.

BTW: possibly one of the all-time classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh0ba2-X_8

another classic (my goodness):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxFLqOgTwf4&feature=related

Last edited:

A crash bar can really help if you flop the 2 wheeled machine on it's side.

I think anyway.

The last bike I laid over in any serious way was a Honda 55... back in about 1972. I wish somebody had a camera back then to record the episode... I suspect it was glorious.

Get me drunk... and I suspect I'd offer the story. Probably good campfire foddar.

LOL

This bike fell over while parked. Just had to take a pic of it. It was a real windy day and it was on the sidestand, but was parked too upright, because I put a rock under the kickstand. Wind blew it over.

This bike is made for big time highway miles, yet is still able to head offroad a little. Its got a good amount of clearance and shock travel. For that reason I put a bash pan and crash bars on it. The side cases are thick aluminum with welded seams and very strong too. I've dropped it a few times off road, and once at about 15 mph on road with negligible damage.

I think my next set of tires are gonna be knobbies. Probably going to stick around the home turf this year and explore the fire trails.

LOL

I think my next set of tires are gonna be knobbies. Probably going to stick around the home turf this year and explore the fire trails.

My old Yami DT360 had combo street-knobbies, and there was one bridge I had to cross every day in Westport that had an open metal grating, that would make the tires go all wobbly because of the spacing of the holes in the grate and the tires. Luckily it was short and straight, but it felt like the bike was only loosely in in contact with the road surface on that bridge.

JR

I'm in the same boat and want a motorcycle. I said no 5 years ago when all my friends got bikes, and I'm glad. every single one of them except 1, who put less than 1000 miles on his has dumped it. My one friend did it in record time. bought it on the friday before memorial day, that monday (Memorial Day) I got a call to see if I could drive out with my pickup to pick him up. He fell doing 70 MPH on a 2 lane highway. 1 Sprained ankle and a sore shoulder was all he recieved.

I've had other friends to much worse. Thats why I'm still stuck on finding an old 70's Honda CB350ish. Cheap and small. and I can buy it outright and not feel bad about losing money on it.

I agree with Mike about the new Bonnevilles or even the scramblers Triumph has.... Thats what I eventually want to move to.

I've had other friends to much worse. Thats why I'm still stuck on finding an old 70's Honda CB350ish. Cheap and small. and I can buy it outright and not feel bad about losing money on it.

The odd thing is that if you keep it long enough and don't bend it, you won't loose money on it. Old bikes (assuming you don't choose a dog in the first place) follow a bathtub curve of value (kinda like high end vintage audio gear) . I sold my CB400F for many times what I bought it for, and anyone who has an old Vincent HRD (or even an unbent Kawasaki 500 triple, many of which killed their young riders) is sitting on a small fortune. There's a fine line between old junk and desirable collectable.
M

My old Yami DT360 had combo street-knobbies, and there was one bridge I had to cross every day in Westport that had an open metal grating, that would make the tires go all wobbly because of the spacing of the holes in the grate and the tires. Luckily it was short and straight, but it felt like the bike was only loosely in in contact with the road surface on that bridge.

JR

That sounds like the Saugatuck bridge near the train station.

Mac

That sounds like the Saugatuck bridge near the train station.

Mac

Yup, I used to work in an office in that little shopping center right by the bridge. The train station was a block or so over.

But that bridge was always a thrill... Westport was also where I got hit by the moving tree, a couple miles from there.

JR